LegacyGT.com

Clutch was slipping, now transmissions dead...

Owentt

My clutch had been slipping when I accelerated moderately hard in any gear. One night about a month ago I was driving home, and I guess it completely failed. The clutch would not disengage, the peddle would not come back up. The car jerked and ground to a halt.

Today I took it to the dealer expecting to have to replace the clutch and fly. But after 5 hours of diagnoses the called and said my transmission is dead with pieces of metal in it etc...

Kind of at a loss as to what to do at this point. They quoted me something like $5600 for clutch and new transmission. The car has 46824 miles on it 2005 legacy gt limited and I think it WAS worth $13,000.

Should I sell the car for what I can get for it? I told the dealer I need time to think about it. Cannot afford repairs out of pocket like that :icon_cry:

Thanks

sad_legacy.JPG.53040da25706495fe4c1ae04354149bb.JPG

unless they can prove it was your fault...

Powertrain Limited Warranty

Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:*

Engine block and all internal parts

Cylinder heads and valve train

Oil pump, oil pan

Timing belts or gears and covers

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake manifold

Oil seals and gaskets

Turbocharger Assembly

Transaxle case and internal parts

Transaxle seals and gaskets

Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)**

Torque converter

Electronic transmission control unit

Transaxle seals and gaskets

Propeller shaft

Wheel bearings

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I dont know where you people find such rape dealerships. When i blew up my 3rd gear on the highway it took me all of five minutes(why it takes them 5 hours is retarded) to realize it was screwed. All they have to do is drain the fluid, if there are massive chunks of metal its time to replace. Find a used transmission from a totalled lgt. That's what i did. I found one with 40k miles for $900 bucks and installed it in my garage. GL.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I also have the 4 Star Plus warranty from warrantysolutions.com GE

I am stock. I had a aftermarket intake that I removed before getting my car towed to the dealer. One of the things I wanted them to do was install the stock air box which I had all the parts for.

The dealer never asked me if I had any warranty.

They are giving me a few days to decide what to do, and are not going to charge me storage fees for my car.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try the warranty method. Its all I got to go on.

When i blew up my 3rd gear on the highway it took me all of five minutes(why it takes them 5 hours is retarded) to realize it was screwed.

Maybe because his car isn't the only one they are working on that day and it took 5 hours to work in their waiting appointments, and other work that may have been before his. That is a thought.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

The insurance guy from warrantysolutions.com GE came to the dealership and determined that the trans was damaged from the clutch that had been so worn that I should of known and gotten it repaired. So pretty much my fault and they are not giving me any help. Should I bother trying the Powertrain Limited Warranty?

The insurance guy from warrantysolutions.com GE came to the dealership and determined that the trans was damaged from the clutch that had been so worn that I should of known and gotten it repaired. So pretty much my fault and they are not giving me any help. Should I bother trying the Powertrain Limited Warranty?

That is a load of crap!! a worn clutch will put less stress on the trans.

Who/what number should I call at SOA? My argument is that the clutch went, but that took out the transmission which you should cover? I am not a car expert (i wish) so I feel like this has been the worst experience I've had with a car. I hope I don't end up having to sell it as parts. So sad.

Nothing to do with the clutch... All they need to know is that the transmission blew and that the dealership is arguing about covering it, even though its under warranty. If they want to throw in the clutch argument, then have them prove that the clutch caused the transmission to blow, which it most definitely did not... The clutch is a completely separate assembly from the transmission, yes they work together, but if the clutch goes, it doesnt start throwing metal bits into the transmission, its in a separate area all by itself.

So, if the car is stock, your under warranty (60k powertrain / 5 year), then they need to pay for this.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

If I had any luck, the warrantysolutions.com GE guy would of examined the car and covered it like they should of. Or at least give me back the thousand plus I paid extra to get the warranty.

Now I have a car with no clutch transmission, and I still owe money to the bank on it. What can I do? Sell it and get a few thousand to go to the bank and just pay the rest off. Damn, talk about when it rains it pours. Just can't seem to catch a break.

Dude, if your transmission bit it it should be covered under warranty. Threaten to take them to court for bad faith and breach of contract.

Let me be clear: if the clutch fails, all your car will do is either:

A. Stall

B. Not go into gear

If your transmission failed, then your TRANSMISSION FAILED.

Don't go silently into the long dark night.

Joe

Now I have a car with no clutch transmission, and I still owe money to the bank on it. What can I do? Sell it and get a few thousand to go to the bank and just pay the rest off. Damn, talk about when it rains it pours. Just can't seem to catch a break.

Dude, listen to everyone here. A bad clutch cannot cause a transmission failure. You will need to grow some balls and bitch to SOA until they do something about it.

You can either fight, or walk away with your tail between your legs. If what you are telling us is correct, you can get this covered under Subaru warranty. Do you understand?

It sounds like your t-out bearing grenaded and took the transmission with it. Fairly common on these cars, there have been multiple reports of this happening on the forums. It doesn't really have anything to do with the clutch going, it happended to people out of blue without any clutch problems.

I believe people had SOA cover this, although I am not sure if it's clear cut case, since clutch which probably means T-out bearing as well are covered only under basic warranty (3y/36k). Ask them nicely and they may do their "goodwill bullshit" and cover it in full or in part.

Anyway you need to fight this. What Boston stealership is trying to shaft you? Post the dealer name. Although they all suck balls in my experience.

Archived