LegacyGT.com

Will these JDM healights work

outbacksrt8

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EJ257 is the engine model for the US WRX STi. It's just a numbering up scheme. IE: EJ25 = US 2.5L, EJ255 = US Outback/Forester 2.5L... A stock EJ257 will not have 400 whp so you will need to do some modifications to get it that high. However, the modifications aren't that heavy as the HP raises quite a bit with slight mods due to it already producing quite a bit of HP.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Oic i get that now. Oh yea yea I know a stock EJ257 doesn't produce that much stock hp but my question was can the internals be able to hold 400awhp w/ a bigger turbocharger=more boost?

What are you doing as far as other drivetrain parts ie center diff, rearend, front etc? Are you just swapping all the STI parts in it?

The EJ257 internals are most definitely capable of handling 400 whp. There may be a few slight modifications though.

And yes, I'll most likely do a drivetrain replacement with the STi parts. However, there won't be a lot of parts I'll need to replace as a majority of them are still the same. Just depends on how much HP I plan on pushing I guess.

Really thats impressive, even w/out upgrading rods,pistons,heads, etc? The slight mods would be like obviously bigger turbo, intake manifold, diff valve springs, like that stuff?

Ic, so what parts are the same and wont need upgrading, id thought that I would have to replace every drivetrain part with STI spec stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey havnt heard from you in awhile, wats goin on? A couple days ago I ordered the JDM projector lights and am plannning on getting HIDs for lows and bulbs for highs but cant find what bulbs numbers they are, iv googled searched and cant find $hit, so what are they so I can get the hids on there way so when I get the headlights I can get them installed ASAP?

Also are you running a diff suspension than stock? Otherwise if you arnt whats a good one that will firm up the ride and help with handling alot? Will any suspension kits that work for the legacy work on the outback since I think there the same suspension? Thanks

Hey havnt heard from you in awhile, wats goin on? A couple days ago I ordered the JDM projector lights and am plannning on getting HIDs for lows and bulbs for highs but cant find what bulbs numbers they are, iv googled searched and cant find , so what are they so I can get the hids on there way so when I get the headlights I can get them installed ASAP?

For the JDM headlights, the projector bulb is an H1, the hight beams are H3's, the city light bulbs are T10's and the blinker bulbs are 1156's (you can also use your stock USDM bulbs with minor modification as well (1157's).) I would recommend converting the headlights to the USDM light pattern before putting the HIDs though. Otherwise, the LH headlight will be extremely bright to other drivers on the road.

Also are you running a diff suspension than stock? Otherwise if you arnt whats a good one that will firm up the ride and help with handling alot? Will any suspension kits that work for the legacy work on the outback since I think there the same suspension? Thanks

I am running different suspension. I have a coil-over suspension right now which I'm (so far) very happy with. They're D2's which are fairly on the cheap side. I've read good and bad things about them. We'll see how well mine hold up. Otherwise, I would recommend KYB GR2 or Bilstein struts and some H&R or Tien springs. These have always been great for me and a lot of other people. Mix and match however you'd like. :)

For the JDM headlights, the projector bulb is an H1, the hight beams are H3's, the city light bulbs are T10's and the blinker bulbs are 1156's (you can also use your stock USDM bulbs with minor modification as well (1157's).) I would recommend converting the headlights to the USDM light pattern before putting the HIDs though. Otherwise, the LH headlight will be extremely bright to other drivers on the road.

What are T10 bulbs? is there a another # for it. Is it just like a daytime running light or what do you mean by city lights

T10 bulbs are also known as 194's. You can find them just about anywhere that sells auto bulbs. The "city lights" aren't DRL's at all so don't worry about that. :) They're just the simple little lights that light up beside the projector. Some people choose to disable these completely. The choice is totally up to you.

T10 bulbs are also known as 194's. You can find them just about anywhere that sells auto bulbs. The "city lights" aren't DRL's at all so don't worry about that. :) They're just the simple little lights that light up beside the projector. Some people choose to disable these completely. The choice is totally up to you.

Yea I thought that they were a 194 bulb. I think im goin to throw i little LED light in there. Do you have a pic of it close up so I can see what style 194 will fit.

I am running different suspension. I have a coil-over suspension right now which I'm (so far) very happy with. They're D2's which are fairly on the cheap side. I've read good and bad things about them. We'll see how well mine hold up. Otherwise, I would recommend KYB GR2 or Bilstein struts and some H&R or Tien springs. These have always been great for me and a lot of other people. Mix and match however you'd like. :)

How much did you pay and where did you get them?

I assume the KYB GR2's are coilovers also. Are struts the same as shocks? Then do I get the ones that are specific to the 97 outback or do I use like the WRX's or legacy's?

Do the H&R or Tien springs lower it at all, if so how much? Wheres a good place to get those?

Yea I thought that they were a 194 bulb. I think im goin to throw i little LED light in there. Do you have a pic of it close up so I can see what style 194 will fit.

I have LEDs in mine as well. I can take a picture of the LED bulbs that I have in mine some time tonight. So, I'll either upload tonight or tomorrow.

How much did you pay and where did you get them?

I assume the KYB GR2's are coilovers also. Are struts the same as shocks? Then do I get the ones that are specific to the 97 outback or do I use like the WRX's or legacy's?

Do the H&R or Tien springs lower it at all, if so how much? Wheres a good place to get those?

I paid about $900 for the D2 coil-overs through a company I found on eBay. I see them floating around all the time on the net. Just take a peek on Google and you're sure to find something.

The KYB GR2's are only struts and yes, struts are the same as shocks (basically.) So, you will still need springs if you only get the KYB's. There are some shocks that work find from newer STi's and WRX's but not the springs as far as I know. You'll still need to get the correct springs for your chassis. Someone earlier mentioned they had struts from an '03 WRX with some "saggy butt" spacers and they worked perfectly. They may have even used the WRX springs as well.

The H&R and Tien springs lower it, yes. The H&R's lower about 1.5 front and 1.8 rear. So, essentially, the fenders are sitting just about at the height of the tire. Any lower and you'll run into some trouble somewhere I'm sure. :) Not sure how much the Tien springs lower it as I haven't had any personally. I know they do have a few different types/models of Tiens though and I'm sure they differ. Check out the Tien website and see what you can find there.

I paid about $900 for the D2 coil-overs through a company I found on eBay. I see them floating around all the time on the net. Just take a peek on Google and you're sure to find something.

The KYB GR2's are only struts and yes, struts are the same as shocks (basically.) So, you will still need springs if you only get the KYB's. There are some shocks that work find from newer STi's and WRX's but not the springs as far as I know. You'll still need to get the correct springs for your chassis. Someone earlier mentioned they had struts from an '03 WRX with some "saggy butt" spacers and they worked perfectly. They may have even used the WRX springs as well.

The H&R and Tien springs lower it, yes. The H&R's lower about 1.5 front and 1.8 rear. So, essentially, the fenders are sitting just about at the height of the tire. Any lower and you'll run into some trouble somewhere I'm sure. :) Not sure how much the Tien springs lower it as I haven't had any personally. I know they do have a few different types/models of Tiens though and I'm sure they differ. Check out the Tien website and see what you can find there.

So whats the handling/ride like now? Do you have any side shots?

Oic ill wait and see what I need after I get my rims on the outback and go from there. Dammit theres alot of info you gotta know for these rigs on what works on this and that etc lol

Have you done anything about upgrading your brakes at all and if you were going to what would you go with?

I think for the front im goin with 05 STi brembo calipers and 04 rotors since the have the 5x100 bolt pattern and from what iv read the calipers bolt right up? But dont know what to do with the rear brakes yet:/

So whats the handling/ride like now? Do you have any side shots?

Oic ill wait and see what I need after I get my rims on the outback and go from there. Dammit theres alot of info you gotta know for these rigs on what works on this and that etc lol

Definitely a difference in handling. Much stiffer ride and much more responsive. I have some side shots of my '99 BD on http://www.soapintheintercooler.com in the "Exterior" section if you wanna check it out.

Yeah, I did but I don't have my camera with me. Sorry. I went with the 360 degree - 10 LED bulb 194's. They work extremely well and I would recommend using a 360 degree LED bulb (the amount of LED bulbs isn't really important. The more the brighter.)

The brakes I haven't touched on either vehicle yet but I'm planning on going with Brembos all the way around. Of course, the Brembos will only work inside a 17" or larger wheel so make sure you have enough room to accommodate the bigger calipers.

Yup. I plan on STi Brembo's all the way around. Not sure which year yet, but I really want to go with slotted rotors as opposed to (cross-)drilled rotors. I, and many others, have had bad experiences with heat and the "connect-the-dots" issues with drilled rotors. Of course, driving style and brake usage plays a large part in that, so deciding what to get for yourself based on driving habits would certainly be recommended.

Archived