LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R owners...I have questions

I have put 3000 miles on my Legacy 3.0R Limited since I purchased it in early july. I definately have to say, I have no regrets in trading in my 03 G35 for the 3.0R. However, I do have to say the 100-w Stereo in the 2008 3.0Rs are kind of weak.

you really think so? i feel like mine gets pretty damn loud especially with the auxiliary hooked up to the ipod and cant complain with the sound whatsoever

edit: i also used to drive an 04 saturn ion :lol:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you tried the factory sub? I added it to my 06 and 08 Legacy and it made a world of difference. I think I preferred it over this 09 Harmon/Kardon system. The H/K is clearer and precise- the instruments and voices sound more real; but I think the 08 (with sub) had a little more overall volume. It's just a matter of personal preference, like anything. Although I hear sonic improvements in the new H/K, I think it's mostly advertising hype. Notice they never mention the non-premium system being made by Panasonic. But now, just the words, 'Harmon/Kardon' will help sell the cars. I'll admit, it got MY attention. But in the end, the CAR still sold itself.

You are right it's a matter of personal preference. The HK system in my 08 3.0R is very clear and precise compared to the Bose system in my 03 G35. The Bose system was louder but very muffled. I guess I just have to get use to a newer car and a it's stereo system. But I still love the 3.0R and I don't miss the G35.

You are right it's a matter of personal preference. The HK system in my 08 3.0R is very clear and precise compared to the Bose system in my 03 G35. The Bose system was louder but very muffled. I guess I just have to get use to a newer car and a it's stereo system. But I still love the 3.0R and I don't miss the G35.

You shouldn't have a h/k system in an '08 Legacy. They started in 2009. Is there a chrome harmon/kardon badge on your tweeters near the front door handle? If not, you have the Panasonic which I preferred once the optional subwoofer was added. And I also prefer it over the Bose system in an '08 Maxima I heard recently- probably similar to the G35 system. At lower levels, I think the harmon/kardon sounds better than the Panasonic; but at higher volume, I prefer the old Panasonic w/sub. And I usually have it loud :)

You shouldn't have a h/k system in an '08 Legacy. They started in 2009. Is there a chrome harmon/kardon badge on your tweeters near the front door handle? If not, you have the Panasonic which I preferred once the optional subwoofer was added. And I also prefer it over the Bose system in an '08 Maxima I heard recently- probably similar to the G35 system. At lower levels, I think the harmon/kardon sounds better than the Panasonic; but at higher volume, I prefer the old Panasonic w/sub. And I usually have it loud :)

thanks again. you are right, I just when with what the salesman told me about the 08 having the H/K system. the system in the 08 does sound very clear at louder volumes.

thanks again. you are right, I just when with what the salesman told me about the 08 having the H/K system. the system in the 08 does sound very clear at louder volumes.

When I got home last night, I spent about 40 minutes parked in the driveway listening to my music and realized the only thing I miss about my '08 Legacy is the stereo. Some may think it's crazy; but I'd rather not have that h/k badge on my front doors. And I was told the '08 and before models with the "SRS" enhancement sound great (which is what you should have). Do you have the sub?

When I got home last night, I spent about 40 minutes parked in the driveway listening to my music and realized the only thing I miss about my '08 Legacy is the stereo. Some may think it's crazy; but I'd rather not have that h/k badge on my front doors. And I was told the '08 and before models with the "SRS" enhancement sound great (which is what you should have). Do you have the sub?

Ummm.... not sure. where is the sub located at? I agree with general concensus that the SRS does make the stereo sound really good.

Under the driver's seat. If you have one, you should feel the beat of your music on your backside! :lol:

The only thing I feel on my backside is my son's feet kicking the back of my seat...LOL.;). Okay will look for it. Thanks everyone.

Ummm.... not sure. where is the sub located at? I agree with general concensus that the SRS does make the stereo sound really good.

the h/k sub on the 2009 Outback is in the cargo area with a dedicated speaker housing.

like the previous posters stated...the sound quality at higher levels is not that good. lower to mid levels is excellent though.

