LegacyGT.com

Mixing brands of oil.

So, it has been about 37 minutes since someone started an oil thread. When doing oil changes on our '94 Camry, I quite regularly put in a mixture of brands depending on what leftover 5 quart jugs I have sitting on the shelf. Said Camry has about 198,000 miles on it and uses no oil between 3,000 mile changes. I also will change back and forth between conventional and synthetic depending on the season. I do not mix weights however, as I don't want to do the math to calculate the final viscosity. I am concerned the car may not make it to 300,000. Should I rethink my practice?
It is still ugly.

in truth mixing conventional oil brands is less likely to have an adverse affect given that the conventional weight of the oil is the same.

each brand has a slightly different chemical make up to each other, and because of this, boiling tempreatures, viscosity levels, etc. are different. it is a good idea to always use the same brand, but it is your choice. do some research, there is LOADS of awesome information to be had talking about the different chemical make ups of oil for your car.

Sorry but I was busy this weekend - bought a new car :) (not to replace the Legacy, that doesn't happen until my 2011 Legacy STI that I ordered arrives :wub: )

Obviously this is a horrible idea and obviously it will cause a lot of damage to your engine. I have read about this a lot, mixing different brands of oils is very bad.

Archived