LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R owners...I have questions

Does anyone know roughly what percentage of 2008 & 2009 Legacy sedans were the 3.0R? I've decided that if I'm getting the Legacy I definitely want it to be the 3.0R. However they seem to be difficult to find except for the few I've seen on Ebay that are nowhere near where I live.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine a very small percent were 6 cylinder models. There were not many new 3.0r models sold and many likely still own them.

I have seen them go through the Subaru closed auctions we watch from time to time, but they are going for an exceptionally high amount of money.

....they are going through the auction wholesale for about what I paid brand new for mine in July 09.

Does anyone know roughly what percentage of 2008 & 2009 Legacy sedans were the 3.0R? I've decided that if I'm getting the Legacy I definitely want it to be the 3.0R. However they seem to be difficult to find except for the few I've seen on Ebay that are nowhere near where I live.

I see that you're in New York, but there is an 08 3.0R limited at a dealership near me here in Pennsylvania that has one. It's bronze and they're asking $23,985 for it. The price has been dropped again as they were asking a thousand more for it a while ago.

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.carsense.com/used-car/2008-Subaru-Legacy-LTD-V-6-A26900/

I don't know how bad you want it but when i was looking for my LGT in the beginning of November, there were a few in PA. You'll have to go on the subaru site and look through each of the dealers in PA to find which ones.

good luck

Thanks for the info, I'm not quite at the point where I'd travel to PA to get one but in a month from now who knows. As a side note I'm not very picky on exterior color especially when searching for a used vehicle, but that bronze color is definitely not for me. It does nothing for me.

I know I'd seen 2 new ones on ebay last week, both in Ohio. One was blue, the other is the link below. These 09's are so discounted at this point, you would probably be better off buying one of these new if u can get your hands on one. That blue one may still be out there, I just can't find it through Subaru's website. Good luck.

http://www.halpert.subaru.com/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=2009&SBmake=clear&SBmodel=clear&SBprice=clear

• 1 month later...
What is the real world MPG's on the 3.0R's? I know the epa says 17/24 but what are you guys really getting? My driving is about 60% city 40% hwy.

Here's my milage, have almost the same driving like you (60:40 - city:hwy), hope it helps...

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/309131.html

Have to convert the consumption, though: http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/fuel_consumption.htm

In the end, it says I've got an average of 23.3 mpg... Have the first 3.0R, no SI Drive and I drive it like I stole it... :spin:

i remember right after an oil/air filter change in the summer (different gas) on a 150 mile trip all hwy i averaged something like 34-36mpg?. it was last summer and there were long inclines.

it was last summer, i dont remember exactly but i miss those numbers. in the winter with the snow and mixed driving i get abount 20.

I had reported on mileage back when I first got the car and it was warm out. Now that its winter the mileage has dropped quite a bit. I usually have almost 100% city driving where I range from 16-18 MPG, I and S modes make no difference. Highway I get 24-25 at about 70MPH. Can't wait till it warms up and I can see close to 30 highway again (60MPH) :).

Does anyone else have an issue where the car will hang in 2nd gear off of an intersection in S mode? this gets very annoying for me. Often floating up to 4500 RPM before it shifts and I am barely on the throttle. I usually let off the throttle completely for about 5 seconds before it will shift once I realize its hanging. By then it will shift straight to 4th and bog once I get on the gas again. I have been using the sport shift mode to avoid this, but even that gets annoying after a while especially if you forget it is in manual mode :rolleyes:. I appreciate Subaru trying to make the car more fuel efficient by creating SI-Drive, but it seems to be a gimmick as I see almost no difference except the car is trying to think for me instead of doing what I am telling it to through throttle and other driver inputs...

Slight drop-off in mileage for me, too. Same commute- cold weather -18-19mpg. Down from 21-22 during our (warm) fall. This is 12 miles of "city" driving, with 25 traffic lights between home and work- typically get a red light 30-50% of the time. Add in extra idling time to defrost windows in the morning; we won't scrape! (windows always gritty, and I won't risk glass scratches). This is also with CT winter blended gas- 10% Etoh and increased RVP (butanol).

Best mileage recorded was 31mpg last fall- 45-50 mph steady on a regular state highway.

Our Legacy upshifts normally, even when cold. I do sometimes get a slight shudder immediately after the 2-3 upshift in 'I" mode; I'm not sure if it is the dreaded torque converter TSB problem, or if it is driveline wind-up due to the granny shift.

I've had that 2nd gear hangup happen just a couple of times, just not enough to consider it a real problem. I just thought it was me being too active with my foot; you all know how slow the computer (mapping) is on these things. It's my biggest complaint of all 3 of my Subaru's in the past 3 years. With throttle by wire, anything you do with your foot is a suggestion to the car rather than a command.

Does anyone know of any light performance modifications available for the 3.0Rs? I've been hard pressed to find anything on the net. Maybe just cold air, or a performance programmer... nothing too heavy. Just have a K&N so far and hadn't noticed much difference.

the flystyle is right. However I have seen on "You Tube" 3.0R owners with custom exhausts for their cars, but not sure if those cars where the regular 3.0R or the 3.0R Spec B. I would assume that the exhausts aren't all that different.

• 1 month later...
The engine has a whine to it, believe that has to do with the timing chain. The H6's, at least the new ones, have a chain instead of a belt like the H4's.

The H6's have a timing chain? I can't find it now but I could have sworn I read somewhere before that they are also timing belts like the H4's. Does anyone know for sure?

The H6's have a timing chain? I can't find it now but I could have sworn I read somewhere before that they are also timing belts like the H4's. Does anyone know for sure?

Of course they have a timing chain. Every car maker since I don't even remember when LOL, is pushing their 6+ cylinders with a timing chain instead of a timing belt. The reason is pretty obvious, more power, more stretch, which the belt couldn't handle for a long time. You can find the info also in your Service Book, where there is a timing chain inspection every 100k km or so. I don't really remember the number now...

Of course they have a timing chain. Every car maker since I don't even remember when LOL, is pushing their 6+ cylinders with a timing chain instead of a timing belt. The reason is pretty obvious, more power, more stretch, which the belt couldn't handle for a long time. You can find the info also in your Service Book, where there is a timing chain inspection every 100k km or so. I don't really remember the number now...

Not exactly. Honda uses belts on its sixes. Our Ody with a 3.5 VTEC is belt driven. Change every 105K per the manual. We now have 140K on that bad boy.

I don't think that's true Kingpin. My parents had a 2005 Camry with the 3.0L V6 that used a timing belt. There was also an optional larger 3.3L V6 available in those Camry's that also used a belt. The reason I remember that is because I always found it strange that the base 4 cyl that came in those Camry's had a timing chain.

Nissan on the other hand has been using belts in all their engines for a long time.

Archived