LegacyGT.com

98 legacy 2.5 turbo or sti

derrickmd18

• 4 weeks later...
i think he means if you change the cylinders?block, then you can bump up the boost and not blow a wall out. not really an sti just has the stonger walls. is this correct. i have been sitting on these forums for 2 hours reading my eyes out and i think i finally helped someone?

That is what I meant. Seems that the weakness in the 2.5 is the cylinder walls. So that means there is no point in trying to take a 2.5 and boosting it up over 8 psi. You guys are saying the walls are weak. So the sti swap has to be the way to go?

depends. idk much about this yet but wouldn't it be cheaper to get a block with thick walls to yuo can boost to 150psi. duh haha. not rele. wait if you get a new block eould the coolent cavitys not...well like connect? i think i get it. but i have a 2.5(not sure yet casue the dude change the engine out and i dont have it in front of me) and i wanted to go the turbo route.

• 1 month later...

Late to the thread, but I'll add my .02 cents, since I've already been down this road.

The stock legacy tranny is not adequate. It's fine if you don't swap it initially, just don't expect it to last for very long. You can say you will be gentle with the fun pedal, but it is a lie and you know it. My hybrid transmission (legacy case with wrx gears) lasted one year before it exploded.

The project, put me out of my car for about 3 maybe 4 months. Consider that if the car is your only transportation.

Why are you doing the swap? Do you have any money already invested in the car?

For me, I already had significant mods into the car with stereo and suspension components. Power was the final one. Of course when I went down this path, the US Turbo Leggy cars were not available. Just before I did the swap I test drove the new turbo legacy, and realized I'd lose a bunch of money selling my stuff, and upgrading the suspension on the new car.

Unless you love your car, and have significant investments into the car, I would strongly urge you to just buy a WRX, STI, or turbo legacy. You will never recoup your money.

On a side note, it is rewarding to have something different. But even my car has some weaknesses a STI does not have, and it will take further investment on my part to eliminate them.

Archived