LegacyGT.com

Clutch Upgrade

pkwok4

Thinking about getting a new clutch for my car, which clutch/flywheel should I get? I want a clutch that is good for daily driving and the occasional track day. Its been suggested that I use the 06-07 wrx flywheel but ive been thinking about going with a lightweight setup instead. Has anyone had any experiences with a lightweight flywheel?

Yep... Had a LWFW (SPEC - and its for sale in the classifieds...)

It was a good flywheel and clutch combo, but if your daily driving consists of mostly stop and go traffic for the entire day, it can be a little irritating. If you have mixed driving its not so bad.

Just depends on what your daily drive consists of as to what setup will work the best for you.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

moved to transmissions.

and I highly recommend a heavier flywheel (as for reasons mentioned above) and the ACT Heavy Duty Street clutch. Awesome for street and can handle track days as well. rated up to 515 ftlb tq.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I've got the ACT 6-puck and LWFW - no issues - like it a lot.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I've got the ACT 6-puck and LWFW - no issues - like it a lot.

You live in queens right? This clutch kind of blows in stop and go traffic its too grabby.Much preffered the Heavy Duty Disk i used to have. All IMO of course:)

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I run spec stage 2+ clutch and SPEC LWF. IM getting close to 23K on it and love it. Blew my tranny before my clutch haha. If you decide to go with The spec set up look up "executor486" in the for sale as he has a steal on the LWF!!!

:)

Thanks for the referral. Thats the same setup I had previously and it was very strong and did well for about 25k miles. The only reason it didnt last longer was that my commute is literally 2 miles to work and its all stop and go at about 10mph at best. (work on a military base where they check everyone's ID, so its not condusive to LWFW's) I did like the increased rev speed I got out of the LWFW, but I didnt wanna tear up another clutch because of my crappy commute. lol

And with the stage 2+ clutch from SPEC it held power VERY well and I didnt get chatter too bad. A testament to the clutch is that it was actually eating into the rivets before it started to slip.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

You live in queens right? This clutch kind of blows in stop and go traffic its too grabby.Much preffered the Heavy Duty Disk i used to have. All IMO of course:)

I do live in Queens, yep. Second part: no, it really doesn't. It's fine on the street. It did take some some adjustment (human) however in driving style :) The OEM is much more forgiving. This thing rocks at the track I have to tell you.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I have the ACT HDMM Clutch and LWFW. Both have been on the car for over 30k miles now with no problems. I can see how the chatter from the flywheel may be annoying to some or the clutch may be a little much for stop and go traffic, blah, blah... But I have no problem with either and will definitely buy this set-up again.

Good luck with your search.

Anything from stock through stage 2 I'd recommend the ACT SB5-HDMM clutch + '06-07 WRX flywheel. I've had this set up for over a year and it works great. Pedal feel is very close to stock and holds stage 2+ power just fine. For me its a daily driver and the thought of getting a 13lbs. lightweight fly just right during shifts in stop and go traffic seems like a real pain. The OEM WRX fly is still lighter than the OEM dual mass LGT fly by @ 4lbs-5lbs. Plus it's cheaper than the lightweight one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the ACT clutch and the streetlite flywheel. I am not sold on it because the the chatter and the hesitation and jerkiness when not under heavy load conditions. Been advised that a lower weight flywheel can cause issues with he rotational mass of the drive train.

Does this make sense to the experts?

Doing some more modifications to get my car to 500 whp (@408 wheel on Mustang Dyno right now!) and I am thinking of switching to a heavier flywheel and probably keep the same clutch even though I will probably put a new one in as we will be in there.

Any recommendations on the flywheel? Will the 06 WRX fit in the LGT 5MT-HD?

Thanks

There must be something different with the 05 and 08's pressure plate since my OEM Clutch was like marshmallow compared to the ACT Pressure Plate like rock hard.

Just got a ACT 6 puck and LWFL installed, loving it but need to get used to it definitely.

There must be something different with the 05 and 08's pressure plate since my OEM Clutch was like marshmallow compared to the ACT Pressure Plate like rock hard.

Just got a ACT 6 puck and LWFL installed, loving it but need to get used to it definitely.

I have the same setup and like it a lot - particularly at the track whether auto-x or strip :) It's beastly there. If you expect to drive it the same way as stock (on the street), yes there will be chatter. There is an adjustment period for street. I drive mine daily and have learned to operate it very smoothly. Personally, I find that the engagement is higher, pedal stiffer and most importantly: engage at about 1K - 1.5K and let off the clutch pedal much more quickly than stock = smooth takeoff.

Maybe a little off topic but does anyone know how much the factory clutch is rated at as far as what it can handle for power?

It's probably rated at about 320 lb/ft.....seems to be able to hold Stage 2 power levels very well in many applications, but it's life is definitely shortened. Seems to consistently slip by the time someone is putting down 350wtq.

I have the same setup and like it a lot - particularly at the track whether auto-x or strip :) It's beastly there. If you expect to drive it the same way as stock (on the street), yes there will be chatter. There is an adjustment period for street. I drive mine daily and have learned to operate it very smoothly. Personally, I find that the engagement is higher, pedal stiffer and most importantly: engage at about 1K - 1.5K and let off the clutch pedal much more quickly than stock = smooth takeoff.

You gotta show me your moves some day!

LOL

Yea, I have to get used to it.

I did have a 4 puck on my civic back then so I know how this works but the pressure plate being so heavy is some other thing.

:spin:

I picked up the SB5-HDMM and WRX flywheel. Waiting for them to arrive before I have them installed. I can't wait to learn how to drive again! I got the WRX flywheel from Fred Beans, but they were out of the ACT clutch and wouldn't have any until early July. I had to call around and Rick at IAG performance really came through for me! I should have the parts by the middle of next week and have my car running strong again by the start of July. Right now my poor leggy only has 1st and 2nd gear without significant slippage.

One thing I noticed about the LWFL is that the boost kicks in earlier than the stock one.

I can't say if this is just me or beacuse of the LFWL.

Now stop an go traffic...:lol:

It's doable but won't be too much of a fun.

But that's with the 6 puck so I really can't say which one is causing the uncomfortable feeling.

Other than that, It's pretty good.

I don't regret changing to this at all.

So I ended up purchasing the act HDMM clutch & LWFW. Got it installed last wednesday. So far its been well worth the money. It engages a lot quicker than stock and the lwfw definetly seems to rev a lot quicker.

Archived