LegacyGT.com

First gen turbo from Croatia

Well... here it is.

1991 Legacy turbo awd.... Bought it today, also my first subaru, before it i had 2 mazda 323 (protege) first generation... i was in love with first one :lol: because i grew up in it and got all my automobile/driving knowledge on that car... it has been totaled 3 times, not by my fault, and i almost repaired it third time too, but had to let go... it was truly an amazing car, just loved it.

Back to subie.... as said, my frist one, so i dont know much about them, just the facts...

To point out the problems with it first.... i need new gauge cluster because previous owner tampered with this one so backlight rarely works, and fuel gauge doesnt work...

Second, the cap for powersteering fluid keeps falling of... as soon as i start driving it falls of... so it got a DIY fix untill i find a dealer and buy a new one, or untill someone here tells me something about it that i dont know?

Other problems are listed under "common", engine sputter at low rpm, hate it, and squeaky clutch...

Car itself isnt a beauty now... it has 15" steel rims, and rear fender flares were fixed (rust) and painted with spray or something similar so it looks bad... but for now im not so much about the looks of it, since i dont even own it for 24h :D

Also, over here, they are extremely rare, so pretty much no one knows what it is, making it one hell of a sleeper.

Im sure i forgot something i wanted to say but its 3:30 am here and it has been a day full of excitement for me so... :)

Pic(s) (will take more tommorow)

The car, obviously

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3364/34139041.jpg

The cap problem :redface:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4381/cepq.jpg

Bok RPA! Ugodno iznenađenje :) treba mi instrument tabla za njega, otvorit ću temu za to najvjerojatnije, na ovoj mi ne radi kazaljka za gorivo, i pozadinsko osvjetljenje.

Clark, google it :) Croatia is east of Italy, on beautiful Adriatic sea :)

I have many questions about this car, unfortunatly because of nature of my job i dont have a lot of time to read articles on internet and so.... and i just bought it so im waiting for the weekend to have a really good look at it.... does it have rear LSD?

Tnx

The 91's from the US were equipped with the rear LSD.

However, I'm not quite sure where your car originated from, I see the headlight washers, and the engine bay is different than our USDM cars, so some available options may vary depending on where the car came from.

I think it was imported from Switzerland.

Btw, anybody got a picture or a how to on temporarly installing a boost gauge, got one and id like to check the pressure, but dont know where to plug it in easiest.... there are i think 3 small pipes near throttle body, there maybe?

Btw got the cap problem fixed so i no longer have a bandage under the hood lol

Its now been two weeks with car... so by now i`ve managed to spot problems that need fixing... some are urgent, some are less urgent...but still.

Im still looking for this :-/

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123490

Also, i have a leaky sunroof... drain pipes work, but obviously something is wrong and it leaks on left and right side...

Clutch pedal sometimes wont fully return (?!?).. clutch does engage, but pedal doesnt go back completely so i have to get my leg under it and "pop" it back... lol.... dunno whats causing that?

Something is wrong with shifter linkage, or atleast i think so, because it feels kinda sketchy, more like on a Yugo than a Subaru... and i know that previous owner did something with it....

Problem with ventilation control... when i hit the button to direct vents to windshield, it makes a clicking noise.... quite fast, click click click... like something inside dash wont switch...

Needs new clutch... still doesnt slip a lot, but it soon will.... any recommendations?

One of things that worry`s me most is a strange (altough it sounds awesome and intimidating :D ) whine from gearbox in first gear... and shifting to fourth is sometimes difficult, no matter how slow i shift, it grinds a bit.. like a bad syncro...

And ofcourse, a basic service... thats a must...

Im thinking about removing catalyc converters in order to make it "exhale" easier and to get the turbo to spool sooner and faster, how much difference does better exhaust and intake do on this car? A friend of mine has mazda 323 gtr and just with minor intake mods and exhaust, power went from 185 to 240hp...

Thank You all for all replys so far and new ones to come :D I have more questions but cant remember now... and i think this is enough questions for one post lol....

tnx

clicking could mean an a/c recharge? something wrong with the vents, but I know what you're talking about; my friend is looking at getting a 95 galant and when he switches between cabin recirculation and outside ventilation, it makes a fast, obnoxious click that won't go away unless put back in cabin recirculation mode. dealer said it needed a freon recharge; that's all I know about ventilation clicking haha

• 3 weeks later...

Its "aftermarket"... the sticker you see on the back is for a small workshop that fixes exhaust systems, and previous owner of the car owns the shop so he put that on... It sounds kinda nice, but i dont like the way it looks... also, custom pipe coming from stock pipe to this muffler is too small so it acts like a restrictor, lol...

Car is now in urgent need of a new clutch because its almost undriveable with this one, completely dead... and im really pissed because my salary is 2 and a half months late... and there are some other things that need repairs on car.

About clutch, over here i dont have much choice, but i managed to find a guy that sells Helix clutch kits and i decided to go for 6 spoke helix clutch disk. What do you guys think about that? Any expiriences with such clutch disks?

that clutch will make the car undrivable. i believe u can use a stock wrx clutch, also look into ACT or Exedy Street Clutches. anything with pucks is used for racing cars with high HP. you want a street clutch.

as for the exhaust. change out the midpipe to a 2.5 or 3" and i personaly like the muffler tip.

Tnx for the clutch advice, i had many toughts about that and now im sure i`ll use a normal clutch disc.... one more question, flywheel, is it one piece or made out of two discs? Because if its not "solid", then i should probably change the flywheel too?

coupon: theres open, closed and semi closed. i posted pics to show u the difference. notice the cylinder walls around the piston area and you will see the difference.

this is an open deck used on mostly N/A subaru engines.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attachments/engine-modifications/13540d1064500331-closed-deck-vs-open-deck-stage1.jpg

this is a closed deck used on the earlier turbo engines. (the US only saw these closed deck engines from 91-94 and were 2.2L. they dont make these blocks anymore and these engines are rare and range from 500-1000 for just the block used. (i have 3 of them...;))

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attachments/engine-modifications/13542d1064500414-closed-deck-vs-open-deck-turbo_block_stage3.jpg

STI's used a SEMI closed deck that looks like this.

http://www.powerlabs.org/images/P3310337_small.JPG

Japanac:

ur flywheel is a one piece unit. my only suggestion would be to resurface it. do not get a light weight flywheel unless u plan on NOT driving this car eveyday and/or u have over 400whp.

Archived