LegacyGT.com

WTF is up with the clutch replacement cost??

94sportsedan

I have a grinding/scraping noise that changes pitch when I put my clutch pedal in.It only happens on a cold start up and lasts a few minutes. There is no noise when things are warmed up. So I decided to take it to my local Subaru dealer. They told me my extended warranty doesn't cover if it's a worn out clutch. I told them I have no gear grinding or clutch slippage. I don't know why I bought an extended warranty if it doesn't even cover a clutch replacement. They want $540 in labor and $920 for parts to replace the flywheel and clutch.

2 questions

1. Does the extended warranty not cover a worn out clutch at 73k miles? I belive it's a bad throw-out bearing anyway.

2. Is it supposed to cost $1460 for a clutch replacement?

The stock dual-mass flywheel is expensive... they are probably factoring that in. You can get out of the DMFW by using a WRX flywheel setup... cheaper and better if you are above stock power (DMFW isn't designed for upgraded power).

A clutch is a wear item. Most manufacturers warranty that for 12 months, 12,000 miles. Subaru covers it for 36 months, 36,000 miles. However, I have yet to deal with an extended warranty company that will cover a clutch. A dual mass flywheel is not cheap either and probably factored in the price.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I had to replace my clutch at around 52k miles. I have the Subaru Gold Extended Warranty from the dealership I bought my LGT from, and not even that warranty covered the clutch. But I paid around $1k to get the upgraded ACT clutch / flywheel combo installed, parts and labor.

A clutch is a wear item. Most manufacturers warranty that for 12 months, 12,000 miles. Subaru covers it for 36 months, 36,000 miles. However, I have yet to deal with an extended warranty company that will cover a clutch. A dual mass flywheel is not cheap either and probably factored in the price.

BMW's 6 year, 100000 mile maintenance plan covers the clutch, though I've never known an owner who had the plan and needed a clutch in that timeframe.

Definitely throw-out bearing. Mine makes a bit of noise sometimes. When I need a new clutch I'll be buying an OEM from Fred Beans and having the work done at a local shop (not stealership). Local shop quoted me $200 for install. That's $700 parts/labor (including new flywheel).

BMW's 6 year, 100000 mile maintenance plan covers the clutch, though I've never known an owner who had the plan and needed a clutch in that timeframe.

:lol: That is why I said most. Many of your high end manufacturers tend to have better warranties/services/parts. Apples to oranges.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

5 hours labor at 125.00 shop rates = 625.00 before taxes and any extra parts they use and charge you for.

I paid about a Grand Canadian for the ACT clutch and WRX flywheel shipped up here from Fred Beans in NY.

So, all told, my job just recently was $1700.00. But we pay more for the same stuff up here in Canada... our dealerships' shop labor rate is probably much higher too.

It is very expensive to replace the clutch in these cars, if you pay someone to do it. I hope my ACT clutch lasts the rest of my time with the car, or at least another 5 years at stage 2 levels.

Back in my Honda days, if a clutch went, we just found a whole low mileage transmission with clutch at the wrecker for about 600 bucks, and pay a tuner shop to throw it in for about 300 bucks. No need to replace a single part when you can just grab a whole system for less!:lol:

Tell them you don't want a new clutch... DEMAND that you want the throw out bearing replaced. The clutch might be getting worn out but it's not causing your current problem. Get a new TOB installed and then drive that DMFW into the ground, then replace everything on your dime later on. Subaru is trying to screw you into paying for something you don't need in order to fix something that is a common early failure component on these cars. I love 99.99% of my Subaru but I hate the POS TOB.

Aloha

Tell them you don't want a new clutch... DEMAND that you want the throw out bearing replaced. The clutch might be getting worn out but it's not causing your current problem. Get a new TOB installed and then drive that DMFW into the ground, then replace everything on your dime later on. Subaru is trying to screw you into paying for something you don't need in order to fix something that is a common early failure component on these cars. I love 99.99% of my Subaru but I hate the POS TOB.

Aloha

This could be true but then they could be trying to save him a little scrilla... Since they already are going in there to fix the TOB they might as well fix the clutch if its really bad and needs to be done soon. My dealership didn't even charge me extra on labor since they said they were already in there to fix the TOB. If you wait to do the clutch later, you'll be forking out the money for them to climb back up in a place they just were at a few months earlier. The one thing i truly hate about my Subaru is the TOB... i plan on upgrading to a TranQuil TSK3 next clutch replacement.

