LegacyGT.com

Some one please tell me why???

B4_Maniac

Can some come please tell me why the Legacy does not come with rear speakers? Not the ones on the door, but the usual place where a nice set of 6X9's would go. Plus, they don't even make cut holes for them. And on another note, I am worried about the 6 disc..I went through 3 of them in my 01 Legacy. CD's kept on getting jammed. Is this a new changer design?

Rear speakers dropping down from the back deck would interfere with the trunk lid tension rods: [img]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDIyMDgwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg[/img] There is [i]one[/i] hole about the size of a 6x9 on the drivers side but you couldn't put anything in it because of the above reason. Personally, even if I [b]could[/b] put a set of 6x9's in the deck, I wouldn't. I spent too many years in high school trying various 6x9's in the rear decks of friend's cars, in single speaker box enclosures, in multiple speaker box enclosures without achieving what I (or my friends) were looking for. There is plenty of mid-range and tweeter going on already in the car. Time for a sub. :D

Maybe that white box ties into a remote trunk release somehow? I'm not quite sure. Yeah, rear speakers don't make much of a difference to me, personally. I'd rather have an awesome set of front components and a sub in the trunk, while not caring about rear fill much.

I'm definitely thinking about adding an aftermarket sub if the stock sub doesn't cut it. I don't want a bazillion decible, multiple 15" sub box but I do want to be able to enjoy the bass as well as the midrange and tweeter in whatever i am listening to. If I put a sub box in the trunk, I want it to be easily removable so I can take it out for weekend trips with the family.

[quote name='Th3Franz']Maybe that white box ties into a remote trunk release somehow? I'm not quite sure. Yeah, rear speakers don't make much of a difference to me, personally. I'd rather have an awesome set of front components and a sub in the trunk, while not caring about rear fill much.[/quote] Does the back middle seat have a shoulder belt? Could the white box simply be a container to hold the retractable belt device?

From the audiophile perspective, more speakers=bad sound. Subarus have been known for better than average sound, simply because rather than throwing lots of power and speakers at the interiors, somebody actually listens, and pays attention. In an ideal auto world, you wouldn't even have speakers in the rear doors, just two, roughly midway up the door panel. Problem is, that's where the door handles go, so the compromises begin. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='brady_bunch']I'm definitely thinking about adding an aftermarket sub if the stock sub doesn't cut it. I don't a bazillion decible, multiple 15" sub box but I do want to be able to enjoy the bass as well as the midrange and tweeter in whatever i am listening to. If I put a sub box in the trunk, I want it to be easily removable so I can take it out for weekend trips with the family.[/quote] I hope you didn't order the joke of a stock sub! If you're looking for easily removable bass, the Infiniti Basslink seems to be popular choice (though not mine).

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I hope you didn't order the joke of a stock sub! If you're looking for easily removable bass, the Infiniti Basslink seems to be popular choice (though not mine).[/quote] Erk! I did order the stock sub! I ask you guys about tires, STi pedals and all kinds of other stuff and then completely forget to get input about the sub. It's over... I'm cancelling my order. Senility is setting in and I'll probably forget how to drive by the time it gets here. :lol:

When you consider that a) a car isn't a suitable bass environment and that b) the best you can hope for is a lower-midrange bump, which the Subaru "subwoofer" does quite well, the stock sub is a good deal, and more than adequate for playing music for you, in your car. This is why car bass is always that big, flabby "whoom," instead of the sound of a properly propagated bass wave. There's generally no getting around the fact that a bass wave needs space to propagate. A car does not provide that space. I have the factory sub in my WRX, and had to turn it down to keep it from getting too obnoxious. Kevin

