LegacyGT.com

Offset Explanation - Laymans terms

kmfuse87

What is offset and why is +44 unacceptable? Can anyone point me to a thread that explains this? I have been searching but have come up empty on the actual explanation of what offset is. I have all sorts of suggestions from the stickies and other threads but no layman's explanation. Please help.

:confused:

Offset

Note that positive offset is the how far inboard (toward the center of the car) the centerline of the wheel is from the mounting face. Therefore, smaller positive offsets make the wheel stick out farther. +44 is about as low as you want to go on Subarus, unless you're talking about pretty wide wheels. And then the outside face of the wheel will be sticking out. HPH

0 Offset = center of rim is where the hub is; so an 8" (203mm) wheel will have 4" (101.3mm) backspace & 4" (101.5mm) of front space, 7" rim will have 3.5" per side....yada yada yada

"+" Offset = backspacing increases or the wheel moves inward relative to the center. With +44 offset, an 8" rim will have a backspace of 247mm (203+44) and a front space of 159 (203-44)

"-" Offset = backspace decreases or the wheel moves outward. Calculation is reverse of above.

Hope that is layman enough.

Just read a good note about it. Now i understand.

The only issue with offset is to be sure the wheel isn't rubbing on the inner fender lining. Am i correct? Or are there other mechanical issues that i am not thinking of?

You also have to worry about fender clearance when your suspension compresses and the clearance with the tire to the strut perch. You will also have to worry about clearances when turning the wheel. This is not necessarily for the +44 offset, but just in terms of the offset and how it can affect other things

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

You also have to worry about fender clearance when your suspension compresses and the clearance with the tire to the strut perch. You will also have to worry about clearances when turning the wheel. This is not necessarily for the +44 offset, but just in terms of the offset and how it can affect other things

Thanks, nice bumper by the way. Was stalking it in the JDM thread.

So i think i might pull the trigger on the Rota Gravel's. I don't know when, but they are definitely going to be my summer wheel of choice.

Archived