LegacyGT.com

Hail Damage repair - Small update

So, learning stuff about dent repair here. Short recap:

About one month ago, my wife's LGT was in the center of a massive hail storm (but did not encounter the tornado that was also nearby). Golf ball sized hail pelted the car for about 7-8 minutes.

The result was, according to the body shop and insurance adjuster, about 200-300 dings and dents covering the hood, roof, trunk, fenders, quarter panels, and driver's side (where it was exposed to the wind effect I guess).

The estimate was $3200 to fix it. We dropped it off last Thursday afternoon and I'm picking it up this Thursday afternoon, but here's what I learned....

I never thought about what was involved in paintlessly repairing all these dents. I'm very much so against people tearing apart any part of my car without need, as things rarely go back together in the same manner....

Well, my ignorance. The body shop just informed me that they are about done the dent repair, but it's going to take another day to "Put the headliner back in and assorted trim, all the door pieces and trim, the trunk liner and carpeting, the hood liner and hood scoop...."

Holy crap.....I expected to go and have to inspect the surface of the paints for dents/dings/ripples. Now I realize that I'm going to have to inspect the hood and trunk to line up straight, the interior for damage/dirt/scratched trim, etc.

Grrr...this is a reputable shop, but I better not have any new creaks or rattles or have to haggle over getting this thing done right.

Joe

How did you really think PDR guys repair dents and dings without getting at the dent from the back side? Did you think they sucked them out from the front like those magical 20 dollar devices as seen on TV?

Don't worry about the body shop putting back your interior incorrectly. They do it every day. For a living.

You'll just develop an ulcer sweating over minor things like that.;)

Be happy that you got the job covered by insurance!:)

Gire,

I know. I literally hate people touching my car. I had my wife write down the mileage when she dropped it off. I'm really paranoid about this sorta stuff, but you are right that they do it everyday and probably assembled it better than Subaru did (although it had no creaks or rattles when it was dropped off, so Subaru did good).

I'll wait to get the final bill from them, but a $250 deductible for this isn't bad.

I feel your pain! I've got pretty bad OCD when it comes to my car! Heck, I didn't like the amount of disassembly required just to replace the windshield when my original windshield developed a crack!

the bodyshop claimed they needed to take off my door to for a paint match when somebody hit and ran my parked lgt...well apparently they never see subarus. Scratched my tint (gave me a $50 check) and my driver side door creaks and squeaks when I close it (something not put together right). If it was my passenger door I would have it looked at since it would be embarrassing, but since it is driver door I cope and try to ignore it (ps I am the OCD type with my car, so bad that I dust the dash every day :) ).

So basically I feel your pain seeing my shop sucked at taking apart one door!

just be thankful you took it to a shop that is doing PDR on your vehicle and not just pushing the insurance company to do traditional repair since they don't have the ability or knowledge to do PDR. For hail, this absolutley the best bet.

Dont paint anything unless you have to. Just make sure to inspect some of the double walled panels (roof rails, quarter panels) to make sure they didnt drill into them in non-appearance areas for acces to the inner panel without sealing them

Basically to get in behind any panel that needs a dent to be popped out, they have to drill a small hole in an inconspicious area (usually behind a weather jam) in order to thread the popping tool in. They then plug up the hole with a grommet when they are finished with that area.

Don't freak out about that fact, it's the only to get in areas that are double walled with metal. Your car won't fall apart because of it.:lol:

Archived