LegacyGT.com

Who likes a downdraft vent option?

fj1200

It's been a while since I've used one, but my parents used to have this at their old house. I hated it! (So did they). A good hood is the only way to go.

All I can really say is that it never really worked very well. The unit they had (can't speak for all units) was much louder than typical hood units - but that could have been an issue unique to that stove. Some vapor obviously still rose above the stove, so there was more moisture lingering further from the air flow.

My $.02

Thanks for the feedback, it's about what I expected since it's hard for these things to fight the laws of thermodynamics or some such thing. I like the look of no hood and no upper cabinets and I think it would handle most of the venting work, and I like the idea of the grill side, but this may not be the best option for our kitchen redo.

Like I was saying, aside from the built in one on the surface, many companies offer ones that are hidden, and then rise up when you need them electronically. IIRC, these actually handle more CFM than the ones built in

Check the blower dimensions. We considered it, but couldn't figure out where to put the thing if we wanted drawers under the cooktop. And we found a hood we liked.

DSCF2407.thumb.jpg.d962af4580dffb948f468033b6996386.jpg

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

We have a Jenn-air downdraft, replaced a previous Jenn-air unit and it works very well, no real complaints. We did not have the option to put in a hood unit in our situation.

Check the blower dimensions. We considered it, but couldn't figure out where to put the thing if we wanted drawers under the cooktop. And we found a hood we liked.

nice, looks real clean.

not a fan of downdrafts. The steam and other things rising off the stove are heated.. heat naturally rises.. so you hve to have extra suction (and noise in some cases) to counteract that.. combine that with the fact that grease and other nastiness splashes into the downdraft and over the years clogs it up real nice.. its just not a good idea.

I agree with heights (:eek:) if thats the way you're gonna go try to get one of those popup full length units or get an OTR microwave like I got.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^^ beautiful kitchen! :wub: Are those Electrolux appliances?

Good eye. Cooktop & ovens are Electrolux. Hood is Kitchen Aid.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs087.snc1/4912_214998935480_671785480_7387796_3810557_n.jpg

My microwave updraft seems to work ok. To be honest I rarely use it..

this is before the wall plates were put on or the under cabinet lighting was finished.

crown and sink trim (and dishwasher) coming soon.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

My microwave updraft seems to work ok. To be honest I rarely use it..

We rarely used the updraft at our old house; to low, to loud, not vented to the outside... so do I get an updraft I don't like to use or a downdraft that I will? I guess I'll wait until we have a design before worrying about that.

We rarely used the updraft at our old house; to low, to loud, not vented to the outside... so do I get an updraft I don't like to use or a downdraft that I will? I guess I'll wait until we have a design before worrying about that.

Get the one you'll use!

FWIW, ours is recirculated, as we didn't want another hole in the roof.

It's a bit loud, but works.

Ours is a Deck House - no attic.

If we change our mind, we can convert.

Guest heightsgtltd
Yeah but your recirculated is prob. through a chemical, or if not, can handle a lot more than one that's built into the microwave..

Ours is through a graphite filter, which needs to be changed every few months.

Ummm - at least we can cook when the fireplace is lit (recirc = no draw back from the wood fireplace).

Microwave vents have 3 options. Recirc. Vent out back. Vent out top. There is a plastic block in the back that you flip around to get the different airflow directions. They are perfectly fine over a stovetop as a hood IF you make it vent to outside either straight out the back or up and out the top.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived