LegacyGT.com

Would you try to get the TOB replaced under warranty if it...

JoeFromPA

Hey all,

28.3k miles now. I get TOB noise every morning now, for progressively longer, and getting progressively louder.

At about 18-22k, I started to notice it when backing out of my parking spot in the morning after some heavy rain. It went away within 30 seconds and only seemed to occur during heavy rain.

As time went on, I started to notice it each time I backed out. Only while the clutch was either dis-engaged (i.e. pedal down) or partially engaged (i.e. slipping).

It continued to go away by the time i hit my developments speed bump, about 200 feet from my house. Then it was the stop sign (500 feet).

Now it seems to linger for about 2 minutes, each time I'm depressing the clutch. Even on 90 degree dry days.

It always goes away after about 2 minutes and maybe 20 clutch operations.

That being said, it's also gotten louder. It's alot more throbbing now.

So I've got ~7k left on my wear-item warranty where they should give me zero crap for anything that's distinctly failed.

But I'm fairly concerned about it failing.

But let me be clear: I can't drive to the dealer and show them this problem (yet, maybe it'll get alot worse). It won't appear. And they probably will say "not able to duplicate" if I leave it overnight with them.

So I'm wondering, what should I do?

Ideally, I'd find a dealer willing to replace it and I'd drop the money to put in a new clutch (maybe even an ACT HD) while I was in there, since I don't need a single-mass flywheel on the 08.

Joe

P.s. I don't personally ever hold down the pedal when not needed, and since this is my wife's daily driver I've watched her drive. Totally reasonable pedal usage with her too. Neither of us are abusing the TOB.

What kind of TOB oil do you use and what is the change interval? :hide:

Seriously - Although that noise is fairly common, I would take it to the dealer. They will want to keep it overnight so that they can try it when the car is totally cold. Then they claim it is normal and they all do it :lol: but at least you will have made a record of it when the TOB self destructs.

Fair enough

I've got a number of things I'm going to need the dealer to take care of within the next 3 months, so an overnight stay is not unreasonable. Including:

1. Wheels are corroding out from the center caps

2. Door sills are corroding

3. Gas cap strap broke

4. TOB is whining progressively louder

I thought about being a total jerk and starting the car and putting a brick on the clutch pedal until I can hear the TOB from inside my house, but that's not the way I work.

Well, at least the re92s are dead reliable. :)

Joe

P.s. I lubricate my TOB with good ol' fashioned spit. And Marvel Mystery Oil.

Archived