LegacyGT.com

Car got hit time for upgrades

I got sandwiched at a stoplight yesterday, and now need new front and rear bumpers. I was thinking of getting a JDM bumper for the front anyway, so is there a way I can get this done by the insurance co.? This is my first time in an accident so I don't know what I can and can't do. The person who hit me insuracne co. said for me to take the car to a shop so the can send an estimator to look over the damage. Can someone help me make the best out of a bad situation.

jdm bumper costs few hundreds more than usdm one. i'd say try to get as much from them as possible and then pay the difference for the jdm. man you are gonna be the first member with the jdm!

This Space For Rent

Man I spent the entire previous day installing my HIDs, front lip, and blackout mod for the headlights. Car was looking real good too. I guess God doesent like the USDM bumpers either. :) Thanks God, your my hommie. Now I need to find a shop in LA. Any suggestions?

Damn Bayano, sorry to hear about the accident. Good that you ok. As for swapping to the JDm parts, you'll have to find a "cooperative" body shop. You definately want to tell them what you want to do and see if they will play ball. From there, you'll probably need to find a source for the JDM parts and see if they want you to order them, or have them take care of it. If you negotiate well, I'd imagine that they might eat the additional cost of the JDM parts over the USDM parts.

Thanks Boost. Glad I did not install the new sports grille or my exhaust yet. I guess I'll look around for shops to bargain with. Won't hurt to try right? For now I guess I have to drive the 86' around trying to drift every corner and on ramp. ;) I know I can find a shop somewhere. I have good lawyer to so I am sure I will be taken care of, you know how finicky us Olympians can be. If anyone knows any shops in the LA area pm me.

Thanks

piece

my subey shop is right next door to a great body shop. Call dan and see if he can source something for you for a good price. he's pretty deeply connected, so just find a front bumper that you like and he'll see what he can do. He's in torrence and the body shop is litterally the stall next to it. To stop by, take the 405 south, to crenshaw, make a right, then a left on 190'th street, then right on van ness. take that for the one looong block, then as you pass through del amo, get in the left lane and take the left into the garage area. go to the end and say hi! ill be there tomorrow, just so ya know.

Panamajack,

I am the same boat as you. My wife mistake the brake for the gas and smashed my bumper, grill and hood. I was looking all around for the JDM bumper, but all I came up with is one place for a JDM bumper for $700-800. The JDM grill is $335. So I am staying with the USD bumper for $229 and doing my own customizing to the grill. I am going to post pictures when I am done. It is going to be something like the Euro grill.

The insurance company owes you money, not the body shop. They pay you the repair costs and you pay the body shop, adding whatever is necessary to use JDM parts instead.

They always try to make you think the check has to go to the body shop but YOU are the insured, YOU are the one who experienced the loss, so YOU are the one to get paid. If you wanted to keep the car damaged and buy hamburgers with the check, it's up to you.

I am not sure if it is that simple, when the car is collateral for it's own borrowed price. Hence why it is called a "secured" loan. It is secured by the legal right for the bank to repo the car and re-sell it to try and get their money if you can't be relied on to pay it back to them.

With the bank having legal interest in the car, and having a lean on the vehicle, it needs to be restored to it's pre-accident state (you might be able to finagle mods, but you can't just leave it damaged and worth less resale value) so that the bank doesn't lose collateral value. If the car isn't leveraged, then John M's statements would be right.

The body shop has no interest in the vehicle other than competing for your business on the open market.

That looks hawt.

It is a complete M5 ripoff. Strangely, it looks better on the Legacy than on the BMW.

The angles of the headlights, the 6 sided grille (should be the JDM sport mesh grille, though...) and just the lean proportions in general just make that bumper work so well. Now, if they would replicate the tapered aero side mirrors from the M5, with signals in the lower half, and the angel eye mod discussed in the exterior forums on this site...

ya'd be almost breaking the international copyright/patent laws with copying BMW so much. Thankfully the rest of the lines on the Legacy would keep it from really looking like a Bangle'd BMW. All the cool stuff, none of the weird looking stuff.

Not as big a fan of the tacked on hood scoop, though.

And also, where can I get a legacy in that COLOR!!!

Archived