LegacyGT.com

Tire is deflated every morning....need ideas.

SpawnGT

Hey guys i need some ideas or a push in the right direction.

Every morning (or at least every other morning) when i get to my car, my rear driver side tire is deflated (and i mean like anywhere between 7 and 13 Psi according to those Hess Automatic Electronic Air Pumps). Now i have taken it to my tire guy and he said that when he submerged it that there was no air leaking out anywhere from what he could see. Also its not some vengeful ex-gf becuase i park the car in a different town every other night (aka Mondays tuesdays and Fridays its at my house, wednesday thursday and saturday its at my Gf's house)

any clues? Its not a broken rim becuase i just finished a whole heap of drama with my front driver side rim being cracked in 3 places and yes they were Rota's

1. Take the wheel off the car

2. Inflate tyre to 35 psi

3. Take soapy water and spray it around tyre and wheel

4. The place you see bubbles coming from is the source of the leak

The tire guy i use did that and it was a no go.

I assume you can't find any objects embedded in the tire, right? I would have it demounted and the wheel checked for corrosion (cleaned if need be) and a new stem installed. If it is leaking that fast, I agree with PhilT, you should see bubbles.
It is still ugly.

You are losing a LOT of air in the situation you are describing.

Finding leaks is not always easy. Using the procedure as Phil described it should uncover the leak.

If your current tire guy can't find the leak find a new tire guy .....

Good luck.

hahaha...No i havnt caught the ex-gf in the act yet. but after much deliberating i took it back to my tire guy, took the rim off, and sprayed the hell out of it, only to find the smallest crack on the inside lip of the rim. now its time to figure what to do...buy another replacement rim for 225, or just change all of them out for some cheap drag rims.

I"ve got a set of drag rims on mine. they are ok. look good, but I've got 1 bent rim that's preventing me from rotating my tires. have to get it fixed.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

yea, the crack is on the order of 3-4mm in length, and barly wide enough to really allow a visible air bubble from when soapy water is applied onto it.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k142/thepreludedude/DSC07744.jpg

The following picture shows an example of where the crack is, although its not my rim (or my rim-crack either). My crack is pretty much the size of the little crack closest to the tire, but does not extend down into the middle of the rim like the picture shows.

hahaha...No i havnt caught the ex-gf in the act yet. but after much deliberating i took it back to my tire guy, took the rim off, and sprayed the hell out of it, only to find the smallest crack on the inside lip of the rim. now its time to figure what to do...buy another replacement rim for 225, or just change all of them out for some cheap drag rims.

No....i went back, and we did an even more meticulous investigation, and then found it.

OMG!! No!

You can't fix that wheel. It's trash. You could weld it, but the act of welding it could create stress fractures somewhere else. It probably already has other stress fractures in it.... it's already cracked!

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived