LegacyGT.com

Question About Hoods...

I haven't seen any coverage on this issue here, but I was wondering if there are any problems putting a scooped hood on, say, a 2.5i SE. I just like the look and needed to know if there are any measures I need to take with one on (I'm relatively new to this stuff). Thanks in advance.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll probably just buy an OEM and use that. Now, as for the mechanics of it all, how does rain factor into the opening? I know on the models that actually use the scoop, everything else is generally out of the way. Will that be something I need to take into consideration with my non-turbo, or will the water not really bother anything?

Yes.. a turbo. It's generally seen as rice to put a scoop where no scoop is needed.

Though, do what you like, it's your car. Personally I would be worried about water messing up the engine compartment. On GTs, the scoop directs air mostly over the IC, on a 2.5i it'll just go everywhere I would think.

the old impreza outback sports had hoodscoops, no turbo. as did a few other subarus. not a big old subaru fan so i dunno which ones..

putting a scooped hood on a nonturbo car is pretty low on the rice factor IMO... since subaru themselves did it.

once u throw in fake bovs and whistlers this becomes a problem..

car for sale. PM me!

the old impreza outback sports had hoodscoops, no turbo. as did a few other subarus. not a big old subaru fan so i dunno which ones..

putting a scooped hood on a nonturbo car is pretty low on the rice factor IMO... since subaru themselves did it.

once u throw in fake bovs and whistlers this becomes a problem..

+1, subaru put scoops on n/a cars for years

If you're looking to install just the scoop that are made for legacy's, this site has some good ones, but good craftmans ship is needed to correctly install it.

http://www.japanparts.com/db/maker.php?maker=Subaru

If you dont wanna deal with that and just wanna buy a hood with the scoop. I located one for you on this site used from a legacy 05 with scoop.

http://car-part.com

As for covering the opening. If you go the first route no need to make the hole in the hood. Thats what i am assuming just the holes for the scoop to be installed.

Autozone. They sell adhesive tape hood scoops for $50-100, but everyone would call you a ricer. :lol:

that would be rice .. wrong forum :)

Bosco has a larger hood scoop on the Legacy. But he needs the extra cooling.

I must otherwise resist commenting.

bosco has a turbo ....

Hehe... As do I. I too am looking for possibly more cooling. I like the scoop to hood ratio on the new WRX's and think a similar hood may look better on my 07' SpecB. But I am also pretty much convinced to go a different way with my upcomming build. Just wanted to know.

And for the record I don't think its 'rice' to want a scoop on an N/A car. Rice would be putting all those stickers from manufactures for parts you don't have. Rice is making the car all show and no go when compared to stock. Rice is putting on an xhaust tip and calling it a performance mod. Rice is not getting your own hands dirty at least a little bit.

IMO. No offense to those who follow that path. Its just a different path from what I follow. :D

And for the record I don't think its 'rice' to want a scoop on an N/A car. Rice would be putting all those stickers from manufactures for parts you don't have. Rice is making the car all show and no go when compared to stock. Rice is putting on an xhaust tip and calling it a performance mod. Rice is not getting your own hands dirty at least a little bit....

it MAY not be rice to do a hood swap, as subaru has had scoops on NA cars for years, but to add a LARGER than stock scoop to an NA car would be rice. also, by your own admission, adding stuff that does not add performance = rice.

adding stickers for parts you don't have is like adding a scoop to a turbo you don't have; all show & no go is like adding a scoop to a car w/ no tmic to feed. rice is putting an obnoxious 8" fart can on your car, not every exhaust is rice ...

Archived