LegacyGT.com

Disappointed

The only rattle I've run into that was from the car (as opposed to the dozen-or-so created by my wife storing sunglasses and lotion bottles in the passenger door compartment [...]

I can sort of relate. I seriously thought I blew out my right front speaker once but it turned out my girlfriend just left her sunglasses in that door compartment. They didn't rattle over bumps or anything, just with the bass from my stereo. The bad part was that I drove with it like that for almost a week before I was complaining to her that I was going to have to buy new speakers (it's always easier to justify buying things for my car if they're broken) and my girlfriend pulled out her sunglasses and everything went back to normal. :redface:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't make em like they used to.

I'd rather have my boxer burble, or H6 howl, and AWD anyday over some every day straight 4 FWD though.

SO DOES EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THIS SITE :lol:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I can sort of relate. I seriously thought I blew out my right front speaker once but it turned out my girlfriend just left her sunglasses in that door compartment. They didn't rattle over bumps or anything, just with the bass from my stereo. The bad part was that I drove with it like that for almost a week before I was complaining to her that I was going to have to buy new speakers (it's always easier to justify buying things for my car if they're broken) and my girlfriend pulled out her sunglasses and everything went back to normal. :redface:

Iv'e got it!!! Time to foam and sound-proof all wives and G/F's!!!!!

i came from a mk2 vr6, i enjoyed driving that over my lgt. Problem is, german cars are over-engineered electrical nightmares that are hell to work on. And expensive to work on

+1

Try taking your car into the dealership a few times...be persistant and work with them. Normally they don't really have time to do that kind of work. I took my Outback 3 times to 2 different dealers and they finally fixed all the rattles and now it's perfect...100% rattle-free.

+1

Try taking your car into the dealership a few times...be persistant and work with them. Normally they don't really have time to do that kind of work. I took my Outback 3 times to 2 different dealers and they finally fixed all the rattles and now it's perfect...100% rattle-free.

I took in my LGT for a center console rattle, they replaced it under warranty. The dealer gets paid by SOA for the warranty work they do, so it's another revenue bump if they accept your car. At least that was my exact experience.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

our passat has had all kinds of electrical problems (had battery issues, etc) including the seat warmers going out....which is gonna cost 1000's of dollars to fix.

my 05 gt legacy has no rattles. i'm approaching 80k and my car runs great. by far, the legacy has been the most reliable car of all the dozen of cars i've owned.

They don't make em like they used to.

I'd rather have my boxer burble, or H6 howl, and AWD anyday over some every day straight 4 FWD though.

You know that an R32 is an AWD VR6 right?

OP, you had a miracle MKIV if the interior didn't fall apart on you. as for the rattles, you bought a new car: Warranty.

My 2005 only has a rattle under 0F or if I leave shit in the glovebox.

I test drove a Passat V6 when several years ago. My wife was driving and pulled out of the car dealership and into traffic. At the second stoplight, the engine died and would not restart. This of course was in the MIDDLE of the busy intersection. The dealership had to send another car to pick us up and a Tow Truck to retrieve the car.

That's when we decided to buy the Legacy GT. I haven't had a minutes trouble with the car. The one dash rattle that I found was easily fixed by following the instructions on one of the threads on this board- about 15 minutes of work.

So you can keep those crappy VW's - talk about overpriced garbage... I know Subie's have their quirks and maybe they are not for you, but I'd take one any day over a fickle 'electrically challenged' overpriced Passat or Jetta.

I understand how rattles could frustrate a person who bought a brand new car... I'd be disappointed also... But I don't think this should denote poor build quality across the whole car. Could be worse, could be the suspension or steering. There is far more to good build quality than noises coming from the dashboard. You could be basing your opinion of build quality of the entire car on one 30 cent wire tie under the dash. Overly high standards are the stepping stones to big disappointment. If you let the little inconsequential rattles go, you could enjoy the car for 200,000+ miles.

Besides, if its really bothering you take the car back to Subaru and tell them to do something about it. Its still under warranty.

Agreed with regards to your overall comments on build quality. I'm not saying the whole car is junk because of some rattles. I have had two faulty TPMS sensors on day one, the two side vents on driver and passenger sides look like one is properly seated in the dash (flush fit) while the one of the drivers side is not seated properly and the two rattles. I know these are minor things over all but none the less not great when one buys a new car. :)

My'06 C-dan was pretty tight at first, but then I added coilovers/bars/bushings, crazy loud exhaust, etc. and the rattles started to appear along with the miles (60k now).

The main rattle(s} that I couldn't stand came from the dash. There are many posts about various fixes and dealer visits. Mine was intermittent and temp dependent. Not wanting to go the the dealer and have them make things worse, I finally took the side panel of the dash off to see what I could do. I loosened two of the bolts holding the dash to the body. I then pulled the dash away from the body (it didn't move much as the other bolts were still tight) and inserted a couple of pieces of rubber (cut from an inner tube) between the dash and the mount creating a soft spacer.

Viola! No more rattles from the dash. FWIW, it worked for me.

Fortunately for me, my car does not have the infamous dash rattle (knocking on wood).

Wait, then he'd still have to listen to the rattles. He should by a Jaguar or a high end Mercedes, or something else over $60K.

A rattle free car is WAY more important than a safe, reliable, fun to drive car anyday..... :lol:

Point is, you can buy any car, ANY car, and it will eventually rattle. Things are made from other things, and everything wears out. Except for VW's and Audi's, those are milled from solid Unobtanium. ;)

I'm honestly dumbfounded that you sold a 2006 and a 2008 car just because you couldn't handle the little rattles they made. If anything fix them... Or buy a more expensive car. With all the money you lost in reselling those other cars you could've just put it all towards a midsize luxury sedan from BMW and been done with it, but even those make noise when you drive. I guess it's just the properties of a moving vehicle... If it moves, it vibrates, if it vibrates, it makes noise.

Firstly, my comments on this post were merely to find out if other's have similar experiences with new Subarus' and I'm not whining.

I never sold either the Jetta or R32 because of rattles, I'm not nuts or a millionaire. The Jetta was nice but I wanted AWD because of a new job with a 77 mile round trip commute and winters here can be brutal. Then I got the R32 because it was a fun car but in the last 6 months I need 4-doors again for family reasons.

I guess if you cry and whine loud enough inside your Subaru then you won't hear all those rattles. Wait, I think you're right- I'd sell that POS Subaru and go back to that excellent piece of German Engineering: the Volkswagon. Have fun and buh-bye.

picture.php?albumid=371&pictureid=2035

You know you should try and act your age and not your shoe size you.

This forum is for people to share information, ideas and opinions. Obviously not everyone will agree with everyone else's ideas and opinions. You seem to be one of those immature/blinded individuals that probably could not comprehend that anything other than the brand they love (in this case Subaru) could ever be good or worth while. Everyone else here has contributed something useful to my statement but you. What a wanker! :rolleyes:

Archived