LegacyGT.com

OBXT aftermarket rim?

03Indigo

I know suspension upgrades will be out soon, and I too want a reasonable damper and better springs, and with decent costs as well...that will be nice, but in the mean time, I am just looking for some visuals of these types of darker rims on an XT. I won't be getting rims for a while, gonna burn these oem tires to the ground first, heck, I paid for them, might as well abuse them, right?

At least the OEMs on the OB are decent if not super grippy, they do pretty good in deeper snow ice for not being dedicated winters. I _hated_ the OEM bridgestones on my WRX.

Suspension will be upgraded as well...so that won't be an issue.

I won't be getting rims for a while, gonna burn these oem tires to the ground first, heck, I paid for them, might as well abuse them, right?

My take on it is that I paid good money for a safe high performance machine. So why should I compromise my safety and my car's performance with those mediocre tires?

A tire upgrade is a good investment. Makes the car much more enjoyable, and safer.

I totally agree, that is why I am upgrading, but first, gonna smoke these tires down, get through the rest of this winter, finish building the new house, move, do landscaping, then as winter comes around, then pop for new wheels and tires at one time. Just want to start doing me research early...and know what I want when I want it.

so, back on topic....anyone have any pics of dark rims on an XT? anyone?

Suspension will be upgraded as well...so that won't be an issue.

As for bottoming out......whatchu-talkin-'bout'-Willis? How hard do you drive your XT? I drive fast, aggressive, and push the car a bit, but have NEVER come close to bottoming out. So for me and the roads in my area, that is not an issue...and with a 45 series tire on an 18" rim with a 245 width aspect...there is plenty of rubber and protection. I had that same set up on my audi allroad, and it made significant diffrences in the handling BEFORE suspension upgrades. I then lowered the car with a computer modification and put on Sway Bars...the car was amazing. I plan on doing the same with the XT...a modest drop, and sways. With wheels and tires, it will be most excellent ;)

I guess it all comes down to preference and how you like your ride. I have a 40 series tire on my mini cooper...those rims are close to the ground....and that is a rough ride compared to the XT...so dropping a 1/2" of sidewall is not that much, and won't have much to do with the suspension bottoming out unless you hit those speed bumps at 50mph, haha.

I know suspension upgrades will be out soon, and I too want a reasonable damper and better springs, and with decent costs as well...that will be nice, but in the mean time, I am just looking for some visuals of these types of darker rims on an XT. I won't be getting rims for a while, gonna burn these oem tires to the ground first, heck, I paid for them, might as well abuse them, right?

...maybe "hitting the bumpstops" would be more accurate than "bottoming out". For example, if you search the Edmunds.com postings on the '05 Outback/LGT by the "Subaru Crew", you should see a number of owners have complained about what can probably be described as "improper valving" of the OBXT's struts, causing the suspension to hit the bumpstop on even the mildest of dips. I'm not hard on my cars whatsoever (nor do I weigh 450 lbs), but I've had this happen a number of times even without anyone/anything else in the car with me.

I know what you mean about wanting to burn-down the stick RE-92a's. I hate the idea of throwing them away, but I'm not a real fan of them either, and it's not like anyone would want to buy them, so what other option is there. Sly's comment is one to think about though; I guess losing the RE92's is a small sacrifice to help ensure your car stays on the road.

As for running 45 series rubber, I ran 235/45R-17's on my '88 M5, and both my '91 535i's and while I don't know what the roads in Denver are like, a 45 series tire is often very ill-suited for New Jersey's higways and biways with the potholes, channels, and bridge joints we have in the area. Yes, our roads suck.

So, anyway...that's where I'm coming from. Just thought I'd offer some clarification. Would love to see pics of your car once you've done some of this work to her. I'm trying to find some pics of our cars with the 'steel gray' wheel on it. I'll let ya' know if I find one.

Cheers,

Tim G.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived