LegacyGT.com

OBXT aftermarket rim?

03Indigo

I know this should probably go in the wheel and tire forum, but I was wondering who has aftermarket rims on their OB, and if they had pics. i am looking at getting a set of 18" with summer rubber in the 245-45-18 range.

Just curious as to what aftermarket rims are out there and what they look like on actual cars, not photo shop or wheel site computer programs.

I searched, but came up dry on this site

thanks

cheers

jon

Thanks, I found those, nice, but not what i am looking for, looking for something a bit more thick. I am also interested in seeing gunmetal rims on an outback. I think with the silver and dark grey lowers, a darker rim would be HOT.

Just not finding much out there....and seeing is believing. Tire rack and Discount online just don't cut the mustard for me with their "virtual wheel fitment" thingies.

something like these, just a few in the styles i like. let me know what you all think.

Kazera KZ-B in 18"

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/kazera/swap/kazera_kz_b_ltgy_ci3_l.jpg

or the MB Motorsports Weapon

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmwea.gm.xl.jpg

or the MB Motorsports

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmboo.gm.xl.jpg

I know they are not "top of the line rims, but for what i drive, and how I drive, they will be more than fine. Price point is more than reasonable, I like the style, but wonder if they might be too dark. Maybe I should just have them bring some in and test fit them, and see how that goes. I do have a friend that works at a Discount tire, maybe he can help me out with minimal cost to see how things look.

here they are for the lazy, I should have just done this, but it was a long night at work, and now at home, it is easier for me to link things from the home system

Option #1, Kazera KZ-B 18"

Option #2, MB Motorsports Weapon 18"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmwea.gm.ang.jpg

Option #3, MB Motorsports Boost 18"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmboo.gm.ang.jpg

Let me know which ones you all like, and if you think the gunmetal look will look good on a silver outback XT with the dark silver lowers.

I like options 1 and 2, with the edge to 2. While I like open-appearing wheels, unless I had a BBK I'd be embarassed to show off my stock brakes (call me vain).

Let us know what you choose. I'm also considering aftermarket wheels for my OBXT.

D

Thanks guys for the feed back. I also do like the OZ's. Those are nice, but I was looking at gunmetal rims and wondering how something like those would look on the XT with the dark grey lowers.

I think my favorite so far are the MB Weapons, but also the OZ's...might get those and then have them re-finished to closely match the lowers on the car...hmmmm, decisions.

At least I have time to think on this one, not ordering wheels and tires until either late summer or first thing next spring.

I am not so conserned about the BBK, I think I might want to upgrade to the LGT calipers and rotors, as they are both bigger and vented...then get aftermarket rotors that are cadmium plated slotted and drilled. Then toss in some Ceramic Pads.

I don't know why but I'm a little down (not in a good way) on the five spokes for the OB/Leg. I think it would look good with something a little more substantial. Thinking something like the OZ Superleggra but they are a bit heavy looking.

Thinking something like the OZ Superleggra but they are a bit heavy looking.

you know, superleggera means "super light" in italian. And i don't think they are heavy looking at all. In 18", they are wicked light, like in the SSR Comp range if I am correct. But they are expensive, and I am not racing, so super light rims are not that important to me for a daily driver. My MINI Cooper is more for racing, so it is more of an issue there.

But they are expensive, and I am not racing, so super light rims are not that important to me for a daily driver.

THe config pic on tire rack made the rims (e.g. not the spokes) look a little thick, glad to hear that isn't the case. I think they were mid 200s at TireRack, at least doable for me. THough if they truly are superlight I'd be a little concerned about that. I still want to be able to drive rough gravel/fire roads, e.g. I wouldn't do a really low aspect ratio. So for that reason I may just end up sitcking w/ the 17s and just mouninting summer rubber.

here they are for the lazy, I should have just done this, but it was a long night at work, and now at home, it is easier for me to link things from the home system

Option #1, Kazera KZ-B 18"

Option #2, MB Motorsports Weapon 18"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmwea.gm.ang.jpg

Option #3, MB Motorsports Boost 18"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmboo.gm.ang.jpg

Let me know which ones you all like, and if you think the gunmetal look will look good on a silver outback XT with the dark silver lowers.

I know nothing about MB Wheels, but I hear from many enthusiasts that Rota wheels are pretty decent, and cheaper than the MB's. Here's a comparable-looking wheel on Subydude's site:

http://www.subydude.com/parts/detailwheels.php?7171170

I'd like to get these myself...love the way they look, and I'm totally in agreeance with you about the "steel gray" matching our fender flare/bumper color tone. My biggest problem is, I can't justify buying a new tire/wheel combo until I buy an extended factory warranty (since I'm financing for 4 years...boo!).

Curious whatcha' think (??)

