LegacyGT.com

AVS rain guards installed

Hello to all...was a little skeptical about ordering these rain guards for my car, but it turned out just fine. I always had rain guards on my previous cars...so i ordered these from mycarworx.com for like $80 just thought id share =)

just so you dont spent 3-4 times as much on "JDM" ones that arent really necessary since it looks the same and serves the same purpose :rolleyes:

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.265752556e0bf01fe950b57f1153849f.jpg

IMG_0008.thumb.jpg.ecff0043a5be9b94f20366fbbe5b9fb2.jpg

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

What is happening with the rear section in the second pic? Is that a reflection, or does it do some weird crease near the end?

I agree that the JDM versions, which I have, are so subtle that they don't offer much weather protection. I bought them because they were JDM and I'm a sucker for that stuff.

However the installer noted that they were by far the best fitting rain guards he's ever installed... OEM gear has it's advantages in this case. But not much else.

How was the install and fitment? Good?

I recently put a set of these on my car as well. They are not as slim as the JDM version but they look better on the LGT than I thought they would.

Haven't tried them in the rain yet but I can tell you that they make a big difference to reduce air trauma in the cabin when travelling at highway speeds. I can now ride comfortably with windows down,,, whereas before, I felt like the wind was beating me up.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Gire, how do the JDM ones attach to the car?

I have been debating on picking up a set, just not sure if the JDM ones justify the extra cost.

thanks

clips and 2-sided tape. Probably the same as these AVS versions.

The fit and fitment of the JDM OEM versions is spot-on though...

install was easy...too bad its not in-channel visors

however..cant complain...its a perfect fit

cleaned the area with alcohol prep pads

then pre fit before removing the tape,

start with rear window and remove an inch

of tape on both ends, line it up and press on

the front attatches to the rear visor, and fits flush

as for cracking the windows when it rained the other day

i was only able to open it 1/2 to 3/4 inches at the most

but its still beneficial for me living here in chicago with the

humidity and snow...so i believe its still beneficial to prevent

windows from fogging =)

my previous vehicles were a 97 toyota tercel, 98 acura teg GSR

and an 02 mitsubishi lancer and had avs rain guards on

both vehicles...with the subies you just cant lower the

windows as much as i am used to

steve @mycarworx is a nice guy and would refer legacy

owners to him...price is not bad at all either

hope this doesnt bore anyone, but just thouht id do a lil write up...

its been a few years since i been on forums when i owned the fastest lancer (non evo) hehehe 308whp and 301 wtq to be exact

subie is a great..i mean excellent car...never felt so safe and handles great

also for the pic it must be the reflection i guess..it all there in one piece....

after install it does look like one big deflector...its a 4 piece set

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I also installed a set of these recently...mine were the wagon version, of course. The install was easy, but the front/back pieces on one side don't quite line up. I'm planning to even it up with a Dremel once I have a chance. I don't think it is too noticeable -- it's a small price to pay for the $200 savings compared to JDM.

FYI: I got mine on Amazon for about $50 (w/ free shipping), if you need the wagon version search for Outback parts rather than Legacy.

Gire - How far can you open the windows, before rain/weather starts to intrude?

---

All others with this particular non-OEM rainguard.....

How's highway NVH, with your windows *up*?

There's been a handful of reports from the JDM rainguard owners that at highway speeds, they get a whistling from the rainguards that did not exist prior to install.

Do you guys see this at all? Of-course, the windows would have to be up :lol: - otherwise, I'd bet that wind-noise would obscure the whistling. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Good for you.... A path to LGT / com immortality is to do a write up in the How To section.

Please do a cut and paste in that write up section. It would be great!

I posted scanned install directions (and a link to another member's walkthrough w/pics) of the JDM visors here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110385&highlight=jdm+rain+visors

Should be basically the same for these

[

There's been a handful of reports from the JDM rainguard owners that at highway speeds, they get a whistling from the rainguards that did not exist prior to install.

