LegacyGT.com

2008 Porsche Panamera

I wouldn't trust those pictures as far as I could throw that car.

Brenda Priddy and co did a mock up of the NC miata about 8 months ago, and it was a cut up mazda 6. Could not have been further from the truth, and they tried to pass it off as true.

This is a bad photo chop of a 996, a Carrera GT, and maybe bits of a Grand Prix or Mercedes CLS.

Porsche stylists are too talented for this to be even their bad work. There was a concept in the mid 90's about the time that they were finishing up the design work on the upcoming watercooled 996, that they showed an aqua green 4 door model. That was graceful and gorgeous. The car pictured above is not even close.

I don't like the Cayenne, and I attribute it's awkward looks to the fact that it is an SUV, and there really isn't much to be done with them to make them look graceful and organic, like a porsche. I know they could do better with a 4 door car. I wish they had done a 4 door car to top the E39 M5, rather than an SUV.

And "Panamera"? Carrera is spanish for "Race" or "Racing", I think. I would think if they were going to name a car after a mexican race, they would have called it a "Panamericana" or even "Panamerica" since it would be fitting for a car that would take over the 928's role as a car build for highway super-cruise.

I always thought the Legacy in STi trim, with a twin turbo flat 6, 6MT, and AWD, would be the four door alternative to a Porsche with 2 doors and similar specs.

Four door ferrari? Four door Lambo? You got models names?

I am unaware of any production ferrari with 4 doors. Maybe for the Sultan of Brunei, but he gets one-off ferraris as a matter of course. Four seats is not as uncommon.

There may be an old obscure Lambo with 4 doors, that would not surprise me, but still we are talking less than appreciable number of units.

Now, Maserati Quattroporte, and maybe an Alfa. Lotus Cortina or later Carlton, and Jaguar Mark IIs, and S-types, and then the epitome BMW M5 round out the most popular super sedans that weigh less than a blown Bentley Arnage.

Personally I would love to see Porsche make all of those into *real* antiques. but the car pictured is not that car. Porsche designers do better than that at the end of the day on friday.

-EDIT - I thought that Carrera had some sort of motorsport connotation, around the time when they first named the 904 Carrera GTS. The first 911s were not called Carrera, until sometime in the 70's, I thought. I thought it was for some race, like the "Carrera Panamericana" or something. I think it is spanish, but I could be wrong. My Porsche motorsport history is a little fuzzy.

There may be an old obscure Lambo with 4 doors, that would not surprise me, but still we are talking less than appreciable number of units.

Not a Ferrari, but Lamborghini did make an SUV called the LM. And it was a production model, not a one off.

Oh, and I thought we were talking about sedans. The Lambo LM was a freak. Even for Lamborghini, and even for an SUV.

Yeah, that thing was a beast. I think the closest comparable vehicle is the old Defender 90 or the old Gelaendenwagen. We were talking about sedans, but I figured the LM was freakish enough to deserve a mention. :D

I remember seeing a limited production Ferrari Limo in the 80s with 4 doors (based on a BB512, IIRC). Don't think they made a lot of them, though. I do believe it was the fastest limo available at the time. :)

BTW, as someone mentioned, the 'Carerra' name is indeed from a race, 'La Carrera Panamericana' in Mexico which is still run today. The first Porsche to have the Carrera name was the 356 and this name has continued on since the fifties to today's latest 997 911 Carerra and Carerra S.

tom

tom :)

Hey Porsche also mad the Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B, that was no sports car and it did seat five. Porsche can build anything, they have very tallented engineers. What is the big deal about an SUV or a sedan?

Carrera does mean road, from the Carrera Panamericana, a race in the fifties to celebrate Mexico's 'interstate'. Spanish and Mexican words don't always coincide. Ferdinand Porsche designed almost every type of vehicle, including 4wd electrics at the turn of the century. I'd rather see Porsche do something beyond sports cars than become a more sophisticated Morgan with its evergreen 911. It's a nice car, but Ferdinand and Ferry Porsche were never ones to sit still.

Steve

Oh, and I thought we were talking about sedans. The Lambo LM was a freak. Even for Lamborghini, and even for an SUV.

The LM actually had a faucet and sink in the backseat... no kidding. That definitely qualifies as freakish

Those are not real. They are good photoshops but are not authentic. The photo of the rear is all 928 and the front is directly off of the new Carrera GT. Yes it has been confirmed that Porsche is building this M5 killer but that is not it. The engines will be the Cayenne V8 and the Carrera GT V10.

Also the Cayene is getting a face lift and new engine tuing. It looks like it will be joining the 500 club soon enough.

As much of a mistake that I thought the Cayenne was it now accounts for 50% of Porsche's sales. Numbers like that mean that Porsche is much smarter than any of us nay sayers. Also it insures that Porsche will remain the most profitable and frankly the only really independent car maker on the planet.

And by the way Carrera is the Spanish word for Race.

I have owned Porsche's since the age of 19. I am full of this stuff.

The Cayenne may be a sales success, and although I am not completely sure why, I won't deny it.

If I were looking for a vehicle that expensive, and thought I needed an SUV, which neither are likely to happen any day soon, it wouldn't be a Cayenne. Can you say supercharged Range Rover Sport? Range Rover does SUV. That is all they do, and they do it very very well.

Porsche may do SUVs well, but they are a sports car company first and foremost. I wouldn't buy a Rover-badged sports car. (I would buy an MG sports car, but not the SV. and now I am splitting hairs...)

A true sport sedan is close enough to a sports car (it is a performance car, and it is still a car, not a "truck") that I would consider a Porsche sport sedan. MB doesn't offer a stick, and I don't like the new M5, other than the motor, the angel eye headlights, and the aero side mirrors.

A Porsche sport sedan with the Cayenne Turbo's V8, or the monster V10 in the Carrera GT, and a manual trans, or an optional manu-matic DSG setup would be HAWT. (as long as it doesn't look like a Grand Prix.) Plus if they offer it with a hybrid AWD system mixed from their Carrera 4 and Cayenne, it would get all that power down to the pavement in a real big hurry.

Think Legacy STi - Squared. Granted at least 2-3 times the price.

Taking for granted that I would be in the market, If it were styled well (which is all but gauranteed from Porsche) I would buy one over a Jag S-type R, Super V8 XJ, M5, or Maserati Quattroporte which is likely to be the closest thing to a Ferrari sport sedan evAR, you'd certainly never see a prancing horse on a 4 door. the BB512 limo was likely an expensive aftermarket coachbuilder special. I doubt Enzo would ever have Ok'd that. Maybe I'm wrong...

I'd certainly choose the Porsche certainly over an E or S class AMG Mercedes or Audi S8.

I would have to find reasons to drive to the coasts, just to spend time in that sort of a Porsche. That car would kick but at the "One Lap of America." Are there any states left that have no posted daytime speed limits?

The Cayenne may be a sales success, and although I am not completely sure why, I won't deny it.

If I were looking for a vehicle that expensive, and thought I needed an SUV, which neither are likely to happen any day soon, it wouldn't be a Cayenne. Can you say supercharged Range Rover Sport? Range Rover does SUV. That is all they do, and they do it very very well.

Porsche may do SUVs well, but they are a sports car company first and foremost. I wouldn't buy a Rover-badged sports car. (I would buy an MG sports car, but not the SV. and now I am splitting hairs...)

Thus the Cayenne Turbo... Define SUV, SPORT Utility Vehicle... Now I am not one to know everything about everything but wouldn't you say that some people are interested in the sport aspect with a little utility on the side... EG the Forester 2.5XT the wildly popular X5, ML, even the Escalade V8 with 345 horses... People want a grocery getter that goes fast, you wan't to be able to transport your kids in luxury drop your mother off at her bingo game and on the way you want to blow the doors off a pimply faced teenager thinking he is hot shit in his V6 Camaro with dual borla Boomers... Nothing wrong with that... I used to doubt the Cayenne but after driving it I see the philosophy behind it. It is a lovely vehicle and with the optional twin turbo V8 it is more than adequite as a daily driver with limited offroading capabilities and seating for five as well as the ability to transport a grandfather clock if you want. Compromise is good sometimes :) As to the sedan, the pshop reminds me way too much of a CLS... waaay waaay to much of it

"limited offroading capabilities"

It has more ground clearance when in the off-road setting with the air suspension than the H2, fully locking front and rear difs, and a crazy smart computer that controls all of it real time. I did the Cayenne Driving Experience with my dad before we got his cayenne and they had an off road track and an auto-x style one set up that you could go out on. I have a 79 International Scout with an axle over lift, reverse shackle set up, and 36in swampers, and the Cayenne could go over and through things that would stop my truck.

Everyone go watch the Top Gear review of the Cayenne Turbo and then comment on the Cayenne.

The only thing the guy did not thing was awesome was the styling.

ok fin rant.

That car is extraordinary. My dosh, were I to spend that kind of money on a car would still go to the Mercedes CLS, but man, that Porsche is nice.

Unfortunately, Porsche can't afford to be as pure as they once were. The Cayenne has all but saved the company, as people weren't buying Boxsters and Carreras.

Kevin

"limited offroading capabilities"

It has more ground clearance when in the off-road setting with the air suspension than the H2, fully locking front and rear difs, and a crazy smart computer that controls all of it real time. I did the Cayenne Driving Experience with my dad before we got his cayenne and they had an off road track and an auto-x style one set up that you could go out on. I have a 79 International Scout with an axle over lift, reverse shackle set up, and 36in swampers, and the Cayenne could go over and through things that would stop my truck.

I find it hard to believe you can get any traction off road with the factory Pirelli PZero Rosso Assimmetrico Y Rated tires... No doubt you can go crazy offroading with this machine, but you don't do it from the factory, nor will porsche fix your rock dings scratches and dents from the rocks and matter chunks for free. Bottom line, I was agreeing with you not shooting down the cayenne, and I did have the pleasure of driving the Cayenne Turbo myself.

edit: to stay on topic... Rumor has it the 928 will be born again...

Archived