LegacyGT.com

Opinions on Clay Bar?

Are all the cool kids doing it? Does it really make a difference? I just picked up a kit and I'm gonna do ma car this week. What's the best wax to use when I'm done? I'm a total noob to this detailing game. Thanks much, guise.

Huge difference, especially if it hasn't been done in a while.

How much work do you want to do after cleaning?

One, two, three steps?

Want something that is really best for shine, or something a little less but lasts and protects much longer?

Klasse if you wanna go acrylic, All-in-One followed by Sealant.

Do it twice a year, and I just got asked if I waxed the car as well, first time I washed the car in about three months, hehe. The stuff lasts.

clay is magic; i follow up with wolfgang, but i would like to try AIO someday, as well.

...twice a year for me, too.

the back gets broken (because it's basically like doing 3 hand waxes back-to-back), but the results are stupendous ;)

Well I'm not a cool kid but I use it. It's absolutely amazing what it pulls out of your paint...you'll be in shock. As for being a noob, just wash it nicely (with like dawn, helps remove the old wax), clay the bad boy, then wash it once more to get all the residue off (use your typical wash mix here), then put a nice hand polish on it to give it a nice, smooth, finish, then follow it up with some good wax. Then you're set to go, not too much craziness involved there, basically 3 steps!

I just finished doing a 3 step detail on new SE last weekend.

If you want a lot of good info on wash/dry/wax/sealant/polish/glaze etc., I'd suggest http://www.autopia.org/. Tons of info.

The route I ended up going after some research went like this:

I bought this wash/dry kit http://www.properautocare.com/madewadrykit.html. Gave the care a good wash and dry then went at it with the clay bar.

I just bought a McGuire's clay bar kit at autozone. It didn't take very long to do actually. The kit comes with a couple of clay bars, lubricant and a microfiber towel. Just use lots of lubricant so you don't streak the clay and work in small areas. Also, cut the clay bars in half so if you drop one and have to throw it out you won't be losing that much clay. My car is 3 weeks old so the clay didn't pick up much but i figured if I started with a good base it couldn't hurt.

I also bought the Klasse Concours Kit (http://www.properautocare.com/klasconkit.html). Went at the car with the All in One per the instructions then put on a coat of the sealant. Everything went on smooth but I followed the instructions to a "T" because I'd heard the stories about using too much of either of those products and having to scrub forever to get the excess off. I bouth the kits because they came with the microfiber towles and the applicators. Overall the paint looks awesome and it feels like glass. From what the other guys have said the sealant should last 6 months minimum. If you want even more shine/depth you can throw some carnuba wax over the sealant after it dries completely (24 hours).

Bottom line...clay gives you a good base to put down wax/sealant. Wheather or not the cool kids are doing it. Sorry for the long post. Still have all this in my head from the research.

Robert

Definitely clay your car. I did about 8 months ago and my paint still feels like glass after I wash it. I was really amazed at the difference in the smoothness of the paint. Through the winter snow came off the car really easily cause it had nothing to stick to after clay and wax.

It is time for another summer time claying here soon. :)

Yay for clay I hear you say

I took some time the other day

I washed then dried and there I stood

I sprayed and clayed my entire hood

looked so good that I felt faint

I did it to all the other paint

Only problem was how long it took

And now away I just can't look

Now all the dirt and pollen's back

I should have taken the time to wax

I was tired and it was getting late

I'm sure there are others that relate

I'll wash and wax later this week

And my Scoob'll look hella sleek

claybar is the best invention since sliced bread. seriously.

I clay my car once a year followed by paint cleaner then a light polish then wax.

I wash my car once a week and spray wax, and do a regular paste wax once every 4 to 6 weeks.

After you are done claying your car the paint will feel like it is smooth as glass. I got the mothers kit, but have used clay magic before. Just be sure to "kneed" the bar as it starts to look grimy, and use more clay lube/spray as you feel the bar starting to "drag". Make sure you do this in the shade when the paint is on the cooler side.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a craftsman work stool, which really helps out the ole back. I have also taught my 3 year old to spray cleaner on. I hope to have him doing all the work down low in a couple years so my back isn't sore when I'm done!

I barred and waxed again this past weekend. It's like f***ing glass! Only problem is that it makes the door dings and imperfections stand out like crazy. It's a good muse for poetry though, which is always a plus.

Thanks to the first full sunny day in about 2 months, I did a full claybar/sealant detail yesterday. 2 washes, clay, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and it shines up nice. Although only having one day to enjoy the shine was sad.

Results are phenomenal. I always forget how dirty the surface is until I bar it up. I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone else, but I found the most contaminated surface of the car was the rear. It took me a few passes to get all the raildust and tar out.

I use the clay bar once a month, mostly to keep the paint shining like no other, it can get pricey buying the claybar frequently, but honestly, if you dont wanna go that far like i do, just clay it once in october-november to prep it for the winter, then when the weather warms up in march-april clay it again to get whatever is on your car from the winter off, do it again mid summer and just repeat that cycle every year. it really helps your cars paint.

yeah i do what others post on here, thoroughly wash my car with wash and water Mr. Clean Auto Dry works perfectly fine for your wash since it has all the cycles the mist, soap, rise, and powerwash settings it dries less than 10 minutes if you wanna be impatient just wipe it down no issues since the water beads up. Mothers california gold clay bar with instant detailer works great, thoroughly wipe all the residue off (some people like to wash it lightly again, i feel its unneccessary to do that)

then use your choice in wax. I like Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax i like to apply it all by hand i dont like using liquid wax with a buffer. then wipe it down and enjoy!

this is how mine came out the last time i clayed it (that was about 4 hours after i did a complete detail to the car)

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/4165_670587061249_25826154_39770989_420464_n.jpg

and this was a picture i took monday its been over a month since my last clay bar you can see how it holds uphttp://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs099.snc1/4746_677268985619_25826154_40064639_5000211_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
if you have swp like me then its the only way to get all the small rust spots from fallout off the paint. it took me a good 2 hours just to clay the truck, and rear bumper!!! i have yet to make it down the sides of the car, but damn if the rear end isnt better then new.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Depending on how old your car is and since the last time you clay barred the car, it could take anywhere between a half hour to 4 maybe 5 hours with a clay bar, a buddy of mine bought a 98 LGT that was sitting under a tree for about a month he spent 5 hours with the claybar to fix the car and now it looks mint!

I just recently clayed my car. This is the 2nd time its been done. I did it myself with a meguiars kit, a small white bar and detail spray. Its time consuming and I didn't do all of it.. basically I ran my hand over the surface and anywhere that felt like sandpaper after washing I ran the bar over.

I was AMAZED/horrified at how quickly debris that I couldn't even see came off the paint.

The worst spots were the horizontal surfaces, hood, roof, trunk lid, spoiler top.. the front bumper, and around the wheels.

It doesn't LOOK any different.. but it feels much better and I feel better knowing that there's less debirs in my paint now.

I followed it up with a good waxing... and an hour later.. we had a thunderstorm. :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived