LegacyGT.com

1/4 mi results @ 17 psi

John M

No faster at all! 13.95 @ 98 was as good as she gets. That's maybe a 1.5 mph improvement over 15 psi but nothing on ET. 60ft was 1.85 with moderate wheelspin.

I weighed the car too - 3355 lbs at between empty and 1/4 tank. With me in it was 3635. Yes, just by getting into the car I actually add 10% to my car's weight.

This just confirms my theory: gains in speed will come with maintaining boost levels, not just quick spikes as the stock turbo can't keep up. Exhaust mods will certainly help ETs if it can keep boost up longer. Other than that it's time for a bigger turbo.

Oh, and I got a damn ticket for 78 in a 55 on the way home too. The state trooper said "I didn't know Subaru made such a nice car!" He was really nice but unfortunately they don't give warnings.

Boost drops like a brick after 5k rpm no matter what it's set at. Our tiny hairdryer is just tuned for response instead of power. 2.5 liters needs a manly turbo. It'll get one soon enough :D

Let me note that I still haven't installed my up pipe. I doubt it'll make a difference but it can't hurt either.

Makes sense no matter how much you turn up the boost the car dosent make power after 5000 RPM's 5000-6500 rpms is just a waste of time. Most tunes that I have seen hit peak power WELL before redline then power starts falling.

If you could hold that torque curve flat with a larger turbo and extropolate the HP curve the car will make over 300 whp easy.

The turbo in the Legacy GT will never support 17 PSI at redline. It does not physically flow enough to support the shaft speeds without either over-spinning the turbo or severly over-running the efficiency of the stock IC.

There is also no point to running that much boost on the stock VF40 @ 6K. The turbo would be so in-efficient it would blow nothing but hot air and probably cause the car to knock.

Archived