LegacyGT.com

Supercharger?

while in theory you could have an electronic supercharger, it is not effecient nor economical.

first to create this monstrosity correctly you will need an electric motor that will have the power to turn a turbine through a set of gears to push enough air to make the "supercharger" worth while, not only that but you have to make sure that the motor can both speed up and slow down the turbine to match with the RPM's/fuel delivery, ie proper tuning that is no longer mechanically connected to the engine, this makes the response of the supercharger costly since it is now electronically controlled.

i don't think that this will ever be a good answer...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before you all bash something, you should read into it first.

The majority of electric superchargers are complete crap and are more a restriction than anything. This product seems to be a well built electric supercharger that could actually work.

Ebay electric superchargers draw around 15-30 amps. Far too little to move a significant amount of air. This device draws well over 200 amps. Enough to actually do something.

This device is meant to be used on a small engines to boost low rpm torque... similar to how a hybrid system works. It is not meant to be used for more than a few seconds at a time.

If the price is reasonable, I may get one and see if it can be used for pre-spooling a turbo hotside.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Might get a little funny at night when you have to floor it to get onto the highway. Headlights will get pretty dim for a few seconds. :spin:

Considering our stock vf40 turbo pushes 415 cfm, I would reason than a 1.2 liter motor only needs half as much airflow pushed by this supercharger. Not a very big compressor wheel. It may have less mass than the rotor of the electric motor. I don't know enough about what kind of electric motors are out there, but the one in question spins very fast, very quickly. Initially you need a spike of torque to overcome the inertia of the wheel and motor itself to get it spinning, after that you have a steady state overcoming friction and maintaining whatever airflow they are engineering for, 200 cfm or whatever it would be.

Anyway 200 amps at 12 volts is 2400 watts or about 3.2 hp. A lot stronger than a hairdryer. Should be able to push some air with that.

Before you all bash something, you should read into it first.

The majority of electric superchargers are complete crap and are more a restriction than anything. This product seems to be a well built electric supercharger that could actually work.

Ebay electric superchargers draw around 15-30 amps. Far too little to move a significant amount of air. This device draws well over 200 amps. Enough to actually do something.

This device is meant to be used on a small engines to boost low rpm torque... similar to how a hybrid system works. It is not meant to be used for more than a few seconds at a time.

If the price is reasonable, I may get one and see if it can be used for pre-spooling a turbo hotside.

Tell that to your turbo colleagues and see how much laughter you draw. And pre-spooling the hot side is a valid idea but typically this is done with a SC but you never know until something is tried

^^ Again.. what do you think your starter motor draws? A battery isn't rated at 550CCA because you only use 25... sometimes you NEED 550amps

Tell that to your turbo colleagues and see how much laughter you draw.

I have. There is alot of interest in this product.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I'vehad my motor cranking forover 30sec at a time. Followed by several more long cranking cycles.

Ever see someone kill their battery trying to start a car? That's several minuets of cranking. (or not very long if your battery sucks)

No different than a HVAC motor which might pull 30A on startup, then kick down to 10A. Locked rotor current is alot different than continous current.

That's 120v AC. Very different kind of motor. What's your point anyways?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Point is that if the motor draws 200A, at given times, It could be drawing 100's %'s higher. I think 200A of continous load would kill your battery. Unless you found an alternator to support 200A plus the load of the cars electrical system. And even if you found one to support it, you would probably need a couple batteries and caps to take the draw off your car when the motor kicked on. Basic AC theory is the same as DC. Different kind of motor, but same laws apply

Electric Supercharger

Variable Torque Enhancement System

Startup 350a

Running 220a

Full speed 70,000rpm

time to full speed <350ms

Pressure ratio 1.45

I can't find the specs on our starter motor, but I bet the starter draws more than 200 while it's cranking... probably more than 300 with a cold engine.

It's not meant to be used constantly which means there should be plenty of time between uses for the alternator to charge the battery. And so what if you need to put a honker alternator in. You're custom fabing an electric supercharger onto the car. A new alternator is part of the game.

Aside from the fact that this thing will max out around 5-7 psi... which is pretty good considering it will do that at idle... actually, that's really good. This thing just might work after all.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived