LegacyGT.com

Are Tein H.techs really a good substitute for Eibachs?

Hanslo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holy cow, thats nothing.... well i heard back from the body shop and heres the word.

1) The alignment is perfect now....the problem must have been that the old struts were in fact bent, thus the reason they couldnt have dialed the camber in perfefctly.

2) On my front driver side, Ive snapped an endlink (yes, already). Looks like ill be buying some Kartboys or Ralliteks (currently taking donations lol). My advice to anyone upgrading bars.... might as well beef up your endlinks too. Have anymore free weekends chris? lol

^ Hanslo, to get back to you on your pm, it looks like i will be parting out my old struts, rather than sell them as is, considering the deformation of the housing. So once i can get my hands on a spring compressor, ill get you what you were asking for if still interested.

^ Hanslo, to get back to you on your pm, it looks like i will be parting out my old struts, rather than sell them as is, considering the deformation of the housing. So once i can get my hands on a spring compressor, ill get you what you were asking for if still interested.

Thanks. Shoot me a PM when you're ready.

Hanslo

Just wondering if you measured how much it lowered your car. Fred Beans says 0.9" for those springs.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-3747/Tein-H-dsh-Tech-Subaru-Legacy/Detail

I can't afford coilovers, and don't track my car. So I'm also looking at KYB GR-2 struts and either stock springs or H.techs.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

^^ spend the extra and get bilsteins, 10 times better than KYB and they have a lifetime warranty

From what I've read, you shouldn't use the stock springs with them. I don't know of any springs (other than stock) that will work with Bilsteins and won't lower your car.

Also the kit is $835, Tein H techs are another $210.

Tein basic coilovers are $985.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Post Thanksgiving update - Good news and bad news:

Good news - I'm now running Cobb AP Stage2 tune. Yay. It's noticable but i'm not blown away. I can't say the car feels more powerful per se, but it does feel more responsive, as in, it is more ready to give me its existing power. I guess that is the torque. My brother who drives a 2002 WRX and a 2003 Jaguar S-typeR was impressed. I think it's worth the $600 it took me to get there.

Bad news - We could NOT get the bolts off of my suspension. Both in the rear and the lower bolt on both fronts. We tried PB blaster, heat, wacking, 425 ft/lb air impact wrench and 3' breaker bar. With the breaker bar we started to round the bolts. We finally quit when Dad's 19mm impact socket split. I'm going to have to take it to a shop for my suspension swap. Both my brother and my Dad restore cars as a hobby so they both knew what they were doing and they gave up. I have the "new" suspension completely assembled and ready to go on. If we could have gotten those bolts off it would have been a one hour job at most for the swap.

Looks like i'm going to have to wait a little bit longer to get my Eibachs on. Shiiioot.

Hanslo

sounds like hanslo will have to do the ole saw the bolts in half and get ones, or just replace the control arms. been in that situation before, it sucks. the bolts themselves rusted/welded together with the collars on the suspension. there isn't any way to undo that, that i haev found. just saw the bolt in half and throw away the piece the bolt is now apart of. it sucks, but it does happen.

Post Thanksgiving update - Good news and bad news:

Good news - I'm now running Cobb AP Stage2 tune. Yay. It's noticable but i'm not blown away. I can't say the car feels more powerful per se, but it does feel more responsive, as in, it is more ready to give me its existing power. I guess that is the torque. My brother who drives a 2002 WRX and a 2003 Jaguar S-typeR was impressed. I think it's worth the $600 it took me to get there.

Bad news - We could NOT get the bolts off of my suspension. Both in the rear and the lower bolt on both fronts. We tried PB blaster, heat, wacking, 425 ft/lb air impact wrench and 3' breaker bar. With the breaker bar we started to round the bolts. We finally quit when Dad's 19mm impact socket split. I'm going to have to take it to a shop for my suspension swap. Both my brother and my Dad restore cars as a hobby so they both knew what they were doing and they gave up. I have the "new" suspension completely assembled and ready to go on. If we could have gotten those bolts off it would have been a one hour job at most for the swap.

Looks like i'm going to have to wait a little bit longer to get my Eibachs on. Shiiioot.

Hanslo

Invest in a set of twist sockets. They are pretty cheap if you get them from sears, hammer on the apporpiate twist socket than use your impact on it, your probably going to destroy the heads of the bolt so you should probably just buy new ones to be safe. the twist sockets along with alil heat from a hand torch should help your cause, than to prevent this mishap from happening again, put alil anitseize when you re assmeble

Thanks for the feedback guys. At this point i'm most likely going to have my local shop do it for me. I got the downpipe swapped which needed to be done as a DIY project more than the suspension swap does. I'll post an update when I finally get the Eibachs on.

Hanslo

wait wait before you spend 100$ per corner plus time to swap the springs.

There are 2 things you can do.

1: take it to a shop and have them put it on the rack and crack them loose, then retighten them. Should cost you about 18.00.

2: put your car up with one jack, then put a long wrench or 6 point socket on the big bolt, then set it just under parallel to the ground - place a second jack under the end of the wrench and slowly jack it up until *POP* it comes loose. Nothing can match a 1000lb jack under a 2500 lb car!

Archived