I had the factory sub in my WRX as well and, as it did it's job and added to the lower midrange, left me unsatisfied. I think a car is a suitable place to propogate bass, and I have proven that to myself in my own vehicles. I'm not afraid to experiment with aftermarket components when I KNOW factory ones aren't adequate to my liking.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I had the factory sub in my WRX as well and, as it did it's job and added to the lower midrange, left me unsatisfied. I think a car is a suitable place to propogate bass, and I have proven that to myself in my own vehicles. I'm not afraid to experiment with aftermarket components when I KNOW factory ones aren't adequate to my liking.[/quote] Let's agree to disagree. A car is a suitable place to propagate a nice lower-midrange/upper bass hump that convinces you it's real bass, until you hear real bass. Then you understand. The best listening room I ever had for my speakers (Carver Amazings with 4x12" woofers on each panel) was a 2700 square foot loft, with no walls or columns. The speakers were at one end, my chair was midway in the room. The bass was tight, smooth, full and tuneful, because the bass wave had space to breathe. Cars can do tricks with ported enclosures, etc, but the fundamental reality is that any reasonable approximation of bass will overpower the remainder of the frequencies. That's why you hear "boom cars" sound the way that they do. It's unavoidable. Mind you, this doesn't even get into the realm of playing music for yourself, not the person in the next car... Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Let's agree to disagree. A car is a suitable place to propagate a nice lower-midrange/upper bass hump that convinces you it's real bass, until you hear real bass. Then you understand. The best listening room I ever had for my speakers (Carver Amazings with 4x12" woofers on each panel) was a 2700 square foot loft, with no walls or columns. The speakers were at one end, my chair was midway in the room. The bass was tight, smooth, full and tuneful, because the bass wave had space to breathe. Cars can do tricks with ported enclosures, etc, but the fundamental reality is that any reasonable approximation of bass will overpower the remainder of the frequencies. That's why you hear "boom cars" sound the way that they do. It's unavoidable. Mind you, this doesn't even get into the realm of playing music for yourself, not the person in the next car... Kevin[/quote] While you are correct because "true" bass can't truly be heard in a car...I still prefer it over the wimpy stock sub. While I'm not really into "boom", I can appreciate the closest I can get to clear, defined lows, and the stock sub simply doesn't make the cut.

What I'm saying is that you aren't hearing "clear, defined lows." That is impossible in a car. You're hearing a flabby upper/midbass that is present in lots of quantity, but not in quality. If you like it, that's fine...no worries...but it is what it is. Kevin

[quote name='easton']Tis is why, in the car, bass shakers are so great. Accurate to 20hz or below![/quote] If you in fact could get accurate bass in a car down to 20 cycles, you wouldn't hear it. You would just think that your engine had gone haywire, as the car would be vibrating. Bass reproduction of that quality is expensive, and requires LOTS of power. A friend has speakers (Nestorovic NA-1s) that are flat down to 10 cycles. There is a Partch piece from "Delusion of the Fury," that has a 15-cycle note. You don't hear it, you just wonder why you're nauseous. :lol: Kevin

The next step from that would be having hydraulics that bounce your car to the beat. But base shakers are pretty cheap, I've seen a pair for $40. Just take one with a mono amp/crossover and mount it under the driver seat. As long as things don't start shaking loose. I've thought about using them for games too, like playing GT4 with a logitech wheel and a chair with the shakers mounted under it.

Kevin, Check this out. [url]http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/clark-synthesis-tactile-transducer-8-2000.html[/url] Tactile transducers are great for the car because they don't weigh much, don't take up much room, don't irritate other drivers, and will not damage your hearing. I actually own a home theater custom installation firm, and the response these things get from clients is unbelievable.

[quote name='easton']Kevin, Check this out. [url]http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/clark-synthesis-tactile-transducer-8-2000.html[/url] Tactile transducers are great for the car because they don't weigh much, don't take up much room, don't irritate other drivers, and will not damage your hearing. I actually own a home theater custom installation firm, and the response these things get from clients is unbelievable.[/quote] Looks intresting easton! I'd have to hear it first though!

Talk about bass. I was at an intersection yesterday with my stereo up pretty loud when I started hearing, no actually, feeling would be a better way to put it, a deep bass beat. I thought it was the song that was on so I tried to adjust the bass on my stereo. No change. I then turned my stereo off. Still there. It was so powerfull the whole car was shaking. I immediately started looking around for the 22" spinners, but nobody was wearing those shoes. Best I could tell it was a Toyota Sequoia a couple cars back. I never did figure out exactly which vehicle was producing that sound, but I had a hunch. Honestly the only way I could tell would get me labeled a racist. :wink: Anyway, I've never felt bass like that in a car and it wasn't even in my car! FWIW, the stock stereo with the factory sub/amp is plenty for my, admittedly non audiophile, ears. I still might try that grounding mod though. :wink: Cheers! -Ian

[quote name='goneskiian']I still might try that grounding mod though. :wink:[/quote] I'm seriously thinking about that, too, but with a wire color that won't stick out in the engine compartment. Do we have the process (parts list and instructions) documented somewhere on these forums?

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='goneskiian']I still might try that grounding mod though. :wink:[/quote] I'm seriously thinking about that, too, but with a wire color that won't stick out in the engine compartment. Do we have the process (parts list and instructions) documented somewhere on these forums?[/quote] I wrote up a little thread. Search for grounding mod and it should come up. [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=763[/url]

Archived