LegacyGT.com

Are Tein H.techs really a good substitute for Eibachs?

Hanslo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by zenfamily:

after visiting the Rallitek website, the advertised drop is 1.1in (fr) 0.9in(rr). I'm getting a verification from a guy that owns a set.

Cool. Let me know what he says. The quote below was posted by Sean at Rallitek in the thread you linked:

...Ride height is fixed. Since the drop on Spec B is the same front / rear the rake is the same as stock....

Sean S.

I had read that thread before. Its probably the best review I read for the ralliteks and it makes them seem pretty good too. Sean repeated the assertion that the ralliteks have a .9 inch drop all around. I thnk i'm beginning to form a list of candidates in the following order:

1. Eibach pro-kit

2. Tein H-techs

3. Rallitek

4. Stay stock

Hanslo

I have had the H techs for about 4 years now and they are the springs the car should have had on it from the factory. I didnt realize how much the stock springs sucked until I put the H techs on. Ride is just as good as stock and the car doesnt roll nearly as much, it still squats though but I also have more power than stock.

I wonder why Eibach would discontinue these.. Especially as crappy as the legacy suspension is.

Originally posted by what?:

I have had the H techs for about 4 years now and they are the springs the car should have had on it from the factory. I didnt realize how much the stock springs sucked until I put the H techs on. Ride is just as good as stock and the car doesnt roll nearly as much, it still squats though but I also have more power than stock.

Four years and still satisfied? That speaks well for the H-techs.

Hanslo

Dudes, Im in the same boat as you. From what I have read it looks like the eibachs would have suited my needs.

The H-TECH Tiens are looking like an option.... I originally wanted to get swifts but they may be too low....

I just want to get rid of the reverse rake on the spec b.... it looks redonc

I just realized something when I changed the oil in my car today. With my Rhino Ramps, I have less an 1" of clearance before the bottom of the front spoiler hits the ramps. My car has stock suspension.

Based on Madcatz's table, the H-tech's or the Pink's are my only choices if I still want to use the ramps.

Four years and still satisfied? That speaks well for the H-techs.

Hanslo

Considering that the pinks and Htechs (and eibachs) are so similar (but the htechs are cheaper) I'd say that's the way to go. I still love my pinks after 3 years of driving on them.

Be sure to get some good struts with them! Don't use stockers or GR2s! :)

I just realized something when I changed the oil in my car today. With my Rhino Ramps, I have less an 1" of clearance before the bottom of the front spoiler hits the ramps. My car has stock suspension.

Based on Madcatz's table, the H-tech's or the Pink's are my only choices if I still want to use the ramps.

you can still use ramps, you may just need to put some wood (2x4 or something) down before the ramp so you tire can roll onto that first and can lift up the front of the car a bit before the front bumper scrapes on the ramps.

thats how i use my ramps for this car and my previous cars that were lowered. my ramps are old school big metal f'ers and even at stock height my front bumper will scrape w/out wood.

Originally posted by schwinn:

Considering that the pinks and Htechs (and eibachs) are so similar (but the htechs are cheaper) I'd say that's the way to go. I still love my pinks after 3 years of driving on them.

Be sure to get some good struts with them! Don't use stockers or GR2s! :)

Hmmm, definitely with pinks but my intention is, with the eibachs (hopefully) or the H-techs, to use stock struts. And then if/when my stockers eventually crap out to replace them. Actually, if the stockers feel right and last a halfway's decent number of miles I'm thinking I would just replace them with some more gently used stock struts again. If not, I'll see what is available at the time.

Thanks,

Hanslo

Also one thing to consider is I have had to have my car towed twice on a flatbed and it was really close to being difficult to get onto the flatbed even with just the slight drop. The same guy ended up towing my car both times, which was complete coincidence, but he had to use some like long 2x8's to decrease the angle to get my car onto the flatbed without rubbing or damaging the stock front bumper. Now I know why some cars sit up as high as they do. Its kinda sad, but I am sure they consider it when building the cars.

Oh wait, Ive actually had to get it towed three times..

Originally posted by what?:

Also one thing to consider is I have had to have my car towed twice on a flatbed and it was really close to being difficult to get onto the flatbed even with just the slight drop. The same guy ended up towing my car both times, which was complete coincidence, but he had to use some like long 2x8's to decrease the angle to get my car onto the flatbed without rubbing or damaging the stock front bumper. Now I know why some cars sit up as high as they do. Its kinda sad, but I am sure they consider it when building the cars.

Sh1t, I haven't been thinking about that. My driveway is steep. When we moved into this house the moving van couldn't get up the driveway due to the incline, his nose ground into the asphalt. Those poor guys had to lug everything we own all the way up a 100' long STEEP driveway. They did it without complaint so I tipped them well. Noone in a car has ever had trouble though. When I get home tonight I'm going to stop at the bottom and see what my clearance is.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hanslo

Update: Clearance is fine. I didn't measure anything but I can see that an inch isn't going to be a problem.

Hmmm, definitely with pinks but my intention is, with the eibachs (hopefully) or the H-techs, to use stock struts. And then if/when my stockers eventually crap out to replace them. Actually, if the stockers feel right and last a halfway's decent number of miles I'm thinking I would just replace them with some more gently used stock struts again. If not, I'll see what is available at the time.

Thanks,

Hanslo

I wouldn't recommend any stiffer springs with a stock strut - the spring will kill the strut very quickly, and the car will ride like crap. Simply put, the reason is that the stiffer spring will make the strut "work harder" to control the spring-rate. The stock strut can't handle this abuse and will simply fail more quickly.

Remember, the strut is designed to dampen the "bounciness" of the springs... this is why struts and springs need to be "matched" in performance/capability...

CAN you do just the springs... yes. Should you? No...

So If I were to run the h-tech on a spec b, I would have to get the saggy butt shims to correct the reverse rake?

How do you think the h-techs would ride on the spec b struts?:spin:

I have s tech springs on my stock struts for awhile until i sucked it up and bought the bilsteins with spec B top hats. i also purchased 3/8th saggy butt spacers It rides and handles great and the rake is just about perfect. not sure with h techs. but to answer your question about the ride, it should be just fine

I'm not sure if it was posted on this thread, but it has been posted elsewhere that the Ralliteks are made by Eibach for Rallitek. They have similar specs. I guess we should hope that Eibach doesn't stop production of the Ralliteks. The Ralliteks have been reported to be compatible with the stock dampers.

Looks like I will be getting some Eibachs soon. If all goes well another member is going to be swapping out his suspension on Friday and then shipping me his Eibachs next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping all goes well for him.

Hanslo

Originally posted by BigInALegacy:

Debating between H.Techs and Ralliteks myself... gotta decide this weekend. :-/

Originally posted by zenfamily:

I've read the same thing. Hopefully, I'll be getting my set of Ralliteks next week.

Hey guys. Either of you get new springs installed yet? If so, what did you get and what do you think?

Thanks,

Hanslo

Just warning you guys who are looking to purchase the H-techs.

I had them on stock shocks at about 25-30,000 miles and they were fine with the stock rear sway bar.

I got the Progress rear sway bar and it started hitting the rear lower control arm on larger bumps. I had to cut off a tiny piece of the sway bar to clear the lower control arm. If the H-techs were a little stiffer or Progress slightly changed the shape of their bar this would've been avoided.

Just letting you guys know.

(I'm on JDM Spec B Rev A Bilsteins and Swifts now)

Archived