LegacyGT.com

Will these JDM healights work

outbacksrt8

The headlights on the 97 legacy outback wagon plain old suck!! So I was browsin around ebay to see if there were any aftermarket lights and didnt find any "aftermarket" ones but a pair of JDM headlights. So will they fit? and will they directly hook up with original wiring or will it require some wiring? Heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-BG5-BD5-Projector-Headlights_W0QQitemZ140349011333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20ad73f585&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Otherwise anybody know of anything other headlights that work and have better lighting?

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! Those headlights will fit without any problem at all. However, the wiring will be different and you will need to re-wire the headlamps for the new connections. It sounds difficult but it is really quite simple. I have a '97 Leggy GT with JDM projectors so if you need pictures of the wiring setup I have, let me know and I'll gladly provide them. Also, you can find many wiring guides for these headlights on various Subaru forums.

P.S. I would 100% recommend these headlights. Man, what a difference! :)

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Hey thanks, where did you get yours? I'm looking at a diff pair on ebay that arnt yellowed and look in really good condition, there $120 plus like $99 for shipping to the US from Japan. Do you have any pics of them and how much better are they over the crappy halogens?

I got mine from JDMGarage.com. A pair that aren't "yellowed" would mean someone heated and opened them to remove the yellow/orange nipple that surrounds the blinker/corner lights. I've done this also. $210 isn't a bad deal for those JDM lights either. They're much better than the halogens as they project the light to were it helps you see most, the road! Plus, you can pick up HID kits for them for about $100 USD and make them exponetially better than halogens. :)

Here's a picture of my JDM projectors:

http://www.soapintheintercooler.com/images/exterior/body/body_01.jpg

Great thinking guys ! Congrats for becoming the jerks blinding everyone because your fancy JDM headlights are for RIGHT-hand drive cars ...while we all drive LEFT-hand drive cars. It never ceases to amaze me how people upgrade their cars without the slightest regard to others.

no I mean the plastic has gotten yellowed from the sun, the orange blinker surrounding is there still. Did you put HIDS in your projectors and if so what K rating? Have any nitetime shots?

Ah. Okay. I see what you mean. And yes, I have HIDs in my car and they are 5000K (clear-white.) I don't have any night shots at the moment. But, I can take some at some point. I got my HID kits from Crucial Racing (who is a vendor here on LGT.com) for $95. Check out the thread here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105799

Great thinking guys ! Congrats for becoming the jerks blinding everyone because your fancy JDM headlights are for RIGHT-hand drive cars ...while we all drive LEFT-hand drive cars. It never ceases to amaze me how people upgrade their cars without the slightest regard to others.

Before you go on name calling, you should take into consideration that one can (and I have) changed my cut-off plate from a LHD beam pattern to a RHD beam pattern and therefore it is perfectly acceptable on US roads. Also, you can aim the lights slightly lower without modifying the cut-off plate and not "blind" anyone. Especially without an HID kit.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people jump to conclusions with assumptions and make a dolt of themselves without ever giving any thought about someone doing a modification correctly. ;)

Well, I completely understand his point and there are a lot of dopes doing strange, not to mention illegal, things with HIDs these days that are making it more and more difficult for us modders to legally put JDM parts on our cars. I was simply recommending that he not jump to conclusions. :)

Do you have any night time shots?

The only night shots I have were when I had one bad HID bulb. It's kind of hard to tell what the projector looks like, but you can certainly see how much brighter it is...

IMG_0242.jpg.53ad3c0cf6aa66365fc092e320c9261b.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg.46c02a3f207d7449552af813b8ac7875.jpg

These pictures were before my LHD beam pattern adjustment. I'm not sure if you can buy them or not (I've never heard of anything like that) but you can do the adjustment yourself. I did mine based on an idea someone else on this thread gave me.

What I did was bake my lights, pull them apart, remove the projector housing and file down the cut-off lip. Then, I cut a new cut-off lip from sheet metal for the opposite side of where it was, JB Welded it into place and put the lights back together. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. I have another set of JDM headlights I need to do this to soon so if you'd like, I can create a how-to with pictures and such and post it here on LGT.com.

