LegacyGT.com

Am i the only one?

Drive a 2k GT...decided i didn't like the lights so i changed all the bulbs to sylvania silverstar ultras but they don't seem to last at all. I've replaced every light at least 4x since i first went to the silverstars (year ago) anybody else have this issue / any ideas on what to do short of switching to HID kit?

I had a 2000 Outback that had similar issues. Check the wiring that connects to the headlight bulbs. The wires were discolored from heat and the plastic electrical connector that goes to the bulb was coming apart / cooked. I replaced the small harness and had no further issues with bulbs burning out.

Subaru sells the small wiring harness / electrical connector, so it can be replaced easily if that's the issue. It's plug and play since the small wiring harness has the factory connectors already on it. Look into that and let me know if you have any other questions.

I had a 2000 Outback that had similar issues. Check the wiring that connects to the headlight bulbs. The wires were discolored from heat and the plastic electrical connector that goes to the bulb was coming apart / cooked. I replaced the small harness and had no further issues with bulbs burning out.

Subaru sells the small wiring harness / electrical connector, so it can be replaced easily if that's the issue. It's plug and play since the small wiring harness has the factory connectors already on it. Look into that and let me know if you have any other questions.

Yeah i've been told that before, everything's still clean, no discoloration or anything so i don't think it's that

OSRAM owns Sylvania, but people should know that OSRAM silverstars and sylvania silverstars are NOT the same bulb. Anything and everything that carries the OSRAM badge is the superior product of the two.

The OSRAMs goin to come out any brighter/whiter than the Sylvianas? Kinda the idea im going for, trying to get that clean white/blueish light look without dishing out for an HID kit

What type of bulbs does your car take? It might be worthwhile to check candlepower.com, they have some great bulbs that should last a while.

Thanks i'll check that out

The OSRAMs goin to come out any brighter/whiter than the Sylvianas? Kinda the idea im going for, trying to get that clean white/blueish light look without dishing out for an HID kit

just dish out the money for HID's. sylvianas are what about 40 bucks a pair you went through 4 sets already. HID's would have paid for themselves by now. hids are about 100-200 a set. just my .02

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

just dish out the money for HID's. sylvianas are what about 40 bucks a pair you went through 4 sets already. HID's would have paid for themselves by now. hids are about 100-200 a set. just my .02

edit-your not the only one that had them burn out couple times. myself twice on my 05 with sylvianas

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Projectors handle HIDs a bit better but they are still halogen-designed. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, it's just a fact that every person that is considering going HIDs should know. I didn't and I regretted it later. I hated the beam spread and pattern and yanked my kit two weeks later.

Haha i actually only paid for the lights once, just keep the receipts (one for driving, lows, highs, fogs) and when one blows out, take it back and they replace it and give me a new receipt. one year warranty on the lights each time

lol the more money i can save the better off i am at this point

Put OEM bulbs back in and be done with it. Money saved.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make sure you change out both bulbs when 1 blows. Having 2 bulbs in your headlights that are very different in age will create an un-even current draw and just blow out bulbs even faster.

Always change both at the same time.

Archived