LegacyGT.com

Group N Trans mount worth it?

Mindspin311

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually pick up my car this week, which is all stock. It has a 5 spd M/T, which I would like to upgrade right away.

I have read some favorable comments about the upgrade to a better transmission mount. I intend to put in a Cobb short throw shifter and Cobb bushings. I read that including the better, stiffer transmission mount is a good idea as well. What I am wondering is - is this the right one for an '05 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited? - STI WRX 5MT Transmission GroupN Mount - PART# [sTI D1010FE020]. http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/sti-wrx-5mt-transmission-groupn-mount-p-671.html?osCsid=785ccac05dfcfb60469235ff2b355aed

I see that is for the WRX STI, but does it also fit in my Legacy? Does anyone know where I can purchase all three items at one website? I have seen all three items listed separately on different sites but not together. I only want to pay shipping once.

I actually pick up my car this week, which is all stock. It has a 5 spd M/T, which I would like to upgrade right away.

I have read some favorable comments about the upgrade to a better transmission mount. I intend to put in a Cobb short throw shifter and Cobb bushings. I read that including the better, stiffer transmission mount is a good idea as well. What I am wondering is - is this the right one for an '05 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited? - STI WRX 5MT Transmission GroupN Mount - PART# [sTI D1010FE020]. http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/sti-wrx-5mt-transmission-groupn-mount-p-671.html?osCsid=785ccac05dfcfb60469235ff2b355aed

I see that is for the WRX STI, but does it also fit in my Legacy? Does anyone know where I can purchase all three items at one website? I have seen all three items listed separately on different sites but not together. I only want to pay shipping once.

You need the 5sp mount for the WRX/Legacy. I'd also recommend getting the kartboy rear shifter bushing and doing that at the same time with all the other items you listed.

Check out fredbeans parts for a lot of the stuff.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Yes, that's the mount you want. As long as it says "5" MT and not "6" MT you're fine.

I bet you could get it all from Fred beans.

http://www.freadbeansparts.com

Sorry, I guess they don't have the Cobb products. Go with the AVO shifter and Kartboy bushings. Good stuff!

Still haven't addressed my NVH issues. Sometimes it doesn't bother me, other times it's like fingernails on a chalkboard! :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Cheers!

i havent changed the pivot bushings . i should

Either did I but since my car is a 09 I doubt there would be a difference even if I swapped mine out for those.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I had the Group N trans mount in my 01 RS, and just installed one in the LGT today. I had forgotten how much I liked this upgrade. Haven't done any of the other misc driveline bits yet, but I'm pretty happy for now. Between the transmission mount and Spec B Rev B suspension I installed a few weeks ago, I feel like I have a new car.

• 3 weeks later...
I have the crossmember bushings waiting to go on. I think I may needn the Group N trans mount. Downshifted to 3rd the other day and heard something 'clunk'. When my DP was installed the Tech had to shave some mount because there was not enough clearence and the DP was hitting when I stopped suddenly. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I will find out.
Rehab is for quitters.

I now have the JDM STi 5 speed transmission mount in my possession (linked by ifbiker HERE). I will be comparing it to the Group N version that I have installed soon. Upon initial inspection I don't see much difference. I'm hoping the STi will be a bit softer (and quieter).

I also plan to remove the TiC linkage and pivot bushings and replace them with the original ones. Hopefully that will quiet stuff down a bit too. I'll likely leave the large front and rear stay bushings (both Kartboy pieces) in there though.

That's the plan anyway. When I get some time.

I'll report back soon!

• 4 weeks later...
Posting my feedback on mount. I just got my Group N tranny mount installed. So far I love it. Nothing bad to report about it. I noticed the slop when taking off in 1st is gone. Clutch feels more solid when engaging on take off. The shifter also doesnt move as much. Only thing is when ac compressor kicks in or Fans little vibration. From a 1-10 vibration is like a 3. very livable. Car feels more refined.

Update.

OK, I haven't taken the Group N mount out to compare it to the JDM STi version yet but I have what I'm pretty sure is confirmation (2 separate diagnosis by professional Subaru mechanics) that the noise I'm hearing is some dying pinion bearings (?) in my transmission.

Looks like I get to spend about $2K on a tranny rebuild! YAY! :mad: :mad:

Trying to decide if I want a front LSD installed while this is done or go whole hog on a 6MT swap. Decisions, decisions.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

OK all fixed!

I'm happy to report that I left the Group N mount on there and it's totally livable as far as noise. SSOOO much quieter with good bearings. :iam::lol: :lol: ;)

Turns out it was the main bearing in the transfer case that was making so much noise. Apparently this bearing is right at the back of the transmission and right under (approximately) where the shifter comes into the cabin. Hence the reason I could hear it so well!

I brought it home with me and will try and take some pictures of it. Basically the roller bearings were all a little pitted with one or two having some huge pits in them. You can also see where the heat was building up and turning the steel black.

I had all the bearings replaced, the first gear synchro, a helical front LSD installed, a TSK3 tranny snout kit installed and a new ACT HDSS clutch and WRX flywheel installed.

Total damage (parts, labor, shipping and sales tax) was ~$4400. Damn! That's the first time I've added it all up! :eek: Maybe I should have just done the 6MT swap! :lol::D;)

That breaks down to ~$1200 for the front LSD from Rallispec, ~$1000 (minus $400 in Subaru Bucks so really only $600 ;)) for the clutch, flywheel, TSK3 and 4 qts. of Extra-S from Fred Beans Parts (Thanks Jeremy and crew!), and ~$2200 for the labor and small parts (bearings, synchro, seals etc.) from a great local Subaru shop Outback Automotive (Thanks JohnJohn and crew!).

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

One more positive review for this tranny mount.

Yesterday I installed the Group-N Tranny mount, crossmember bushings, and rear shifter bushing. +1 to what everyone has said, the car feels amazing, very crisp shifts, no more jerking, power feels more responsive.

The OEM parts these replaced are so gummy soft, I wish I replaced them sooner.

Highly recommend these parts, install them ASAP!

• 3 weeks later...

Installed it yesterday. My car feels like a totally different car now. Im loving every minute of it!

I would definitely recommend it to anyone, the stock mount thats on the car is pretty much two marshmallows.. im glad i replaced mine.

"I noticed the slop when taking off in 1st is gone." x2 i totally feel the same way on this..

• 1 year later...
I installed Group N transmission mount, crossmember bushings, and rear shifter bushing this evening, but I am not having the same experience as you all. For some reason, I am getting a pretty serious vibration through the car that is RPM dependent. I have no idea what this could be other than possibly lining something up incorrectly. The shifts feel great though!

Archived