LegacyGT.com

Momo Subaru Knobb

BLKGT5

Just purchased a Momo Subaru shifting knob and wow does it make a difference! The stock knob just wasn't desgined correctly, this new one makes shifting so much easier and feels a whole lot better!

I grabbed this from the internet so it's not a legacy compared knob but close enough.

http://www.scoobymods.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2686&d=1087434217

I've seen/held about 3-4 shift knobs for the LGT:

1. Stock

2. Momo

3. Newest STI 5mt knob (aluminum + leather)

4. Cobb w/ Aluminum Ring...

Maybe one other.

The stock is quite tall but, IMHO, well shaped. The Momo is just a very nice design at a reasonable price point (comparatively speaking) and, for those who want a touch of flair, is a nice option. It's also, IIRC, about .75" shorter than stock.

The Cobb one (http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4452) was very similar to the Momo in weight and shape.

The Subaru STI one (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1001/STi-Shifter-Knob/Detail) was my favorite and of course is the most expensive. Pictures do not do it justice. It makes the Momo knob look like playskool quality. It's as much smaller than the Momo as the Momo is from stock. It's very nicely weighted feeling, but it's hard to tell if the weighted feel is just from the fact that it's so compact. If you are familiar with a 2006+ Civic SI shift knob, it's similar to that but maybe a bit larger feeling (might be too small for some people).

Much like I find it important to have a steering wheel that feels "right", I feel the same way about the shift knob (and seats for that matter). I don't feel like dropping the money right now, but there's alot of great choices out there for people looking for a different feel when their right hand drops...

Joe

Not to thread jack, but how much lower does it sit than the stock knob?

I've been looking at another knob and was debating between the three that Joe mentioned. I'd prefer the Cobb because the black goes better with the interior as opposed to the silver. I specifically want one that sits LOW, though.

Any ideas?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Not to thread jack, but how much lower does it sit than the stock knob?

I've been looking at another knob and was debating between the three that Joe mentioned. I'd prefer the Cobb because the black goes better with the interior as opposed to the silver. I specifically want one that sits LOW, though.

Any ideas?

I can't comment on other knobs, but to me the Momo does seem to sit lower to me since the shaft goes in deeper. I also use a Cobb STS for more adjustment. I can now shift with my hand covering the knob instead of the pistol grip style shifting. If the Momo is ten times better to me, I wonder how the STI 5-speed is. Either way I'm happy for now and I'm not switching anytime soon without testing it first hand. Yes pun, and no dirty jokes plz ;)

IIRC, Momo sits ~.75" lower than stock. STI knob is probably .75" lower than Momo.

For people who don't really want notchier shifting or shorter shift throws, just want a shorter height of their shifter, you can probably reach your desires with the right shift knob.

According to Casopolis' signature, he's coming out with some new Delrin Shift Knobs in late August. His knobs were a long-time favorite among the forum crowd, but he had stopped making them for ~1-2 years.

BTW, here's a link to Casopolis' shift knob (note: not currently being produced). Look at the pictures of his knob vs. the Momo knob.

http://www.casopolis.com/products/Subaru/

Also note how the Momo knob is smaller than stock.

The STI knob is about the same size as the Casopolis knob, based upon my feeling the STI knob in person and seeing pictures of the Casopolis knob.

Thanks Joe I'll keep an eye out, the further drop in height with the Caspolis knob is pretty interesting! I too went from the stock to the Momo knob and was pretty happy with the different weighting and also the appearance (I wanted that exact Momo shiftknob even since before I got my license over 10 years ago!)

Then I installed an AVO adjustable STS and it is now really really good. It also dropped the height by around 0.75 to 1.0". I can see what you mean though re the STI knob it looks very nicely designed but from what I recall was about $120AUD more than the Momo one (about $90USD) and I couldn't justify it at the time because I thought the only difference was the shape and STI emblem.

Perhaps when Casopolis is back in production I will look at his work as I would love to drop another 0.75".

Archived