LegacyGT.com

New info on 06' impreza

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all know what this means, don't you?

We all (legacy owners, not me yet, but by the time this happens, I hope to be in the game...) get to reap the whirlwind of performance aftermarket parts that will be generated by the 2.5 WRX aftermarket.

Everybody who trades a bugeye WRX, or a newer one with the 2.0 turbo motor in for a "new and improved 2.5 liter turbo" will want to hop it up. Bigger turbos, exhausts, intakes, cams, fuel injectors and rails, this, that, the other thing, the kitchen sink, and then some.

We're starting to see it come out for the STi and Legacy 2.5 Turbo. A flood of new 2.5 Turbo WRXs in the hands of the import tuner crowd will generate enough demand to hopefully hit critical mass, and have some really high quality (and some junk, conversely) parts, and hopefully some innovative parts coming to market, that would otherwise would not have been feasible to build, or even develop in the first place.

Plus hopefully the market segment size might get big enough to make some mods cheaper through higher volume sales.

Legacy GT modders should be jumping for joy at this. WRX modders are probably quite happy with getting the Legacy/OBXT/FXT 240-250hp engine to play with, without having to shell out for an expensive STi.

Also, hopefully this will raise the performance "floor" for Subaru models, and if the performance sells, the WRX STi, and hopefully a Legacy STi will be better (or extant) for it.

It also renders our Legacy GT obsolete in terms of performance, when compared to the other cars in the Subaru stable. We were happy to get the STi engine...and happy that stock for stock the GT was faster than the WRX. Now why get internal competition ? It doesn"t make sense...

And yeah...I know the two cars are in 2 different market segments: midsize vs. compact...but still...

I agree.

One of the REALLY nice things about the LGT was that not only did it

offer the luxury and amenities the WRX so woefully lacks, but the LGT is

faster stock for stock.

Giving the WRX the 2.5 turbo and rating it at 230 hp and probably 230 ish

torque, means it will basically perform EXACTLY the same as the LGT.

I'm guessing they are either using the Forester XT's turbo but rating it correctly

in the WRX 2.5T, or they are using the Legacy GT's turbo, but giving

it like 1-2 psi less boost.

Obviously this is only for the North American market, where rally racing is not

a blip on anybodies radar. Because they need to keep a 2.0 engine for

rally requirements.

Either way, I don't really get it.

Why not just do some upgrades/mods to the 2.0 T WRX netting it say

235 hp and a bit more torque.

That would put it very close in performance to the LGT, but still gives the LGT

the exclusivity of having the bigger, more torque rich engine.

And really, what would be the point in spending $8-9K more for the STI then, when

for a few grand in mods, the regular WRX 2.5T would run with it.

Maybe these rumors of more power for the 2006 LGT hold some water now.

Maybe these rumors of more power for the 2006 LGT hold some water now.

Well, the good news is that the 2006 sheet posted above still shows the LGT with a 2.5 Turbo motor. So, any increase in power would be from bolt-ons or software, which should be easy enough to replicate through our dealer friends at SoD or Mastro :D

I only see that as good for those interested in modifying the Legacy. I'd still have bought the Legacy over the WRX. The interior is still not something acceptable to me. Good for Subaru though giving it a boost.

Song of Post- Bob Marley- Lively Up Yourself

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

It also renders our Legacy GT obsolete in terms of performance, when compared to the other cars in the Subaru stable. We were happy to get the STi engine...and happy that stock for stock the GT was faster than the WRX. Now why get internal competition ? It doesn"t make sense...

And yeah...I know the two cars are in 2 different market segments: midsize vs. compact...but still...

I don't know why you are getting your panties in a bunch over this, just becuae the WRX will be faster. Do you think BMW worries that the M3 is faster then the M5, no becuase they know the cars appeal to different buyers. People serious about the Legacy would not be looking at the WRX, its just not in the same class (obviously) The interior is not that great and it squeaks and groans like an economy car that it is. So be happy that the mod market will only open up for the Legacy and if you really want that edge back go to a little tweaking and quit the bitching.

Song of Post- The Doors- Alabama Song

I see your penchant for OT posts is as big as mine :D

Actually, it's not :offtopic: I was referring to the fact that both cars now will have 2.5L motors and trying to be funny about it. Geez....if I have to explain it to ya.... :lol:

I don't know why you are getting your panties in a bunch over this, just becuae the WRX will be faster. Do you think BMW worries that the M3 is faster then the M5, no becuase they know the cars appeal to different buyers. People serious about the Legacy would not be looking at the WRX, its just not in the same class (obviously) The interior is not that great and it squeaks and groans like an economy car that it is. So be happy that the mod market will only open up for the Legacy and if you really want that edge back go to a little tweaking and quit the bitching.

my vote goes to him. He got it on the money. The rex interior does squeak and rattle. And its smaller.

And to 05LegacyGT330Ci who said, the M3 is faster than the M5....it's not (the M5 traps 2-3 mph faster in the 1/4 with .2-.3 quicker ET's, and probably extents that lead in a big way from there on up).

And, how many people do you think would buy M5's if the M3 had the exact same

engine just detuned by 8%, had only 5% more space, but cost 12-13% more).

Anyway, whatever Subaru wants to do.

They're making their two compact "entry" level based cars faster than

there two flagship cars.

And with a 2.5T WRX they are making the Forester XT unnecessary and obsolete.

If Subaru needs ANYTHING to make a bigger splash in the crucial North American market, it's more variety, not less. It leaves them with basically ONE engine for all

their North American cars. And the only way to get a 6 cylinder is to buy their

most expensive station wagons.

guys lets not forget only a few years ago that the Impreza(2.5RS), Forester and the Legacy shared the same engine and drivetrain! It didn't deter people from buying a Legacy GT then eventhough the 2.5RS was faster and outhandled it. Different strokes for different folks.

I won't seeing Subaru retain the same engine with the LGT. But should add more features to distant it from the 2.5T WRX like xenons, 6spd and NAV (which I don't care).

And to 05LegacyGT330Ci who said, the M3 is faster than the M5....it's not (the M5 traps 2-3 mph faster in the 1/4 with .2-.3 quicker ET's, and probably extents that lead in a big way from there on up).

And, how many people do you think would buy M5's if the M3 had the exact same

engine just detuned by 8%, had only 5% more space, but cost 12-13% more).

Well people usually don't care about the 1/4 but more about the 0-60 which is what manufactors brag about, and in that category the M3 was/is faster then the M5. Certainly the new M5 will be different but no reason to argue. The point is that beucae the WRX is goign to be faster again should not deter any buyers of the Legacy who were looking at the Legacy to begin with, its a totally different car.

Song of Post- The Doors- Love Me Two Times

And with a 2.5T WRX they are making the Forester XT unnecessary and obsolete.

Opinion or fact? The FXT has more off-road capability compared to the WRX wagon in the same way an LGT vs OBXT comparison shapes up. Think of the FXT as the OBXT's raucous little brother. Different strokes.....

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/child-stars/gary-coleman/arnoldjethro.jpg

Guest *Jedimaster*

No need for the FXT?

Whatchu talking about Willis?

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/child-stars/gary-coleman/arnoldjethro.jpg

Kinda figured this would happen...."omfg teh WRX will be fastAr?!!! I should have waited for the new WRX instead of this Legacy" :lol:

I still feel the new Legacy is as good (if not a better) of car to setup for tarmac. I guess being more of a suspension junky, suspension geomerty and setup matter more to me (rear multilink anyone?).

So what happens to the STi now ? It doesn"t make sense to have to identical engines in the same body/ chassis, albeit tuned differently ? So, if this is true...about the 2.5L DOHC turbo WRX, this will render both the Legacy and the STi "obsolete" in terms of performance. In house competition...and marketing just like the GM brands: Chevrolet Impala/ Buick Regal/Pontiac Grand Prix/Boneville/Olds Alero etc. Same shit under a different name.

What would make more sense is to offer the 2.0 L turbo in the Legacy as a step between the souped up GT and the entry level Legacy -i.

Also...the Impreza should get the 2.5 L NA as another optional engine...since the Impreza line already has a 2.0 L turbo and a 2.5 L turbo.

That"d be a better strategy...IMO. And of course offer eventually the 3L DOHC turbo as an upgrade to the STi package in future LGT/OBXT. These are midsize cars...they need a bigger engine...

Archived