LegacyGT.com

98 legacy 2.5 turbo or sti

derrickmd18

HI forum. I'm getting a 98 subaru legacy and i want to either drop in a sti motor or turboing a 2.5 motor. Pretty much i'm going to do a drop because the existing motor has 200K on it and i'm getting another motor and building it for performance. I'm trying to keep swapping time to a somewhat minium so looking to see all I need before I get to taking the car apart and everything. I have past experence with vw motor used to have a vw scirocco turbo 16v on 10:1 compression running TEC2 management.

here is a few questions I have:

1. i know the sti motor is a drop in but what about the wiring? what has to get changed and what other parts do I get besides a complete motor?
  2. If I do turbo a 2.5 motor what has to be done ECU wise to run the turbo?
  3. How much HP can the drive train hold?
  4. exhaust. is there a kit or can the factory legacy exhaust work of I do sti?
  5. fuel what are you'll doing about fuel? can the stock pump support the wrx are are you'll using another pump?

i cant find the thread, but it was explained about the wiring when doing this. subarus are not like, lets say a honda, where you have a wiring harness and computer that runs the engine, and a separate harness and computer that runs the car itself. thats why is so easy to swap a civic engine with a prelude. subarus have one computer and one harness for the car and the engine. and wrx's have different sensors and such, then a legacy. so its not just take the old out, put the new in, and retune. i have acually seen a wrx motor put into an 05 legy, and it was a wiring nightmare. and they had to have an onboard computer separate from the ecm to run it. its not easy and it takes a lot of wiring troubleshooting. your best bet would be to buy an 05 lgt motor and tranny, and swap that with yours. and thats not saying that it will be take out and put in. theres still gonna be some converting to do, but not nearly as bad as a wrx swap.

and as far as the power a stock legy drivetrain can handle, im pretty sure its about 250hp before you have problems

If you do a swap, you will most definitely need to do a transmission and a full ECU swap. This, as mentioned above, can be quite a hassle. Of course, it all depends on who is doing this swap and how many helpful heads will be around during the swap.

If you turbo an EJ25 N/A motor, you will need to keep the boost below 8psi (recommended 6psi for full safety) but it will boost the HP to about 100 over current. So, a stock EJ25 boosted at 6psi will produce about 265-270 HP (around 210-220 at the wheels.) This is a very simple thing to do but will only provide you with a little extra "umpf." If you aren't going to be satisfied with that much HP, you should avoid the EJ25 turbo mission. However, if you feel that will be adequate, you will need a piggy-back for the ECU in order to run the turbo efficiently and prevent engine damage. I am using a Perfect Power SMT-6 piggy-back and it's great. ;)

The stock BD/BG EJ25 drivetrain can put up with roughly 300 HP before you begin breaking stuff. Hence the reason you would need to do a tranny swap if you plan on producing lots of power.

For the most part, a factory exhaust will work fine with an STi swap. However, there will be a tiny amount of modification where the down-pipe meets the cat(s)/cat-back exhaust. This shouldn't pose much of a problem though. You can do it yourself or have a shop do it for a minimal amount of cash.

The stock fuel pump will be able to provide an STi engine with an efficient amount of fuel to run it. However, an STi fuel pump (which isn't too difficult to find and swap out) is highly recommended as it will most definitely provide enough fuel to run your swapped engine and allow for full fuel transfer. Also, if you plan on upgrading your injectors (and you should ;) ) you will NEED at least an STi fuel pump. At that point though, you might as well just go balls out and do an E85 conversion...

Hope that helps!

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

The piggy-back came with my AVO turbo kit. However, you can still buy them from Perfect Power directly ( http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp .) They're phasing them out to make room for the SMT-8 too. I have no experience with the SMT-8 so I'm not sure if waiting is the best idea or not. But, the SMT-6 should provide you with whatever you're looking to do. Good luck!

Eh. I would have to disagree to an extent. Providing you have the money to spare, an STi swap into a BD/BG chassis would be much cheaper (and MUCH more awesome) than simply trading it in for an STi. Plus, what's cooler than a LegaSTi?! ;)

Eh. I would have to disagree to an extent. Providing you have the money to spare, an STi swap into a BD/BG chassis would be much cheaper (and MUCH more awesome) than simply trading it in for an STi. Plus, what's cooler than a LegaSTi?! ;)

because a legacy sti has already been produced, they only made 500 of them but still, their out there somewhere

well here is what i'm planing to do. i'm going to swap the wrx turbo parts over to the legacy and use emanage ultimate and just drive it. later i'll be rebuilding a spare motor with sti pistons and rods and crank in a 2.5N/A block then swapping the trans to manual and turning up the boost.

well here is what i'm planing to do. i'm going to swap the wrx turbo parts over to the legacy and use emanage ultimate and just drive it. later i'll be rebuilding a spare motor with sti pistons and rods and crank in a 2.5N/A block then swapping the trans to manual and turning up the boost.

A 2.5 N/A block will, without any doubt, blow a piston wall the moment you boost over 8psi. It's recommended to only boost 6psi to a 2.5 N/A block. Otherwise, your work will be fruitless. :(

A 2.5 N/A block will, without any doubt, blow a piston wall the moment you boost over 8psi. It's recommended to only boost 6psi to a 2.5 N/A block. Otherwise, your work will be fruitless. :(

not even that. these 2.5 engines are so frail. i had a guy give me a richer tune, i noticed a huge difference in the torque but a month later i cracked a cylinder wall

Well, I successfully ran 6psi of boost for a long time without any issues at all. Granted, I didn't beat the piss out of it either. ;)

oh that was cold:redface:. i dont really. a few off roading adventures, 1 unorganized rallyx at a badass spot. i will admit though when i first got it i did beat the crap out it cause it is the 2nd fastest car ive owned. i dont know if you followed me on one of the previous threads but ive always had cars classified under low'n'slow. my fastest car was a second gen rx7 that was built pretty well. but since i blew this motor last november ive been pretty nice to it.

Haha. I didn't mean it that way at all actually. I just meant generally speaking I don't beat the piss out of my car. I was in no way stating that you personally beat your car up. Lol.

Archived