LegacyGT.com

Are Tein H.techs really a good substitute for Eibachs?

Hanslo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just want to share some info between threads. There is some discussion about trimming stock bump stops over in the lowering spring recommendations/suggestions thread:

gk1 that was a great read. I read the whole damn thing and next i'm going to read the thread by 'stretch' linked in there.

I'm a little surprised there isn't more talk on this forum about trimming bump stops. Unless there is a good reason not too, I fully intend to trim the fronts when I do my install. I'll have to exam the rears some more since it appears that it may not be necessary to trim the rear bump stops.

For those who have already installed their suspensions, read the thread provided by gk1. It explains how to trim bump stops right on the car without having to disassemble anything. Since the discussion is about the Impreza RS I don't know how well everything applies but it might.

Thanks,

Hanslo

Link provided by gk1:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/t76419...surements.html

I wouldnt recommend it, people do it to bilsteins to soften them up. the stockers are pretty soft and can barely take a lowering spring as it is, if you trim the stock strut stop ur wheels will probably smack the inside tire well very easily, but that's just an educated guess

The link provided by gk1 mentioned above talks about this too. For the Impreza at least - it looks like the springs wouldn't allow this even without bump stops at all. I'm assuming it would be the same for us.

Hanslo

update on my situation..... got the car back in my driveway yesterday. am hoping to get the suspension swap done next weekend. will provide before/after pics. enjoy the weekend fellas

We can't trust the sword of a thousand truths to a n00b!!

General impressions on the Ralliteks with saggy butt shims (3/8in):

The car is definitely a little lower than stock (not noticeable unless it's next to another legacy). I couldn't get the jack from under the front wheels until I put some wood under the front tires. The stance is perfect for me. The front end is slightly lower than the rears.

The car doesn't sit when I accelerate, and there doesn't seem to be any nose dive. There is significantly less body roll. My son and wife said that the car was a lot smoother on the roads (including the interstate, bridges, rough surfaces). We took a 70 mi trip to richmond to go to a meet, and the car handled a lot more predictably.

I'll let you all know how much drop I got when I measure it.

General impressions on the Ralliteks with saggy butt shims (3/8in):

The car is definitely a little lower than stock (not noticeable unless it's next to another legacy). I couldn't get the jack from under the front wheels until I put some wood under the front tires. The stance is perfect for me. The front end is slightly lower than the rears.

The car doesn't sit when I accelerate, and there doesn't seem to be any nose dive. There is significantly less body roll. My son and wife said that the car was a lot smoother on the roads (including the interstate, bridges, rough surfaces). We took a 70 mi trip to richmond to go to a meet, and the car handled a lot more predictably.

I'll let you all know how much drop I got when I measure it.

Congrats. I'm hoping to get the same results you are experiencing with my setup.

Hanslo

Sounds like the Eibach's and Ralliteks are a very similar drop and ride. Wonder how much Rallitek really changed the Eibach spec...

Glad to hear you're liking them zenfamily! I really should try to interpret my fuzzy measurement pictures. :lol: :lol: ;)

Cheers!

I just went out and measured the wheel wells. I think I messed up the initial measurement. I'm at 25 3/4in front and back. If anyone could measure their stock wheel well height, that would be helpful.

I just measured mine. My driveway is not level so I didn't expect these measurements to be very helpful - I was expecting the left to be lower than the right but I got 25 7/8" on all except the right front which was 26 3/4". I'll measure them again when I get to work tomorrow morning since the parking lot is probably much more level.

Hanslo

Sorry for the delay. Just measured again at work. The rears were still 25 7/8". The left front was 26 1/4" and the right front was 26 3/8".

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress today. I was getting impatient so I went ahead and swapped the springs. I have a spare set of completely assembled stock suspension that I bought used. Unfortunately I only have the most basic tools and no garage. I worked on this in my basement by myself.

Fortunately I was able to get the top nuts off with a regular 17mm socket wrench. I had to wack the wrench handle sharply with a hammer to imitate the action of an impact wrench. Surprisingly it worked.

I'm not going to write a walkthrough since a couple good ones already exist. I did take a some side-by-side pics for comparison.

The rear Eibach springs were only about 1/4" shorter than the stock springs both before assembly (pic1) and after (pic2) - Eibachs on bottom. The front Eibach springs were about 1" shorter than the stock springs (pics 3,4) - Eibach on right. I forgot to take a side-by-side after assembly as I got distracted by a bump stop issue. (See next post).

I used spring compessors for both disassembly and reassembly. I think for safety's sake you should use them for disassembly - especially the fronts. I can't say for sure how hard they would pop off without them but I had to compress them a fair amount. For putting the Eibachs on you probably don't need them but I didn't have anyone to help me push down while I screwed the top nut back on.

I do have a couple of questions:

What does a blown shock look like? Mine had what looked like grease around the base of the shaft and on the lower perch. It was black and very gummy. It would not wipe off, you had to srape it off. One had a lot and the other three had some. I'm hoping this is just normal greasy run-off. They have about 19k miles on them.

Secondly. How far down do you screw the top nut on? I was able to screw it down to about 1/4" of threads showing without any problem. After that the shaft started to turn but I'm sure it would screw down more.

Thanks,

Hanslo

1992176850_rearsprings.thumb.jpg.1791bae1a42306a7e0a71b9b8702dc78.jpg

1262661596_rearshocks.thumb.jpg.b3cec089e0a0adab4cca6e1940742bb7.jpg

253214811_frontsprings.thumb.jpg.cedb06f469c836bb513d6942733dfc1f.jpg

1857940355_frontsprings2.thumb.jpg.abd7e3a4e0cb9b023d57108bcbef38ca.jpg

Trimmed the bump stops on the front struts.

Pic1 shows the stock bump stop. Pic2 shows what it looks like after I cut it. I had a hard time deciding which half to use. Pics 3,4 show how I cut it roughly in half. The half on the left is about 1/8" shorter but much more firm. Pics 5,6 show how much I could compress them with my thumb - I could hardly compress the shorter, firmer half at all.

I decided to use the softer half since, if I do hit the stops going over a bump, I don't want it to be too abrupt and harsh. Unfortunately, the internal diameter of the stop isn't uniform. I didn't realize this until I had already cut the first one in half. The softer part has a wider internal diameter - about 9/8" compared to about 7/8" for the firm half (see pics 7,8) which allows it to slide and spin freely as compared to the other half which fits on the shaft snuggly. More unfortunately, the bump stop is what holds the dust cover up. Since the softer half of the bumpstop is free to fall to the bottom of the shaft, the dust cover does too. I ended up using a foam gasket/o'ring from a CD spindle case as a washer to hold the dust cover up - terribly ghetto but effective. I don't know how long it will hold up or if it even matters. I also hope that the bumpstop doesn't get completely chewed up due to it being loose.

I'll keep an eye on them (if that's possible) and if they look like they are getting damaged i'll probably have to swap out the other firmer halves.

Hanslo

1102091148.thumb.jpg.2215ffdbeb282dda643ff45223d0e861.jpg

1102091210.thumb.jpg.1b53b879910cfea8805c4c87ee19ba2a.jpg

BumpStop_profile.thumb.jpg.ced5c528d209dd92db3da98cf724780b.jpg

1102091157.thumb.jpg.c8d763f01ca7f5056d0014128d721b1e.jpg

BumpStop_comp1.thumb.jpg.24b3a6db72f3a8648933a4b2323e95af.jpg

BumpStop_comp2.thumb.jpg.1a6560fa10a1ce37804faac1f975c025.jpg

1102091203a.thumb.jpg.ea3c35e6997e6b7ebda772761ce17eff.jpg

1102091204.thumb.jpg.ad26e69be42ba4b5c376bba1a84641bc.jpg

Spring Walkthru

Try this thread. It has some great pictures and includes some torque specs. We have gas shocks, so I imagine that that would be grease from another source. I didn't cut the bump stops since our springs don't give a huge drop.

Look at the orientation (there's a picture in the thread) when you reassemble the strut. Last thing, use a pencil/paint pen to mark the alignment bolt. Use a line on the head of the bolt that you can match up to the strut (ball park it). I actually used a pencil and outlined the strut to knuckle assembly, and it worked out.

Hope this helps

Spring Walkthru

Try this thread. It has some great pictures and includes some torque specs. We have gas shocks, so I imagine that that would be grease from another source. I didn't cut the bump stops since our springs don't give a huge drop.

Hope this helps

Good point. That makes me feel better.

I subscribed to that thread for when my father and brother help me swap the suspension. I will not attempt that on my own.

I'm not super proud of my bump stop mod. It bothers me that it is so loose and that I had to insert that stupid foam washer. I'm not even sure that the foam washer is going to survive.

Thanks Zen,

Hanslo

any fitment issues with H-techs on stock kybs? i want to run the H-techs on the kybs till i blow the struts then i would like to go tein flex coilovers. any complaints about the H-techs?

