LegacyGT.com

Keys locked in car...

So I went to the Topsfield Fair today with the girlfriend and the roomate, plus my best friend and his girlfriend who took a separate car, and upon returning to the car we realized that the car was locked with the keys in the ignition. I will admit, I can come off like an A-hole on the internet, but in real life I tend to meet friends left and right. I went around asking random people for a "Slim Jim" or a metal coat hanger until I found one guy, an attendant at the parking lot I parked in, who had one in his truck. We got his "Slim Jim" and talked about how he gave some hot girl a piggy back ride to avoid all the mud from the rain before he opened my door. He opened my door and I offered him a small amount of money, which he declined,

Moral of the story? Don't lock your keys in the car, and always remove your keys from the ignition before locking the doors. I usually leave the keys in the car at work and at home, which is a very bad habit. At least I remembered to take my radio faceplate off. :lol:

How many people have a similar story?

I remember when my tail light was broken. I was at the supermarket and locked my keys in the trunk. I simply ripped the tail light off with one brutal tug and reached inside the hole to retrieve the keys. People were staring at me like I was crazy, but I got my keys so what did I care...? :lol:

Perhaps you already know but our 05, if the key is left in the ignition, will not allow locking of the doors (unless one locks all 4 of them manually). I did however lock our keys into the trunk when I was retrieving something for my wifey. Another time I accidentally locked them in the car (out of the ignition). That's when I saw how easy it is for a knowing person to get into our cars without the framed windows......

I had a cheap passive alarm installed in my '93 wagon that would lock all the doors when the alarm set itself. Fortunately the only times it happened to me was in my driveway and once when I had the rear hatch opened. I haven't had a passive alarm since.

It's called carry a spare key.

Regardless of the car I've owned, having a bad experience waaay back when, I haven't left my house but maybe three times in over 20 years without a 2nd key and then it was accidental.

O.

i leave my keys in my car at home too. i take em out of the ignition and throw em right in the shift boot. i dont at work though, and the only reason i do it at home is cause i live in a very nice neighborhood and my nextdoor neighbor is paranoid about everything and has outside cameras that can see my driveway.

• 3 weeks later...
My first car was a 1993 Ford laser, locked the keys in the car, we were just out of town. Fortunately, dad had the new B4 ('02 turb) there. So I had a quick blast in his car from my car to home and back again. Loved legacies ever since :)

Well, a few weeks ago i went to a park to run my dog and when I came back I realized that my keys were no longer in my pocket - i dropped it in the grass somewhere and there was no way to find them.

I was far from home and my phone was in the car and i borrowed a phone to get AAA to come open the car for me but I had no end-game besides calling a locksmith to cut a key on the spot... luckily, I forgot all about a duplicate I made at home depot in the glove compartment - if I was more organized, I would have brought the duplicate into the house for backup. Thankfully I wasn't.

Good thing no-one tried to steal my GPS because they would have gotten a car as well.

Archived