LegacyGT.com

Extreme Performance tire comparo on Tirerack.com

whitetiger

Since this is here, I won't create a new thread just for my question. I've heard nothing but positives about the Z1 Star Specs. But I have 2 questions. 1, how are they in the rain? And 2, has anyone had issues with them being just under the OEM load rating? The LGT comes with 91W's and these are a 90W.

Tire noise is one thing I hate. On my gmc truck with 36" it was cool but on the lgt i like to be as quiet as possible. thats why i went with the f1 gs d3s as i had them in the past and they were super quiet and performed awesome in the rain. seemed to be working pretty well during auto-x but it was my first time and i def wasn't pushing the car to its limits so who knows... was thinking about tying something new next time around

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

GSD3's were another consideration of mine. Right now, Discount Tire has a $50 rebate on them and there's a Goodyear dealer around the corner from work if I ever need more. That's a big plus for me considering the Dunlops are a few days out. I think the winner will either be GSD3's or PS2's if I can convince myself to spend the $$$ on them.

Since this is here, I won't create a new thread just for my question. I've heard nothing but positives about the Z1 Star Specs. But I have 2 questions. 1, how are they in the rain? And 2, has anyone had issues with them being just under the OEM load rating? The LGT comes with 91W's and these are a 90W.

The Z1's I seem to find are great in the rain, I had to stop quick in a light drizzle on day and they brought the car to a stop not like I could say the same for the RE92's. Some one said that they Z1's are a noisy tire, I drive with the windows down all the time and I don't hear a thing. The only thing I can hear is when the tires pick up loose gravel or stones on the road and kick it up into the wheel wells which is going to happen with a extreme performance tire.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I have a nice resonating buzz from the Z1s when I'm holding steady at around 40-45mph. Any faster or slower than that, it's just lots of road noise. I can't really compare them to other extreme summers since they're my first set of summers (ever).

After reading through the review, I'd probably still get another set of Z1's next season when these wear out. I'd gladly sacrifice some dry traction for wet traction at the lower price point of the Kumho and Dunlops.

GSD3's were another consideration of mine. Right now, Discount Tire has a $50 rebate on them and there's a Goodyear dealer around the corner from work if I ever need more. That's a big plus for me considering the Dunlops are a few days out. I think the winner will either be GSD3's or PS2's if I can convince myself to spend the $$$ on them.

what does this have to do with this thread? GSD3's suck anyways...that's why they were replaced by F1 Asymmetric (an excellent tire).

what does this have to do with this thread? GSD3's suck anyways...that's why they were replaced by F1 Asymmetric (an excellent tire).

Did you read my post before that one and the following it by VXCL? I asked a question, he mentioned GSD's and I made my post concerning them.:confused:

really never heard that, but they have been around for a good 10 years easy so... the asymmetrics are run flat only no?

still looking to try something new next time around with the wet performance of the f1s but maybe a little more dry perf and steering response without giving up too much in tread wear.

slim you run the z1s at auto x or you run r comps?

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

really never heard that, but they have been around for a good 10 years easy so... the asymmetrics are run flat only no?

still looking to try something new next time around with the wet performance of the f1s but maybe a little more dry perf and steering response without giving up too much in tread wear.

slim you run the z1s at auto x or you run r comps?

I ran the Z1s all last year and then switched to R-comps this year. Btw, you have no idea how nice it is not to have to switch wheels during the event. I miss that so much.:lol:

really never heard that, but they have been around for a good 10 years easy so...

I've had two sets - 215/45/17 and 245/35/18. They're great in the wet but soft sidewalls - no steering response. They also have sidewalls that tend to bulge (check the VW forums for this...they were an OEM).

the asymmetrics are run flat only no?

as has been said, no. I have a set...had them on the MINI in 225/35/18 and they're excellent.

Slim, how did you like the Z1's, especially in the wet? My thing is I'd want to get rubber that's more readily available if I needed a new set but on the other hand, I'd still have factory wheels if I have to.

They're decent under normal wet conditions. When you reach deep standing puddles and hit them going around 60-65, you can definitely feel them hydroplane. Compared to a decent set of A/S tires (Contiextreme) they're not as good in deep puddles but in any other situation during the warm weather, they're amazing. Definitely more than enough for the street, maybe even overkill. :p

Tirerack's test rated the RE-11R and Z1 very high in comfort and being quiet. Extreme performance tires are noisy compared with less grippy tires though.

My RE-01R's are so loud on my LGT, when I was @ the dealer I had them put the car on the lift and drive it just to make sure the howling sound wasnt wheel bearings going bad.

I've had two sets - 215/45/17 and 245/35/18. They're great in the wet but soft sidewalls - no steering response. They also have sidewalls that tend to bulge (check the VW forums for this...they were an OEM).

i see. i agree totally about the wet and the steering response. other bad thing is that the crazy tread design is easy to tear up during auto-x.

exactly why im looking for a good replacement for about the same $$$$ if it exists.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

My RE-01R's are so loud on my LGT, when I was @ the dealer I had them put the car on the lift and drive it just to make sure the howling sound wasnt wheel bearings going bad.

You must have something wrong with them

I've never had RE-01R noise until i flat spot or cup them. New, they're great.

Personally, I'm done driving any of these tires on the street. It is like burning money.

I have a set of HTR ZIIIs on OEM rims and some Re-01Rs on my SSR comps (though they'll need to be replaced soon). I can **** up my tires and not pay for it daily. Plus, I don't have to deal with wearing off soft tires commuting.

the problem with the Kuhmos is they're asym. With the tire wear I get, being able to flip the tires on the rim gives me at least 1/4 more life. next tiore will be the Z1s. Hopefully, my first set did have abnormally soft sidewalls. The Re-11s and AD08s just seem to cost too much.

Archived