LegacyGT.com

Hack OEM Navi system? make it can watch Videos(DVD) or TV?

I saw someone post on other website saids he has hit(hack) the OEM Navi system...

and make it can actually play and watch videos (like DVDs?) or something else..

any one knows?

how to do it?

I know the OEM's can not identify the DVD discs...except the MAP DVD

It has a composite video input on the back of the screen. You can use it as an aux input to add a dvd player or mpeg harddrive based video player. I have a pc hooked up to mine. I use it mostly for romraider gauge display, but also have windows mediacenter on it for mp3s and movies.

The wires don't really need any cleaning up.. They're in the wheel well covered by the foam tray and then the carpeted trunk cover.

You switch inputs with the info button.

I use this to control it all:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848&cl=US,EN

I envy you :rolleyes:;):) So sick but yet so simple i mean really the only issue i see would be the laptop dying or needing a reboot due to a freeze. How do you accommodate the laptop staying in your car for long periods say a day without running your car to charge it back up ? How does it charge?

i envy you :rolleyes:;):) so sick but yet so simple i mean really the only issue i see would be the laptop dying or needing a reboot due to a freeze. How do you accommodate the laptop staying in your car for long periods say a day without running your car to charge it back up ? How does it charge?

yeah...good question...

I envy you :rolleyes:;):) So sick but yet so simple i mean really the only issue i see would be the laptop dying or needing a reboot due to a freeze. How do you accommodate the laptop staying in your car for long periods say a day without running your car to charge it back up ? How does it charge?

It's set to go to sleep within 5 mins when on battery. When the car is running, it is on dc power (cig lighter) that I ran into the trunk. The dinovo mini kb is able to wake it from sleep. If I don't drive for some reason for many days it's possible for it to power off, in which case I have to pop the trunk and hit the power switch. That hasn't really been an issue yet.

I have a small media player hooked up to mine. It has no internal memory but has a USB input for any HD or thumb drive. I put DVDs on a 8GB thumb drive and just plug it in. It also plays audio and shows pictures. It fits in the palm of my hand, so I just keep it tucked away in the center console. I might remote-mount a USB drive somewhere descrete on my dash, so I can just enter the car, plug in my thumb drive, and listen/watch my most recent stuff. The media player comes on automatically when the car is on.

rtbrjason, how long has it been in there? I would be concerned about the laptop in extreme hot and cold temps? And where is this composite input? Does it require ripping into the dash?

Maybe 6 months or so.. Not had any problems as of yet.

Composite input is on the back of the screen. You need to pull the vent surrounds off, remove 2 screws and the screen will pull out. It's not too hard. The hardest part was running the composite cable to the trunk, and even that wasn't too big of a deal.

• 9 years later...

Archived