I'd like to add the Subaru accessory underseat sub/amp...but not sure if it is compatible since the h/k system already has one?

Isnt the JK subwoofer in the Legacy sedan in the rear deck behind the seats??

Yes, on the Legacy Sedan, it's on the back deck behind the back seats. The optional sub on the non-H/K systems is mounted under the driver's seat; but fyi- on my '06 they had mounted it under the passenger seat and it sounded a little better. And the passenger got their seat vibrated instead of me.

And as far as I now (and have read), the optional sub can't be added to a H/K system simply because it already has a sub. But IMO, I think the H/K could still use some help with the mid-bass. And the optional sub (under the seat-mounted unit) had most of that.

Out of curiousity, I have attempted to look up some performance specs for the 2008 Legacy 3.0R (auto, with SI drive). But there seems to be alot of conflicting information regarding the 0-60, and quarter mile times, and the top speed (not that I will attempt to break the speed limit). Does anyone know the actual numbers or know of where I can get the info?

• 1 month later...
Loving my 3.0R, especially now that the weather is cooler. But every couple of weeks, a new rattle surfaces in the interior. Rattle #3, in the back deck next to the H.K sub where the deck meets the window. UGGGH! And does anyone else find the whine under the hood gets louder with time? Still not sure if that's the chains driving the cams, or the power steering. The p/s does make noise in turns. I will have quite a list for the 1st dealer visit.

Hi, just a few words from a 3.0 owner in Europe. Have mine for a while now, so I can say the 3.0R is absolutely fault free... at least I have had no problems with it since I have it :lol: I've got 149.000km on it, no fault at all and when comparing it to the 2.5T, you can't be serious saying they have similar milage... I do an average of 12l/100km on mine, on the Turbo version I did 15-16l/100km with my driving style (I fu**ing tease it all the time, regardless the fact it's a daily driver)... :eek: The brakes are a "must replace" though, have got Project Mu's on mine and boy, what a difference it is! ;)

The brakes are a "must replace" though, have got Project Mu's on mine and boy, what a difference it is! ;)

One of the 1st things I noticed was that the brake pedal required more effort than my 2008 2.5i. I don't know the brake specs, but it feels like this car has the same brakes as my 2.5i, but with more weight up front (2.5 vs 3.0) requiring more effort.

I agree on the whining part. I am actually going to mention it today to one of our techs to see what he says. I have not noticed a P/s noise, but do hear the whine from the engine bay...

Hey Seth. Lemme know what they find there with the whine. Because the dealer here is not the best with finding problems that aren't obvious. Mine goes in Friday, Nov. 13th.

Besides the 3 interior rattles, I will have them check the exterior handle on the driver door. It seems to be very hard to pull at times- like it's almost jammed...then pops open when I pull it hard. I've talked to other Outback/Legacy owners who've had this issue too. My 08 did it, but not the '06.

One of the 1st things I noticed was that the brake pedal required more effort than my 2008 2.5i. I don't know the brake specs, but it feels like this car has the same brakes as my 2.5i, but with more weight up front (2.5 vs 3.0) requiring more effort.

Yes, that's what I noticed when comparing to my friends' 2.5i

Another issue with them stock brakes was the fading effect which was huuuuuge. I'm driving distances at +/- 220km/h and if I needed to brake really hard, the stock brakes have let me see my whole life in a short movie 2 times, lol! Could not let that happen again, that's why I have them Project Mu's now and I cannot complain a bit! :wub:

Hey Seth. Lemme know what they find there with the whine. Because the dealer here is not the best with finding problems that aren't obvious. Mine goes in Friday, Nov. 13th.

Besides the 3 interior rattles, I will have them check the exterior handle on the driver door. It seems to be very hard to pull at times- like it's almost jammed...then pops open when I pull it hard. I've talked to other Outback/Legacy owners who've had this issue too. My 08 did it, but not the '06.

He has not looked at it yet, but says the 3.0r models can have idler pulleys that go bad and can cause some whining. He said he definitely wants to look at, but has just not had the chance yet.

Archived