LegacyGT.com

Fuel Economy Meter is now Inaccurate

My MPG meter is inaccurate without any modificaions. It is usually in the range of 6% to 11% too high compared to the actual mileage. The closest it ever got to accurate was 2.1% high. Once it read 5.6% low, the only time it was ever low.

Is there some way to calibrate these things? Maybe a trim pot on a circuit board or something?

I'm told running injector cleaner will help.

Keep in mind you're filling up methods, and length of nozzle are likely partly to blame. 1-5% accuracy is not bad. Assuming human error is consistently 2%.

• 1 month later...
I'm told running injector cleaner will help.

Keep in mind you're filling up methods, and length of nozzle are likely partly to blame. 1-5% accuracy is not bad. Assuming human error is consistently 2%.

You make some good points. It would also probably be a good idea to fill the tank when it is almost empty, to minimze the significance of small filling errors.

Still, I think that Subaru's measurement techniques may be part of the problem. My OBXT MPG meter is seldom so accurate as 5% and it is always high, as if biased toward reading too high.

On the other hand, my Porsche's MPG meter is usually within 5% of accurate. Also the Porsche readings fall both above or below the actual measurements, as if the meter is attempting to take accurate readings. Looks like Porsche has a better idea. ;)

• 1 month later...
So I failed at RR's stupid captcha, and it won't let me register... I am trying to find the right storageaddress for CAL ID A2WF200N (USDM 06 LGT manual). I didn't understand which SA to choose, so I tried using c6e60 from 'Injector Flow Scaling', but that just makes the correction in the thousands, and that doesn't seem right... Anyone know what is the correct SA to use for this line is?

Dude,... 98 octane (93 equiv USA I believe) at BP was NZ$1.47 a litre when I filled up tonight... never ever seen it that high ever. Absolute madness. Getting close to NZ$145 a tank. F#%k the economy here its a joke

Mine is off about 20 miles each tank. I'm stock except stage1 OTS. It was spot on, but years ago I went to a bigger tire 225/45/17s so I've always attributed the inaccurate mileage to this.

I also attribute it to driving style.

Pre break in - First 1000 miles I never took the car over 62mph Avg about 380-400 miles per tank

Then I went to a larger tire. Drove in "S" mostly. Avg about 340-360

Today - Larger tires, Stg 1, Always in "S#"... Avg 320 per tank combo. Slightly higer if all highway.

Dude,... 98 octane (93 equiv USA I believe) at BP was NZ$1.47 a litre when I filled up tonight... never ever seen it that high ever. Absolute madness. Getting close to NZ$145 a tank. F#%k the economy here its a joke

NZ$2.47? Yeah I filled up in Wanaka last weekend, 95 was $2.52/L, that was a $145 tank... These prices don't help when I'm driving 550km per week to work :mad:

Thanks for the info on the 740s!

I ended up trying the C1428 value, since I figured there wasn't going to be a change from 05 to 06. Now it is reading something like 8.xxx, as opposed to 4358.xxx. Suffice to say, I think that is the correct value to use :lol:

Hopefully we can get that implemented within ECUFlash, and have it read/display correctly on the nav info...

• 2 months later...

Okay, heres the code to add to ecuflash. Just change the address as thats for AZ1G101N. You put this in the xml of ecuid.

<table name="Cluster Display Fuel Consumption Correction" category="Fueling - Injectors" address="C10CC" type="1D" level="2" scaling="clusterfueleffcomp"/>

Then go to the 32bitbase and these:

<scaling name="clusterfueleffcomp" units="Estimated Fuel Efficiency Correction" toexpr="x" frexpr="x" format="%.3f" min="0" max="2" inc="0.1" storagetype="float" endian="big"/>

<table name="Cluster Display Fuel Consumption Correction" category="Fueling - Injectors" type="2D" level="2" scaling="clusterfueleffcomp">

<description>This is the correction applied to the fuel efficiency calculation to account for injector size change. Adjust this value by the same percentage as used for injector scaling. NewCorrection = CurrentCorrection * (NewInjectorScale / OldInjectorScale)</description>

<table type="Static Y Axis" elements="1">

<data>Fuel Efficiency Correction</data>

</table>

</table>

• 2 months later...

Archived