LegacyGT.com

DIY: Interior upgrade - alcantara + black paint!!!

vlad_b

Dash - wouldn't be that difficult to do, but I'm afraid to mess with airbag deployment.

I'm thinking about instrument hood, but since it's not a separate part - you can't just wrap it. Some creative solution necessary

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is that flat black paint? Duplicolor bumper paint correct? looks good.

Yes. It's extremely close match to cupholder part and nav panel. It looks totally stock. So people who don't know - have no idea that's not how it came from the factory :)

vlad, everything looks great. How long did it take you to do it all? Where bouts in GR do you live? You get your car from Delta Subaru?

Took me about 4 nights, few hours at a time. I live in Caledonia, and yep, got car from Delta. I was shopping for an Audi a4, when the salesman I knew said that I can get something much faster for less money. I glad I listened. Although some parts of the Suby interior always made me wish for better materials.

Nice job on this. The stereo and shifter surround look very nice. When you had the radio apart, is it possible to change the light colors?

Yes, I've seen a walk-through on it somewhere here. The guy used colored film or something like that.

Actually, I decided to go a step (or two) further and put alcantara on instrument hood. In order to do that proper, I need to create a mold of the hood, and then make a fiberglass copy of the surface. Than I'll wrap it in alcantara and put on top of existing hood. Lots of work. But shouldn't be that difficult. Fun fun fun. :)

If it all goes well, the next step will be alcantara wrapped gauges pod on top of the nav!

excellent! I dig it. I'm looking for some Alcantara to match my STI....I'd like to do the instrument hood and maybe the dash. Like the STI 'Carbon' model

http://cache-05.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/09/500x_subaru_wrx_sti_carbon_3.jpg

• 8 months later...
Did you do the instrument hood?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Did you do the instrument hood?

No. I tried to make a mold from my own panel using drying clay, but it deformed too much after drying. And I can't find a salvage panel to make a real good mold, and I don't have money to waste on buying a brand new panel. :(

hmmm ideas now for the shift boot and hand brake cover as I know the leather will probably crack. Im on my 2nd set of leather.

I made probably 10K miles since that post and alcantara still looks like new! :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
I can confirm today, 7 years later this STILL looks mint. (i am the new owner of the car, snooping through your posts to find out about the car haha)

Haha, world is a small place!Have fun

I just remembered re this topic - I meant to put a metal button to close the boot around the shifter... and never got to do it. It's your problem now :)

Archived