Tim G.

'05 OBXTL

11k and climbing fast (and dying to take off the snow tires!)

My biggest problem is, I can't justify buying a new tire/wheel combo until I buy an extended factory warranty (since I'm financing for 4 years...boo!).

Huh? Have you read the warranty? What are you looking to get that isn't covered? This is coming from someone who bought one on the WRX but did not on the LGT.

In other words, buy the wheels/tires and forego the $1500 security blanket. :D

Huh? Have you read the warranty? What are you looking to get that isn't covered? This is coming from someone who bought one on the WRX but did not on the LGT.

In other words, buy the wheels/tires and forego the $1500 security blanket. :D

...to pay a repair bill ON TOP of his car payment, all because his mileage ran over the 36k factory warranty ;-)

It's not a question of "what's not already covered", but a question of "payment duration vs. 36k limited warranty". I guess I still drive more than I thought I did. I'm with ya'...I don't **expect** anything will go wrong with my OBXT, however, I bought my car in late-Aug and already have 11.5k miles on the car. So, unless I buy the extended warranty, there'll probably be at least 1+ solid year of making car payments after my warranty's expired. And IMHO, that's called "walking a tightrope without a net"!

Even if an extended warranty ends up being 1500 bucks (from what I've read, it shouldn't be all that much if I shop around), it's a small price to pay given what COULD go wrong, especially on a new model year.

Tim G.

That's the cost through Subaru (obviously, you could pay less with a third party). The Subaru warranty is 3/36K Bumper-To-Bumper. The drivetrain (including turbo) is warranted for 5/60K. I didn't know that when we spent $1500 on the WRX warranty.

That's the cost through Subaru (obviously, you could pay less with a third party). The Subaru warranty is 3/36K Bumper-To-Bumper. The drivetrain (including turbo) is warranted for 5/60K. I didn't know that when we spent $1500 on the WRX warranty.

...although the turbo, drivetrain, and major engine components would be my first concern on most any car, doesn't appear to be justified on these cars (thank gawd!). That's not to say none of the interior gadgets, like climate control, guages, or systems like HVAC, ABS, etc couldn't run you an easy $1500 if something were to go wrong with one of them. Especially with labor rates on the climb. We'll see. I sure do want a set of wheels, PLUS ditching the RE-92's wouldn't be a bad thing :rolleyes:

Tim G.

I know nothing about MB Wheels, but I hear from many enthusiasts that Rota wheels are pretty decent, and cheaper than the MB's. Here's a comparable-looking wheel on Subydude's site:

http://www.subydude.com/parts/detailwheels.php?7171170

Yeah, those are nice, but only 17". I want 18", and the 2 options he has in 18"x7.5" are bunk in my opinion. NOT a fan of those at all. So, I am back to the ones I showed. Thanks for the suggestion though.

cheers

jon

Yeah, those are nice, but only 17". I want 18", and the 2 options he has in 18"x7.5" are bunk in my opinion. NOT a fan of those at all. So, I am back to the ones I showed. Thanks for the suggestion though.

cheers

jon

...I'm just having a tough time imagining how my mushy and easy-to-bottom-out stock XT suspension would handle with 45 series rubber. My feeling is it would amplify its shortcomings in the "sport" department. Until someone (hopefully Bilstein) comes out with a semi cost-effective suspension upgrade solution, I'm stuck having to make the most of it, and I'm pretty sure that won't entail a set of 18's. Just my $.02 worth.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

Rgds,

Tim

Suspension will be upgraded as well...so that won't be an issue.

As for bottoming out......whatchu-talkin-'bout'-Willis? How hard do you drive your XT? I drive fast, aggressive, and push the car a bit, but have NEVER come close to bottoming out. So for me and the roads in my area, that is not an issue...and with a 45 series tire on an 18" rim with a 245 width aspect...there is plenty of rubber and protection. I had that same set up on my audi allroad, and it made significant diffrences in the handling BEFORE suspension upgrades. I then lowered the car with a computer modification and put on Sway Bars...the car was amazing. I plan on doing the same with the XT...a modest drop, and sways. With wheels and tires, it will be most excellent ;)

I guess it all comes down to preference and how you like your ride. I have a 40 series tire on my mini cooper...those rims are close to the ground....and that is a rough ride compared to the XT...so dropping a 1/2" of sidewall is not that much, and won't have much to do with the suspension bottoming out unless you hit those speed bumps at 50mph, haha.

I know suspension upgrades will be out soon, and I too want a reasonable damper and better springs, and with decent costs as well...that will be nice, but in the mean time, I am just looking for some visuals of these types of darker rims on an XT. I won't be getting rims for a while, gonna burn these oem tires to the ground first, heck, I paid for them, might as well abuse them, right?

Archived