There are ways to completely swap out the projector housing with USDM housing and pattern plates but it takes a considerably larger amount of time, money and work. I'm not sure if anyone is selling the JDM projector housings converted to LHD light pattern separate from the lights themselves, although, it would be a good idea if someone had access to lots of broken, scratched, or otherwise "un-fixable" JDM projector headlights.

The lights I have are not for sale. However, if you feel that you are going to be completely insecure with doing this yourself, I could always do it for you providing you pay the shipping to and from me and for the materials.

Oic, well ill hit up when and if I get them and then decside if im competley insecure about it lol. But im sure I can handle it.

I have faith! ;) And, like I said, I'll be doing the conversion soon (maybe this weekend if I get time) so I'll post a little how-to to help you along.

lol, i'll be lookin forward to that how-to. So I noticed you have turbo written after your car, whats that all about;):D

I installed the AVO turbo kit on my EJ25. Worked like a charm until I blew my motor. ;) Now the kit is going on my '97 BG EJ25 (Hopefully in the next few weeks.)

What kit was that? So that will work on my 97 then also? How long till you blew your motor and what was the cause? Would you reccomend it?

I've been wanting to ever since I got my wagon(6months ago) to do a full WRX/STI engine/drivetrain swap:D I want 400awhp on 91 oct gas then on race gas I want to be able to be pushing 450+awhp. Do you know alot about these swaps?

The AVO turbo kit I installed is this one: http://www.rallitek.com/avo25tukitwi.html and it will most certainly fit your '97 EJ25 (Same engine/chassis that I am installing on.) I blew my motor about 8 months after I put it on but it wasn't due to the boost. It was oil starvation. Just make sure you keep an eye on that oil level! ;) And yes! I would highly recommend this turbo kit. It is extremely sufficient and gives that extra bit of power that seems to be lacking in the EJ25.

A swap is always a better way to go as the options are way less limited than putting a turbo kit on a N/A engine. However, it is significantly more expensive than the turbo kit as well. If you're looking for 400+ whp on 91O, you're going to spend somewhere around $8000 USD. You can also go with an E85 setup and gain quite a bit more HP. As far as race gas goes and the setup involved in that, along with 450+ whp, you're looking to spend somewhere along the lines of $12000-$15000 on the swap and setup. If you're willing to part with that much cash, you'll certainly have a head-turning Scoober... I don't know a whole hell of a lot about the swaps, but I am planning on swapping my blown motor with an EJ257/6MT setup some time this winter so I plan on learning quite a bit.

Just looked at that kit. It looks very nice but if it was more like 2grand id jump on it but 3650, i'll just wait and put that towards my swap.

Wow 8000 thats alot cheaper than I thought to get 400awhp. What all will that get me as engine/drivetrain etc? I was planning on 15K and have 5K extra just incase to be on the safe side. Plus I want all top notch everthing, I want this thing to be exceptionaly reliable!!

Noooo I want it to be a sleeper lol, untill I punch it then it will be a major head-turning Scoober lol

Yea I dont know alot either, just bean a subaru owner for less than 4months and havnt really reasearched it. Dont you mean EJ25/6MT?

I know I want a 6speed but dont know what engine to go with 2.0, 2.2, or 2.5. I think the 2.5 will suit me better since im going for such a high hp#, the extra cubes will help reach that easier, since I wont have to throw so much boost as in a 2.0. Thats the way I understand it atleast. Yea learn alot and pass it on to me lol, now make sure you do a detailed how-to lol jkjk

Yup. Most people generally go with the swap as it makes more sense considering it's so expensive. I just happened to love the EJ25 so I wanted to keep it. Plus, it's rare to have a boosted EJ25 so it makes it somewhat fun. :)

The $8000 will get you a pretty nice setup. You won't be keeping your EJ25 as it has an open deck and therefore won't house the boost you're looking for. I would go with the EJ257/6MT setup like I'm planning on (STi 2.5L F/I engine with 6-speed tranny.) It won't have a majority of the modified components that would make it top-notch on an a stock swap for $8000 though. If you're going to do the swap AND modify the setup, you are certainly looking at more money. Like I mentioned before, probably somewhere along the lines of $12,000-$15,000 depending on preferences. So, you're on the right track!

Archived