LegacyGT.com

Need Help ASAP PLEASE

Hello Everyone,

I just spent 16 hours in a car driving from winnipeg manitoba to sault ste marie MI in the rain, in a car that it felt like I was driving on ice. The roads were damp to wet, not pouring rain by any means, and if I would hit a bump or dip in the road the backend of the car felt like it wanted to turn the car around. The car is a 2006 legacy sedan non turbo. I just had the car in for an oil change, regular maintenance, as well as they replaced the front struts which involved a wheel alignment. I had just made this same trip in august in the pouring rain, and the car drove fine, so something between then and now has made my car drive like crap. I am thinking I should take the car in and have the tires checked as well as a 4 wheel alignment, but there are no subaru dealers anywhere near here, so I was hoping someone would have a bit of insight as to what may be the issue.

Please someone shed some light on this issue, I head back to winnipeg on sunday of this week... so I kinda need this fixed before the drive home, very dangerous driving:eek:.....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE:spin:

Thank you so much

WinnipegSubaru:confused:

Oops, sorry forgot to post one other comment, that when I had the car in the dealer less than a month ago, they told me not to change the tires yet as they still had lots of tread left on them, also yes they are the stock tires, and I did stop and check the tire pressure, for some reason they were low, so I put air in them, it did make a difference but not enough. As for slowing down, that is what we did which got us here alive and without incident, but for a car that 3 months ago drove fantastic in a down pour, to now barely being able to keep it on the road makes me feel there is something very wrong....

But thank you all for the quick replies

Hello Everyone,

I just had the car in for an oil change, regular maintenance, as well as they replaced the front struts which involved a wheel alignment.

WinnipegSubaru:confused:

Was this work done just prior to this trip? If not,is this the first time you have driven the car in the rain after the work was completed?Why were the struts replaced? Blown,leaking,or related to other factors? Were you given a printout of your alignment with pre and post alignment specs?

I ask many questions so that others may be more helpfull.

was this work done just prior to this trip? If not,is this the first time you have driven the car in the rain after the work was completed?why were the struts replaced? Blown,leaking,or related to other factors? Were you given a printout of your alignment with pre and post alignment specs?

I ask many questions so that others may be more helpfull.

+1

All this work was done, maybe a month before this trip, but this was the first time the car had been on the highway since the work was done. The front struts were leaking so they replaced them under warrenty. No I was never given a printout of the specs of the alignment.

And I very much appreciate the questions, these questions I did not think to post anything about so any info that I can provide to help with an idea on who to take the car to, in order to get it fixed is very welcome.

This site is awsome FYI :)

Just wanted to give you all an update on the status.....

I took the car to an alignment shop and they told me it was all ship shape, so I ordered a set of tires from tire rack (as this small town doesnt have any make of tire in my size) and they are set to be here on friday, and a local tire shop will put them on for me friday night or saturday morning, just in time for me to get going back home, and we will see how it handels with new tires.

Thanks all for your help, and I will let you know how everything works out.

It's got to be the tires. Between my wife and I we've owned 5 AWD Subarus and the only time I've had any problem on wet roads were on worn stock or mismatched tires. Subaru has a tendency to put severely inadequate tires on their vehicles. The RE92s, for example, lose most of the little grip they have in the rain by ~10k miles, after that you might as well be driving on your rims. The Yokos may be better but probably not much.

My Legacy came with Yokohama Advans A82A's, and that is what I put back on, they seem to do very well in a winnipeg climate, the tires showed up today (which was about a day and a half early from what tirerack told me) but whos to complain about that. So tires came, took them to a local tire shop and they installed. cost 110 us to have them installed.

Just as a side note question, what air pressure do you guys run your tires at? The A82A's are max 44psi, but the tire shop put about 38psi in them.... what is your opinion?

Also, do you think it is worth my while to get a wheel alignment done? The car doesnt pull at all, but I am wondering if the camber is off or somthing like that? Thoughts?

Thank you all for your help.

You need opinion on tire pressure?

Check what Subaru has to say on a sticker in driver's door ajar opening.

By the way, by choosing OE tires you probably bought the most overpriced tires you could have bought. $175.00 buys you a lot of choices. For a little bit less you could have bought

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (both very good and very expensive tires).

Krzys

I decided to go with what was on the car because I know how they perform in the weather conditions that my city gets, and I have been very happy with them. That being said, I also didnt have a whole lot of time to research other options as I am on a time crunch.

That also being said, I was looking for what other people run their tire pressure at, as subaru spec isnt always the best spec to go by.

Thank you all for your contribution to this thread, I head back on sunday, I will post if the tires have done the trick.

Archived