LegacyGT.com

GT LTD 5EAT vs Honda S2000

Do I have a chance if the S2000 (assuming it's not heavily modified) driver knows how to drive it? I am asking this because I kinda raced a modified S2000 (all I can tell is that his exhaust sounds loud) and we were about parallel up to 60MPH, then I let go because of traffic. I got a feeling that he didn't know how to shift.

Edit: outside temp was about 60F, location = Denver, CO, the S2000 is the old 2.0 instead of the new 2.2 "S2200" with more torque and 30 lbs heavier.

This Space For Rent

I had an '03 S2000 in my garage for six months last year while the owner was in Afghanistan. Ummmm.....auto LGT doesn't have a chance unless you catch the S2000 driver loafing in too high a gear.

The gearbox is butter-smooth and you can slam shifts like a race car. The torque doesn't throw you back, but the driveline/tranny is so 'tight' and well geared, there is direct response to throttle inputs. I thought it was quick, even keeping it below the 6500rpm transition to the VTEC profile - but that's where the real power kicks in.

I bet that driver never got into the powerband....if you drive it like a normal car, you never would. You have to drive it like you stole it to get to the power. Feels totally wrong, but that's the way Honda intended it to be driven.

S2000 is 2800lbs, with 50/50 distribution vs. 3400lbs and 60/40 for the LGT 5EAT. Not sure if the F/R makes a difference at all, but since the S2000 is RWD, it might. Technically, it's a mid-engine car too. Front-mid at least.

S2000 does 0-60 in 5.4 (Car and Driver) to 5.8 (MotorTrend) secs. Therefore I'd say in this particular contest the manual LGT is a draw, and the 5EAT would lose. Also, my mom has an S2000 (she's 60!!), I've driven it a lot, and the exhaust is really loud from 6000 to 9000 rpm, so maybe this was stock.

I really doubt you have much of a chance with an auto.

I had a small encounter with one a couple weeks ago. I was ahead by 1/2 car only because of my launch. I put it on him right off the start and then we stayed neck and neck. I mean it too. I shifted he gained a little, then i hit boost and regained it back. THe only reason i managed to take him was because the road turned into one lane and i was just barely enough ahead that he had to slow down.

It was a very even match. Really a drivers race.

I'd agree.

We have to launch are cars REALLY hard to get to 60 in mid 5's

But the S2000 driver has to launch it even harder.

Above 80 or 90 mph, the light, high rpm screamer S2000 will most likely begin to pull away by just a touch, but below 80 mph it's a drivers race.

And yes, they are LOUD cars even stock.

By the way, I had a run in with one in my 02 Maxima GLE

It was on the freeway from about 50 mph up to 90 mph or so.

After seeing him weave in and out of traffic, I came up on his arse,

knowing once traffic cleared he'd nail it.

And he did, and so did I.

He pulled a bit, in the 50-90 run he pulled like 2 car lengths.

And the 4 speed auto in the Max really stinks once you hit 3rd gear.

They DO have to be driven REALLY hard to go fast.

Auto LGT probably performs just like the auto 02 Max.

Ahh, yes that makes a difference.

But the LGT still won't be getting the "full" power. Just

much less of a loss.

The S2000 is probably pretty gutless at altitude.

In that case, an AUTO LGT might very well be able to give the S2000

all it can handle up to 60 mph or so.

2004 s2000 14 flat 1/4mile 100mph

Stick LGT 14.3 98

driven both, own the LGT, the honda will take it from a stand still consistantly although, will ALWAYS have to down shift to accelerate like the LGT in "real world" driving situations.

put the cars in the corners and the LGT doesn't stand a chance...

well, some mods on a S2000 could hinder it.. losing torque at lower ranges and such. I have walked away from NA modded S2ks with my Stage 2 WRX that makes about 220 whp without a problem and with passengers. My WRX weighed around 3400 lbs with passengers and I still managed to walk away on every gear up to 4th.. 5th is just pushing it as it's too tall of a gear.

Some people know how to drive, some dont, that's the fun part of finding out in a race. You can have the world's best performing car, but if you get an idiot behind the wheel, the car is nothing more than metal, rubber, plastic and fluids.

Keefe

Keefe

2004 s2000 14 flat 1/4mile 100mph

Stick LGT 14.3 98

the honda will take it from a stand still consistantly although,

Don't know if I'd say that. The S2000 requires a REALLY hard launch

to see mid 5's to 60

Even some of the car mags haven't been able to get several to hit

60 in under 5.8 seconds.

The LGT, with it's AWD is much easier to launch hard.

And as stated before, the time to 60 isn't saying much about time to distance.

I would say, the LGT manual would "consistently" jump out in front of

the S2000, and the S2000 would just begin to reel it in a bit, but

require nearly the full 1/4 mile to overtake the manual LGT.

And at any elevation above 3000 rpm's, I'd put my money on the manual LGT.

from the look of that s2000 i can tell its the old one with 2 liters engine instead of the new 2.2L... also, the exhaust isn't stock (theres a big one instead of two smaller ones, one at each side) because my friend's bro has a s2000 and i have seen too many on the road.

i hope i will see it again. :)

This Space For Rent

Tried to mess with this modified s2000 last week in leesburg. Don't think he wanted to do anything though. Think I saw him getting a ticket a couple weeks ago.:lol:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Tried to mess with this modified s2000 last week in leesburg. Don't think he wanted to do anything though. Think I saw him getting a ticket a couple weeks ago.:lol:

Dark gray one with Konig Tantrums and 5Zigen Fireballs? If so, that buckethead lives across the street from me. He drives like a total ass......cutting people off and riding down the street revving his motor to set car alarms off. Every once in awhile, I would get next to him in my CRX at a light on 7...he would laugh....not that I was trying to race. Funny thing was, I had a black S2000 in the garage, but promised my buddy I wouldn't flog it (much).

yep, think so. yeah, think he got a ticket a couple weeks ago. If I had know what an arss he was I would have honked as I went by:D
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived