LegacyGT.com

pzev rough idle at startup - sales says that's normal

Hey Guys-

On an Outback 2009 non-turbo 2.5 engine that's PZEV, when the engine is first started (cold) it idles rough. The idle goes up and down up and down up and down for a few minutes. Sales said this was normal of the PZEV due to the emissions control.

Is this really typical of PZEV?

I would assume it's as a result of warming the cats up enough for the ECU to actually be as PZEV as they claim it to be...

But I could be wrong...

On a side note, I have yet to understand how they can describe something as Partially Zero Emissions...it is either Zero (0) or something else....

Hey Guys-

On an Outback 2009 non-turbo 2.5 engine that's PZEV, when the engine is first started (cold) it idles rough. The idle goes up and down up and down up and down for a few minutes. Sales said this was normal of the PZEV due to the emissions control.

Is this really typical of PZEV?

mine does this too.

Pzev vehicles have an air diverter pump that reroutes air to improve start up emissions. Eccess noise is expected. The idle may be a little off at warm up due to this procces however if it is a true inconvienence take it to service to have it checked out.

My '07 GT is kind of a weird idle too where it goes up and down a bit at times. I never payed much attention to it because it was the same way on my last two (non turbo) subarus too.

hey johnish, im a tech for subaru and, yes the rough idle is normal. it has to do with the alcohol blends in the fuels and the way the ecu logic handles cold starts for the pzev system. mostly its because the ecu retards timing at idle to fire the cats ASAP and thats y u get the exhaust noise and idle fluctuation. i have noticed though, if u either put the car in drive (automatic), or u blip the trottle a little bit the harshness will subside for the most part.

-ps. i can copy the TSB's and email them to you if you'd like, just gimme an email address

IMO, the rough idle is just when your car has been sitting below operating temperature.

When I first start up my car (which is PZEV as well) I get rough idle while the car warms up. After about 2 minutes when the car has reached the bottom level of the temperature sensor, the RPM's get to 500rpm's (real idle) as opposed to how the car warms up idling at 1500rpm's. Then the car idles very smoothly.

Try letting it warm up for 2 minutes, the rpm's should drop to 500rpm's, and by then the idle should be fairly smooth.

Try that and let us know what happens.

Archived