LegacyGT.com

noise driving me up the wall, passenger side.

• 1 month later...
Open the car door, and try lightly pulling up on the mirror. Also, BMWs with frameless windows have a built-in mechanism to roll down the window slightly and then back up once the door is closed. This helps to make a better seal on the rubber trim. Try doing that manually when you get in the car.

My wife's 01 outback had wind noise from the "mirror gusset seal". With the door closed you could see there was a gap between the seal and the glass. The seal is the vertical rubber seal immediately aft of the mirror, up against the glass.

I bought a replacement mirror gusset seal, which is actually the whole mirror mount, for $93. About an hour to install (door panel and mirror had to come off) and the seal now sits perfectly flat against the glass and no more wind noise.

i have a cheap fix for that gap! works so far on 3 older subaru's i know. i got some rubber door edge trim protectors, or whatever you call them, from walmart. roll the window down, cut the rubber edge trim to fit and slide them onto the gusset seal. roll the window back up and it should now seal with the window.

this stuff, but i got it in black at walmart.

http://www.ocmazdaspeed.com/Pictures/06_MX-5_DoorEdgeGuards.jpg

i only experience that noise when I get a cross wind while driving... it's a howling noise coming from the mirror... my old Legacy 2.5i did the same thing (hey look at that same design)... what REALLY annoys me is when I'm driving with the windows down the rear seatbelt flaps like it's job! and when you buckle it... the seatbelt STILL flaps... So dumb.

Archived