I agree, if the dealership will allow the labor that's already required to replace the TOB under warranty to be put toward the replacement of the flywheel/clutch/plate it's a no brainer - DO IT. The catch is the dealerships often try to con customers by saying the problem is with the clutch when it's not, the problem is a POS TOB. The dealership proceeds to charge major bucks for the labor and makes money off the customer. This is total BS and a well informed customer shouldn't let it happen unless Subaru can specifically show in their fine print that the TOB is not covered.

My thinking is if Subaru wants to be jerks about the TOB that's fine, let them fix the TOB, pay the dealership all those hours of labor, and lose their ass on it. I'd rather do that and wait another xx,xxx miles and then replace the clutch on my own dime. Like I said, I love my Subaru but the TOB failures are a joke.

Aloha

Any Subaru owners in PA, NJ, DE. My buddy at ****** Subaru does cheap quality job right at work. I just paid $300 for clutch replacement. Just got same price for my friend at work on his 06 WRX TR clutch job and he's quote him $50 to replace brake lines to stainless.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a few hundred more miles of cold squealing and scrapingTOB noise, I invested in a harbor freight $120 floor tranmission jack. I did the slide the transmission back 8 inches and leave the axle shafts in procedure. What I found was a TOB with 73K miles on it that I could barely turn by hand after I removed it. The split line in the snout is pretty enhanced where teh two halves come together as well as three groove/score lines on the snout. Being I caught this in time and the snout isn't cracked should I install the TSk3 snout kit?

Here's what it looks like

"2005 LGT Snout picture by tluggiero - Photobucket"

• 2 weeks later...

94sportsedan, what was the resolution? Did you estimate clutch wear while you had it open?

Glad I found this thread as this is exactly the symptoms I have at only 50k miles, have Subaru Gold Plus but thought the dealer would make a case for clutch replacement which I don't think is necessary as it doesn't slip and no noticeable change in where it starts grabbing in terms of pedal position (although not sure if this would change on a worn clutch on our cars). Should I even bother going to the dealer? Chances are they will try to give me a hard time with this issue and there will be no way I can prove that clutch was ok.

upd: just read my extended warranty terms, and it looks like flywheel is not specifically excluded by the Gold Plus, only the clutch disc.

Just back from a dealer. They want me to authorize 5hrs@$105 for disassembly, then if they confirm it is TOB or another covered part Gold Plus will pick it up, if not I'll be stuck with the charges + whatever is necessary to fix and put it back. Sounds like a normal procedure, but can I trust them? Do they have any reason to be dishonest with me once they get to the bottom of the problem?

Just back from a dealer. They want me to authorize 5hrs@$105 for disassembly, then if they confirm it is TOB or another covered part Gold Plus will pick it up, if not I'll be stuck with the charges + whatever is necessary to fix and put it back. Sounds like a normal procedure, but can I trust them? Do they have any reason to be dishonest with me once they get to the bottom of the problem?

Yes and no. They need to r/i the transmission to find the cause and failure. Sure, they can make less by warrantying it, so who is to say they won't just simply say it isn't covered.

To me, warranty work is work, so It doesn't matter to me. There are dealers out there that have the same philosophy as i do. However, some do not.

My throw out bearing was pretty shot and if I really knew how bad it was when the noise started I probably would have stopped driving it. I pulled the clutch while I had slid teh transmission back and thought it was pretty shot at 73k miles since the rivet heads seemed pretty close to the surface. To my dissappointment the replacement act clutch seemed to not have much meat on it either as the rivets are real close to the surface brand new.In reality I thought the clutch probably had 5k miles left on it when in reality it probably had 10-15k more but I wasn't about to pull the tranmission again anytime soon. I got the 07 LGT flywheel and act stage 1 for $785 shipped. I also did one step furthur and did the TOB sleeve kit for $168 shipped. I'm hoping to get more than 73K out of the new TOB!

On the note of the extended warranty I paid which covers defective parts not worn parts(from what I was told). Seems to me any part that breaks now could be considered a wear part and not defective!!!

Archived