LegacyGT.com

burned out head light bulbs with bulging bubbles

c-lo

right, so I've had it with halogens. I'm converting over to HIDS pretty soon here, especially with the low prices.

but the last two bulbs I've changed have come out with a bulging bubble on the side of the bulb.

what the heck is going on with my headlight system?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Usually, that's a sign of some impurity on the surface of the bulb.

Most often, this comes from having touched the bulb ("finger oils"), but it's not limited to that cause - some, albeit a small minority, who've taken extreme care to install their bulbs still have experienced such issues.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

albeit a small minority, who've taken extreme care to install their bulbs still have experienced such issues.

that would be me.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

^ The best that some have figured it was that it was an impurity in the bulb that caused such issues.

Should literally be, like, a "once in a lifetime" kind of thing, particularly for it to happen to more than one bulb, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

And yep, these guys were the ones who cleaned-off the bulbs with alcohol and lint-free towels, and wore gloves, too.

These occasional cases truly present a mystery. :iam::spin::(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've experienced the same bulb bubbling on 3 different bulbs (2 different brands). I did not touch any part of the glass portion of the bulb during install. Simply removed the burnt out bulb, removed the new bulb from small package by holding the electrical connector, then simply plugged into headlight and snapped the wire bulb holding piece back in place - no contact with bulb at all. I've even checked the headlight housings to be sure the bulbs weren't touching anything, found nothing. This phenomenon has cropped up on other boards as well, but no one seems to know what it is other than perhaps the bulbs get too hot (either cooked wiring is causing greater resistance and increasing the current draw or the headlights simply get too hot in the housings).

Here's my previous thread with all of the bulb details & pictures:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107942&highlight=headlight

I saw this all the time back when I was wholesaling and warrantying Eurolite bulbs.

Crazy things happen. Explosions, things catching on fire inside the glass housing, bubbling, etc.

Archived