LegacyGT.com

Does SOA read the forums?

subaduba

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just rescued one from the california predecessor to Cash 4 Clunkers, for 1000$ cash, plus ~300 for transit from Cali, and licensing, and such.

Even nice ones, if you can find them, are only a few grand. Nice for a car that stickered over $30K when they were new, ~15 years ago.

Unfortunately that high-ish price was also part of it's limited appeal. If it had shared more components with other Subarus, perhaps had there been a sedan pair, it could have amortized it's costs a bit better.

But it is quite a nice Grand Touring Coupe.

good idea. if i had the room to store one i'd seriously consider getting one. i looked around and there are quite a few of them around the area... not many manuals though.

how did you go about rescuing one doomed to C4C? i thought that wasn't possible?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

good idea. if i had the room to store one i'd seriously consider getting one. i looked around and there are quite a few of them around the area... not many manuals though.

how did you go about rescuing one doomed to C4C? i thought that wasn't possible?

+1. Unless you paid a total of $4500 for it. Otherwise the dealership would take a loss for it. Because if they resell it, they can't get any money for it from uncle sam.

I said a california PREDECESSOR program to C4C.

The car had/has a 17 year old catalytic converter, and 106k miles on the clock. (about 109k, driven from San Fran to Iowa, and many days since.)

It started to fail the cold idle catalyst efficiency test. Ran fine... but the cat required a few minutes to warm up. Once warm, it passed fine.

The wonderful state of california says that if it fails at all, it ALL fails. And cannot be registered for road use until it is fixed.

The wonderful state of california ALSO says that they will pay $1000 to "retire" cars in that condition. Or at least they were, until July 1st, when they ***RAN OUT OF MONEY.***

So, the previous owner thought something like "well, $500 out to get the car back on the road, or $1000 in my pocket to figure something else out...", and "I have to do it before July 1st, so Friday June 26th is the day."

Oh, and BTW... when they say "retire", they mean take it to the junk yard, and the junk yard cuts you a check, while the car is ushered DIRECTLY to a crusher, engine and all, not salvaged, not repaired and re-sold.

Kinda reminds you of C4C, where cars were grenaded with Sodium Silicate, before the government even finalized approval of the deals...

So... instead of the state of california paying the previous owner 1000$, I DID. I bought it 36 hours before the original owner was intending to sign over the car to it's death.

And now I have a nice daily driver, that is still a very viable car, still runs like a top, and is still one of less than 15,000 original cars, and that number is getting lower every day, due to accidents, and the automobile's new vicious predator, the government.

The car has some issues, it has been repaired after being damaged, and the repair was shoddy. It has sun-damaged seat leather, and some flaking clear-coat, and some 17-year old baked and brittle wiring under the hood, and some tires that are almost done.

But even with that, the car is pretty quick, with the fantastic EG33 engine.

It is smoother and quieter than my Legacy EVER has been, and cruises effortlessly, and gets several more miles per gallon on highway cruise than my Legacy, at almost 1000 fewer RPMs.

Even in it's less than pristine condition, I enjoy this car, as I also enjoy my Legacy. But the SVX is making me REALLY want a pristine SVX, or a donor that has not been wrecked, to BUILD a pristine SVX.

(BTW, I would put a Legacy GT Spec B 6MT and rear torsen diff in it... Those who own converted manual-gearbox SVXs, without the soft-shifting 4EAT, say that the car is about as close to perfect as Subaru has never built. Not even brand new G37s come equipped with both AWD and gearboxes, not even aftermarket...)

The windows are either love-em, or hate-em. I love 'em, and flush mounted glass over the window frame, and window-in-a-window is the ONLY way to do framed windows.

It fits.

It takes a bit more work than just a couple hours... but with a smaller diameter brake booster, a WRX clutch master cylinder and pedal assembly, a modified transmission brace, and manual shifter...

The diff has to incorporate a bit of the SVX's diff casing, to mount to the rear subframe, and I don't remember if the 6MT is the same as the auto, and the 5MT is different, or vice versa, but one of the options requires a custom length driveshaft.

But it does fit, and once installed, it does work, and reportedly quite well.

Someday when I can afford it, I would really like to pursue that.... in a nice straight, undamaged, preferably non-rusted chassis.

And painted WR Blue, with a black roof, and trunk top, like several of the SVX factory colors, like white, claret, and silver, which all had black tops.

I wouldn't mind that subaru in MY garage.

but I have no more money right now. Silver was a 1992 only color, and a rare color even that year...

Plus a good manual gearbox conversion, and less than 60,000 miles... THAT is a good SVX, right there.

A quick browse of new listings on SVX World Network, and I didn't see it listed there, so I posted it.

Hope this goes to someone who will take good care of it.

After buying my Legacy in Burlington VT, I don't think my wife is up for another trip to bring that one home.

Just a couple of changes to be my ideal SVX... change that silver to WR Blue (which Silver would make a nice base-coat for...) and change the wheels to BBS CO 17"s, and a leather or alcantara shift boot, instead of the accordion rubber boot around the shifter there... Maybe change the 5MT to be a 6MT, if I were building up a car... but that is pretty darn close.

I went in to test drive an Impreza...liked it ok, but it wasn't everything I hoped...Saw a 2010 Legacy and asked to test drive an 09 since incentives applied...having never paid attention to a Legacy before, I have to admit...the 2010 peaked my interest and test driving the 09 sold me. Looking at them side by side, the 09 does look better...a little sportier...a little sleeker. But...as a former Chevrolet and Toyota Camry (I liked my 97 a whole lot more than I like the newer models) owner, the '10 hooked me initially before the '09 reeled me in. I guess I've been an enthusiast for about three days...and if I hadn't looked at that 2010 Legacy, I'd probably be in a Camry right now.

I got the 09, but wouldn't have even thought about it had I not started checking out the 10 first.

That's the testimony to the new design! Makes the old one sell well!

That's the testimony to the new design! Makes the old one sell well!

:lol: I didn't mind the way the new one looked, but am partial to the one I got...getting about 5 grand knocked off the sticker price helped too. I can see why people who have older models don't like the changes, but I also can see how the newer model could attract buyers. There's no way I could have found a Camry that had the same options for the same price.

Guest heightsgtltd
:lol: I didn't mind the way the new one looked, but am partial to the one I got...getting about 5 grand knocked off the sticker price helped too. I can see why people who have older models don't like the changes, but I also can see how the newer model could attract buyers. There's no way I could have found a Camry that had the same options for the same price.

So that's what's good about the 2010. Thanks for letting me know

:lol:

It's been confirmed that they read this forum. It's also been proven by the 2010 redesign that they don't listen to anything said on here :lol:

I would agree....

I looked at the 2010s.. Then said to my wife:

"How the **** do you make someone with 2 Legacy GTs in the Driveway Not want to buy a new one???"

Answer: JUST LOOK AT THE 2010s...:nono:

Archived