LegacyGT.com

wheel bearing help ASAP!

naimouasta

• 1 month later...

Oh come on. Share with us the DRAMA and exact methods of removal :)

By the way, I hope you had a much larger big f'ing hammer than that carpenter's version in the picture above.

I removed the wheel bearing from a 2003 Saturn Ion about a month back and I swear it was like the PB Blaster had done all the work for me. I think it literally took 2 light taps with a 5 pound sledge on the back and the thing just seperated from the knuckle. 6 years of driving in PA winters/salt/rust etc.

If it hadn't of gotten stuck for you, how long would it have taken to do this job?

With sealed units, I'm thinking maybe an hour using hand tools (no air tools)?

Joe

i think if everything went to plan maybe 1hr to 1.5hr for a regular guy in his garage. and that's taking your time and cleaning whatever rust off etc etc. other than taking the brake hardware off, its just the axle nut and four bolts that hold the bearing in place.

after cleaning the spindle, the new bearing went in SMOOTHLY. i was pissed as to how easy it was to slide in, spin the assembly, etc etc. vs how hard it was to get the old bearing unit out. i just stuck a whole bunch of anti-seize in there as hoping it will inevitably make my life easier down the road.

when i did this, lots of the noise went away, but now is back. this was my front left. i believe my front right and rears are going also. i was just back recently from the dealership and they denied any bearing noise. pisses me off. if you look at the pics when i did the front left bearing, there is barely any grease. whatever grease you see in the bearing, is all that was there. i did not wipe any old grease off. also you can see that the seal is all distorted. the other for 3 hubs i did not do anything yet, but there is a similar grease residue around the axle nut so i guess the seals are bad and grease is slowly leaking out. when you guys take off you wheels for maintenance, rotations, etc, take note of the axle nut if there is crusty yellow grease residue on and around there to confirm this.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2313/dsc04785s.jpg

thats all the grease that was on there!?!

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5980/dsc04789k.jpg

notice the seal is distorted. i did not do anything that would damage the seals.

• 1 year later...

so about 2 months ago i had enough of the tire/wheelbearing/road noise and wasnt going to deal with it on my upcoming trip, so i did a complete suspension/wheelbearing/bushing replacement. i cleaned up my springs/koni's and also got some group-n tophats. i also got camber bolts, front/rear LCA bushings, new tires, and four new wheel bearings. my car rode ******* awesome. firm yet smooth and super quiet. i couldn't believe my eyes/ears, it was a dream.

then road noise slowly came back after a month. i was disappointed and thought it was road noise from my tires (wore perfectly); but i've confirmed that it is indeed wheel bearings making all that noise. today in the rain there was a humming sound and then it stayed. it was a combo between a bee (but slower) and a playing card hitting spokes of a bicycle. :(

my fault though. i took a gamble and bought cheap wheel bearings. brand name "value pro" from rock auto. LOL. they were like $40 a piece. atleast this time when i redo them, they will come out easy with all that antiseize i put in there. i'll probably spend more money for timken branded wheel bearings. if anybody has had issues with them before please let me know.

replacing them is actually a very simple procedure. put car on jackstands. remove wheels/brake hardware(leave ebrake stuff on). remove axle nut (do it before the brakes). remove four bolts holding the wheel bearing assembling in. and i used a 3 jaw puller to pull the bearing out. i think using the slide hammer is like the "table cloth trick". its too fast so you end up pulling the hub out and leaving everything else.

the only concern i have with doing it using the 3 jaw puller is the force on the axle.

• 1 month later...

Funny question, does anyone have audio of what this sounds like? I thought I had an exhaust leak or a heat shield rattle. Every time I drive next to a jersey barrier with the window down i hear a faint sounds like a card in a spoke but much softer. I was convinced it was the engine until I shut if off down a hill and the noise stayed! Very much speed dependent.

So how would you test/isolate what wheel it is? (other than have my wife drive and stick my head out each window until it is the loudest). sounds to me like driver's side front wheel, but can't tell for sure -- that's just where I sit all the time.

**come to think of it, my sounds is almost like a "wisk wisk" sounds.

Archived