Do you guys see this at all? Of-course, the windows would have to be up :lol: - otherwise, I'd bet that wind-noise would obscure the whistling. :)

I've noticed a slight whistle but it's hard to differentiate between the bad bearing noise I've also been listening to for the last thousand miles. Doesn't seem as annoying as some of the JDM rainguard complaints I remember hearing about though.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

^ I may not hear it at all, then, given my cat-back..... :redface: Thanks for that, eldiablo. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Tried this yesterday: 65-70 mph, windows up, radio off...I didn't notice any whistling. In fact, I find wind noise in general to be reduced since installing the rainguards.

No whistling on my JDMs. But I can only open them... about 2 inches and keep rain out.

If I smoked, I might be able to flick a cigarette in the opening.

These are honestly more for asthetics than anything else!

^ Thank you, bruddah, as-always, for your honest assessment.

I've caved-in to impulse buying, and got a set of the MyCarWorx units. Figured that at that cost, I could easily just give it a try over the coming winter season, and if I didn't like it, go to the JDMs.

I'll post back with impressions. :)

Good call dude. I didn't buy my JDM units for their wind cheating/ rain delfecting prowess. I bought them because they were JDM and I was on a JDM binge at the time.

I love them though as they are so sleek and unobtrusive, I have to sometimes point them out- unless I'm at a Legacy meet and another guy geeks out on them from 50 feet away.:lol:

Heck, bro, you know me, I'm a sucker for the mad-tyte JDM-ness, yo, too. :lol::redface:

I've actually never had rainguards on a vehicle before - I've always been a "wind (and rain, snow, or even ice) in the hair" kind of guy.....but this'll be good for the little one in the back.

I really love the way the JDMs look, but I just can't fork out $200+, without at least somewhat knowing what I'm getting into.

This $80 would've gone a long way towards that $200 budget, but I thought I'd at least give it a shot. :)

Damn, that was *fast*.

I ordered on Monday (some time in the mid-AM hours), chose the three-day ship option, and MyCarWorx shipped that very same day, with a Quantum notice from UPS by 3PM! :eek:

That's great service! :)

Got it at my back door this afternoon. I'm eager to go out and pop it on the car....

Super-easy install. 15-minutes, including pre-positioning.

I couldn't figure out whether it was supposed to tape to the painted area of the car's A/C-pillars and roof or to the rain-gutter, so that took the extra 10 minutes. Once I consulted the pix here a bit more, as well as looked at the install booklet again, it literally took 5 minutes to prep and get it on the car.

Fit was pretty darned good. My driver's side required a bit more repositioning, it seemed that the mold for that side's guard was a little off-kilter in terms of the fit of the front piece to the rear piece, but that's not really visible from anything but up close and personal. Given that my car's not a show-car, well, there's really nothing to complain about, particularly at the price.

We'll see how this piece does at keeping the weather out. Too bad I don't expect any rain until at least the end of the week....

They definitely don't look nearly as sleek as the JDM-OEM piece, but for the price, it's hard to complain. :redface:

If y'all with the JDMs - Gire and scoobydoobie, would please be so kind as to verify how far you can open your windows, without the weather intruding - both at-speed as well as at-idle, that would be most appreicated, as I try to judge whether the "investment" in the JDMs will be worth it.

Certainly, they'll be prettier. ;)

i dont know much, but i read on another car forum on their frameless windows they have to leave the window down to clear the guards when opening the doors. do you have to do this with the legacy? can you leave the windows up when opening the doors?

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

^ Installed properly, no, you do not have to put the window down, any, at all, to close/open.

I've got a feeling that some of those others didn't install their product properly. :lol:

----

Initial impressions:

From 20 ft. away, the rainguard blends well into the side profile, even on a ABP.

Closer up, yes, I'd like the aesthetics of the JDM-OEM more, undoubtedly. I just have to ask myself if I'm willing to pay that much...probably :redface: , but we'll see. I've certainly not skimped on Winky, and I'm not about to start now. :)

From direct-rear or direct-front, it's all but invisible.

Functionally, with the front windows open, there's noticeably less wind-buff, even at only secondary/surface-street speeds (40 MPH and under). I've yet to take her out on the highway. I've also yet to try it with all 4 windows open, but that'll come this afternoon on my homeward commute.

Rain predicted in the extended forecast starting Monday of the coming week.

Archived