LegacyGT.com

I need TINT REMOVAL in the DC/MD/VA area asap!

Town

So I moved this year and of course waited until the last minute to get my DL, registration and inspection completed. VA stickers expire this month and DC DMV won't pass me for inspection with tinted windows. :eek:

Should I attempt this myself? Or Pay someone? Any suggestions on how-to or where to go are much appreciated.

It's easy to do yourself. I did my front window tints in about 15 minutes. Peeled top layer of tint in 1 big piece. Removed remaining glue residue with some goo-gone and some straight razors. You'll need about 5 blades per window as they dull quickly.

I tried using a heat gun to remove the tint / glue in 1 piece but that didn't work. Just peel, spray, and scrape until it's all gone.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

windex and razor work fine. did mine in the lot at the Md. depart of motor vehicles
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

i suggest not doing the back windsheild your self,

1. its a pian in the ass

2. you dont wantt o damage the defroster elemets

and depending on how dark your tint is, you might not have to do them all.

here is the VA law for tinting, http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/VA/

Thanks, the rear is my only real concern as everything else should be fairly easy. I have 35% all around so it's still slightly illegal in VA, where I moved FROM, but I never got any chit from cops. DC, only a couple miles away and where I live now, doesn't allow any tint that isn't OEM, so I won't pass inspection for sure.

I'm looking at this page on the link you sent, http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_removal.html

They say to spray Ammonia!?! inside the car?? Won't that bleach anything it gets on? (I'll bet I'm not a pro ammonia sprayer)

Using the fabric steamer has got to be the easiest and safest way to remove tints. I did this on a car i had to sell a few months ago. Give yourself at least half a day to do it. Slow and steady is key. No need to use razor or any of that old fashioned BS methods. Just steam it up real good and start peeling...if it gets tough to peel, steam some more. VERY EASY. Just time consuming. The back window tint came off just fine without damage to the defroster lines. Funny that I bought the steamer for my mom last christmas but the only time we used it was for removing my tints. lol

Anyways here's the link I got the idea from

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-car-window-tint:-the-not-messy,-chea/

GL!

Using the fabric steamer has got to be the easiest and safest way to remove tints. I did this on a car i had to sell a few months ago. Give yourself at least half a day to do it. Slow and steady is key. No need to use razor or any of that old fashioned BS methods. Just steam it up real good and start peeling...if it gets tough to peel, steam some more. VERY EASY. Just time consuming. The back window tint came off just fine without damage to the defroster lines. Funny that I bought the steamer for my mom last christmas but the only time we used it was for removing my tints. lol

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-car-window-tint:-the-not-messy,-chea/

GL!

Dude, thank you. Seriously. I went and bought a cheap con-air steamer from Target and tried it this weekend. If you just go slow everything pulls right off, just like you said. I didn't even need to use the Goo Gone I picked up. It was so simple. Passed DC inspection today.

After trying this I say, NEVER pay a tint shop to remove your tint!

Dude, thank you. Seriously. I went and bought a cheap con-air steamer from Target and tried it this weekend. If you just go slow everything pulls right off, just like you said. I didn't even need to use the Goo Gone I picked up. It was so simple. Passed DC inspection today.

After trying this I say, NEVER pay a tint shop to remove your tint!

you're very welcome. glad it worked out for you!

And as an added perk, if you close the doors and let the car steam up for a few minutes, you can wipe everything down with an old tshirt and the interior is clean like new again :)

I enjoyed this way too much.

• 1 year later...

GL!

thanks for the tips guys, I got a ticket for my tint today.

Archived