None that I've heard of. This sounds like a fine plan.

havent forgot about you guys or the thread/ my update.....as of now the front of my car sits on tien h techs on KYB struts, but i havent switched out the back yet. im working on getting some spacers, but if i cant i will just do the swap without them and hope for the best.

one sad thing is that i blew a tire since i started the swap, and now have 4 new snow tires which will affect my height measurements and any changes that i went through. ill do my best to compare heights and stance for everyone. hopefully will finish with the rears this weeknd

so i finally got my full Tien H tech swap on KYB struts done (no saggy butt shims). With the help of another member, we did the front a few weeks back, and were able to complete the rear swap this weekend. I dont have measurements to the wheel welds but have some pics which should give anyone considering these springs an idea.

My thoughts on Tien H techs:

Do not add significant harshness to the ride. They are a stiffer spring, so a stiffer ride is inevitable, however i feel that Tien did a good job managing this. Body roll is decreased (note i coupled my upgrade with Perrin 22mm F&R sway bars) so i dont know how much of a factor my springs are compared to my sways. I believe that the combo is unbeatable when coilovers or konis arent really an option for you. Getting back to ride quality, you feel a bit more irregularities in the road, but nothing too drastic. Im not constantly driving a family around, so i really wouldnt mind a harsher ride, but i honestly believe that it is managable by most reasonable ppl.

The drop is not as extreme as I would have liked, but i kinda knew that would be the case before the install. I needed a suspension upgrade on a budget and was able to find some new Tien H techs for $150 shipped ass opposed to buying swifts (what i rly wanted but couldnt find a cheap set.)

Here are some pics and I hope you enjoy.

Note 1: I did not use saggy butt shims, but i feel that my stance is rather even. Unless the back settles alot more, i am happy with my stance without my shims.

Note 2: I ended up blowing a tire inbetween my before/ after pics. In the befores im riding on Potenza G009s and in the afters im on Dunlop Wintersport M3s. Shouldnt make too much of a difference (both are 215/45/17) but i thought id mention it.

Pic 1: Front Before

Pic 2: Front After

Pic 3: Rear Before

Pic 4: Rear After

Pic 5: Full Stance After (note, very slight butt sag if at all)

SSPX0696.thumb.jpg.4d08711c320c58be372ec8b4a6724f76.jpg

SSPX0698.thumb.jpg.66136e6758e2e782e667c59e55ffeb31.jpg

SSPX0695.thumb.jpg.135db483932b8c5c66ad99ff13748014.jpg

SSPX0699.thumb.jpg.803d7b3c39a0aaeb7110269e49108a99.jpg

SSPX0697.thumb.jpg.b8e10dd2d502113bb86d1c7833d805df.jpg

Looks great. I'm sure it's more fun to drive now. I'm hoping for a similar stance with my Eibachs.

I've had cobb sway bars for about a year, i'm getting new tires tomorrow (conti-dws in 225/45/17) and then my springs on Thanksgiving. So I should be able to compare the incremental effects of each upgrade as its added on.

Hanslo

Originally posted by BagheeraLGT:

.....Body roll is decreased (note i coupled my upgrade with Perrin 22mm F&R sway bars) so i dont know how much of a factor my springs are compared to my sways.....

Any problems with fitment like Joon525 experienced?

Originally posted by Joon525:

Just warning you guys who are looking to purchase the H-techs.

I had them on stock shocks at about 25-30,000 miles and they were fine with the stock rear sway bar.

I got the Progress rear sway bar and it started hitting the rear lower control arm on larger bumps. I had to cut off a tiny piece of the sway bar to clear the lower control arm. If the H-techs were a little stiffer this probably or Progress slightly changed the shape of their bar this would've been avoided.

Just letting you guys know.

SO far ive noticed no fittament problems with the rear bar. I have though, heard a knock from the front bar when going slow around turns when I really have to crank my wheel. I have factory endlinks, so it cant be an endlink thing.

I did notice that upon install the OEM and Perrin FSBs were slightly different in shape, while the Rear bars were identical except for the level of thickness. That is what i attribute my front knock to, however i do find it somewhat odd as alot of members are running a perrin 22mm FSB and have not reported any fittament (knock) issues. Even in my situation though, it is slight at most.

well Joon is talking about the rear bar knocking, Mike i thought u were expereincing it upfront which i would blame on the whimpy front endlinks, you may not be getting it in the rear because you were smart and got the AVO brackets. Your car probably has some more settling to do atleast in the rear. were able to get ur alignment yet? curious if it was your old struts because your front did look ike it may have been slightly bent when we took it out

^yup, it is the front bar on mine that knocks rarely. It could verywell be the stocker endlinks which i have kept on. Ill be able to say its that for sure, if i ever upgrade to raliteks or karboys.

My car is at the shop today for the alignment, so hopefully i can let you know tonight what the deal is with the alignment and my struts. If the struts are bent, ill prolly part out the components and try and bring the strut housing to a scrap metal place or junkyard. Think i could get any bank there for them?

Archived