LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R owners...I have questions

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating with this "every car maker" :) I meant most of them who used brains and want/ed no trouble. I have experience with Bimmers, Mercs, Mazdas and Nissans mostly, that's where my thought is coming from :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had that 2nd gear hangup happen just a couple of times, just not enough to consider it a real problem. I just thought it was me being too active with my foot; you all know how slow the computer (mapping) is on these things. It's my biggest complaint of all 3 of my Subaru's in the past 3 years. With throttle by wire, anything you do with your foot is a suggestion to the car rather than a command.

Sort of new owner here. I noticed that my 2nd gear sort of hangs, especially on uphills where it'll surge to 4k rpm before upshifting. My car is the exact same as your, color, trim, etc. This only happens in Sport mode though, doesn't happen in "I" mode. Never tried Sport# mode yet because I'm quite concerned of MPG.

That brings me to the fuel consumption topic of the 3.0R. I'm quite puzzled as to how you people get such good mileage while I'm only getting 14l/100kms (Roughly 17 mpg). This is based on 80%city/20%highway. I can't imagine when my mother drive the car to work, which is like 10 mins away from home (all city), it'll probably surge to 16l/100 kms (14-15 mpg). Any help here?

I feel the same about the fuel consumption. It's not the best on these cars. Sometimes I wish I had just gotten a 4-door truck. I get 15-19 in the city depending on how bad (aggressively) I drive. My best highway is 27-31 depending on my speed. But I came out of a Legacy 2.5i with decent mileage before this car, so my opinion may be a little biased.

My opinion on the 2nd gear hangup is that it's probably just the computer being slow to react to some change, probably change in throttle position. When it has done that to me, I let off the throttle just a bit and keep it in one position. It'll usually shifts in a few seconds. Or I'll quickly bump it to manual shift mode and do it manually, then bump it back to automatic. But even the manual shifter doesn't react as quickly as my 2.5i used to. It's shift was instant, this one always has a slight delay.

I feel the same about the fuel consumption. It's not the best on these cars. Sometimes I wish I had just gotten a 4-door truck. I get 15-19 in the city depending on how bad (aggressively) I drive. My best highway is 27-31 depending on my speed. But I came out of a Legacy 2.5i with decent mileage before this car, so my opinion may be a little biased.

My opinion on the 2nd gear hangup is that it's probably just the computer being slow to react to some change, probably change in throttle position. When it has done that to me, I let off the throttle just a bit and keep it in one position. It'll usually shifts in a few seconds. Or I'll quickly bump it to manual shift mode and do it manually, then bump it back to automatic. But even the manual shifter doesn't react as quickly as my 2.5i used to. It's shift was instant, this one always has a slight delay.

Lol, the 2.5i should be getting better mileage since it's only a 4cyl. But I don't know, we'll see about our situation if it improves. Still a nice car regardless and can't wait to test it out in winter.

As for the gear change, yea I tried it again and it very dependent on the throttle position, though sometimes it's just weird. And even the manual upshift, there's this annoying delay that I didin't have in my TSX previously.

I have an automatic gearbox on my Outback, and it just confirms my opinion that AT gearboxes do have a mind of their own. Downshifts when it thinks it's appropriate, not when I want.

Hmmm... I should have gotten that Forester Diesel instead with a 6MT gearbox. :spin:

453747.png

Hi, just a few words from a 3.0 owner in Europe. Have mine for a while now, so I can say the 3.0R is absolutely fault free... at least I have had no problems with it since I have it :lol: I've got 149.000km on it, no fault at all and when comparing it to the 2.5T, you can't be serious saying they have similar milage... I do an average of 12l/100km on mine, on the Turbo version I did 15-16l/100km with my driving style (I fu**ing tease it all the time, regardless the fact it's a daily driver)... :eek: The brakes are a "must replace" though, have got Project Mu's on mine and boy, what a difference it is! ;)

really? I have my lgt ran for almost 160,000 km w/o any problem

really? I have my lgt ran for almost 160,000 km w/o any problem

Yup. I'm not saying the LGT is bad, I'm just saying that if this guy states the milage on these two VERY different engines is the same... the only thing I can do is just laugh :spin: BTW have 167.000km on mine now and the first problem that has occured (and is a usual fault for 3.0R around 160k) is the catalytic converters have gone almost unusable... so tha CRUISE, Check Engine and VDC OFF lights are on (CRUISE is blinking). That can be either reset by Subaru servicemen, or have the catalytics (three of them, HAVE to replace all three) replaced, or for the same or less price, take them off, put on a pipe till the end end put on a catback from HKS :wub: Will go for the thirs option and sell the car later, since I'll be needing something different (baby's coming lol) :p

I have an automatic gearbox on my Outback, and it just confirms my opinion that AT gearboxes do have a mind of their own. Downshifts when it thinks it's appropriate, not when I want.

Hmmm... I should have gotten that Forester Diesel instead with a 6MT gearbox. :spin:

I find that the gearbox is very inconsistent. Sometimes, it is undecided whether or not it wants to stay on 4th or downshift to 3rd. I agree that it has a mind of its own, lol. Heck it even went to 1st today while I accelerate the car moderately that was already rolling at around 10-15km/h, while other cars usually stay in 2nd gear.

Yup. I'm not saying the LGT is bad, I'm just saying that if this guy states the milage on these two VERY different engines is the same... the only thing I can do is just laugh :spin: BTW have 167.000km on mine now and the first problem that has occured (and is a usual fault for 3.0R around 160k) is the catalytic converters have gone almost unusable... so tha CRUISE, Check Engine and VDC OFF lights are on (CRUISE is blinking). That can be either reset by Subaru servicemen, or have the catalytics (three of them, HAVE to replace all three) replaced, or for the same or less price, take them off, put on a pipe till the end end put on a catback from HKS :wub: Will go for the thirs option and sell the car later, since I'll be needing something different (baby's coming lol) :p

I did like H6 engine a lot, but too bad, I couldn't find any good deal on those + they are extremely rare (used one) around my area haha...

Every car will die if you abuse it, H6 or GT no different story :)

• 1 month later...

I will take my car to the dealer soon to check some annoyances it's had since delivery. It now has 18k miles, and is almost 1yr old; so, it's had break-in time. I want to run these by you all for some insight in case you've already had the same issues disgnosed, since the dealers here could use the help...they aren't the best. (they're quite possibly the worst, actually:(

)

1. Steering whine, which gets much louder at left and right limits. (not the cam chains' whine, that's different...and normal on H6)

2. Rattle in glove box when it is closed (probably the latch)

3. Rattle at Base of A pillar on Driver's side at cooler temperatures. (my 06 and 08 Legacy had exact same rattle)

4. Rattle/vibration in passenger door caused by stereo at mid listening levels

4. Stereo went dead once, but was fine after key removed, and restart.

5. Driver outside door handle seems to be hard to open at times. (lubed it already)

6. Anyone know of a new flash update to speed up the mapping on these cars? The throttle response is terrible and even dangerous at times.

Thx in advance.

Belt was secure and tight last time I checked. The car did this from day 1. From my experience, steering whine is usually caused by air in the system. I just wondered if there was a documented fix, since it seems pretty common for thisi vehicle.

The passenger door rattle...I'm pretty sure it is covered if you press for them to fix it. If I either push or pull on the armrest part of the door, the noise stops. So it's obviously something relatively simple. Mine has gotten a little better. It only does it with a certain bass frequency, but it still is annoying when it presents itself.

• 2 weeks later...
i saw above that hks makes an exhaust for the 3.0r does anyone know of any other brand bought my 2009 3.0r a week ago and i already have the itch to mod it. also there is no need to tune it if i just do a k+n filter right?

• 3 months later...
Looking into getting a 2009 3.0R. I have read in a few places that you can run regular gas with this engine, as premium is "recommended" but not "required". Im curious to know if anyone primarily uses regular and if it has lead to any reliability problems. What are the differences in performance? I would also assume that there might be differences in MPG when using regular vs premium. Anyone have any experience with this? I would like to have the power of the 3.0R but also have to contend with driving 23K per year at about 70% highway and 30% city/suburb.

I drive 60-70% highway and see little change in mpg between 93 or 87 octane gas. I do notice some occassional engine knock and hesitation with the regular gas. I have about 25k on the odometer and consistently get 26.1 mpg with a heavy right foot.

• 1 year later...

I just bought mine (09) not even a few months ago and already I love it. But it is rare to come across a good deal for the H6 especially for a low mileage vehicle. Already did a few mods

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/r4m3n/black.jpg

Mines long gone but some things of note that bothered me..

1. 5EAT was a little rough especially when coming to a stop it would abruptly downshift into 2nd as you slowed.

2. Front seats were not very comfortable due to the side bolsters.

3. Very limited back seat room but that is preference.

Archived