LegacyGT.com

the car suddenly

while merging on the beltway last week, I was on 2nd gear pulling from 2k rpm to red line, before reaching 6k the car suddenly "jerked" (like an hard engine-break feeling)the RPM went down to 5k rpm. No CEL came on. I let go of the gas, then shift to 3rd gear then continue to pull up to 3k or 4k rpm (can't remember the exact RPM I was on). I haven't had the chance to try and reproduce it again. What should I look for as far as to diagnose this?

I just installed AEM CAI on the car last week. It wasn't raining at all when I was drove the car home.

Thanks!

~Dru

nope! :lol:

would the intake be the culprit? :spin:

I would either get that tuned ASAP or put the stock box on right away. You are probably running way too lean and could cause some serious damage.

Im still waiting for my Tactrix cable. Should I take it off or keep it there till I get my Tactrix cable?

I would change back until you get the tactrix cable. Are you going to get an e-tune? I use Infamous1, he knows his stuff;

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997

Whoever your tuner, I would ask them how to proceed as far as changing from stock to the AEM.

I am going with Infamous1 also. Im waiting for itsme's 07+ FMIC then go stage2.

I have my DP and CBE waiting. I will install it once I get my hands on the FMIC.

I would like to get stage 2 now, but I might blow my endtank. so um waiting for the FMIC.

I am going with Infamous1 also. Im waiting for itsme's 07+ FMIC then go stage2.

I have my DP and CBE waiting. I will install it once I get my hands on the FMIC.

I would like to get stage 2 now, but I might blow my endtank. so um waiting for the FMIC.

Wise choice. Get that stock intake back on now, and ask Infamous1 how to proceed with what you want to do. Good luck.

I'm not a tuning guru, but stock except for an air intake shouldn't require a tune. I ran my car with that and an exhaust for about 10k with no problems. I would take it off just in case, but you def don't need a tune for just an air intake.

I not claiming to be an expert, but as I understand it, the MAF sensor only counts the air speed of flow across it's sensor. Then cubic airflow is calculated by the cross sectional area of the intake. If the AEM intake has a significantly larger cross sectional area than stock (which I think it does), the ECU will think there is less air in the A/F mixture than there actually is and the car will run lean. IMHO, this is dangerous. Given what the OP experienced in the opening post, I would be quite concerned at the least that he is running too lean. Even when the stock box is put back on, the car should be driven easily until the ECU learns it's way back to stock A/F ratio.

Are there intakes that don't need a tune - maybe, at best. I have heard from others that you need to tune any new intake. Maybe you were lucky. But, that won't help the OP if he damages his engine.

while merging on the beltway last week, I was on 2nd gear pulling from 2k rpm to red line, before reaching 6k the car suddenly "jerked" (like an hard engine-break feeling)the RPM went down to 5k rpm. No CEL came on. I let go of the gas, then shift to 3rd gear then continue to pull up to 3k or 4k rpm (can't remember the exact RPM I was on). I haven't had the chance to try and reproduce it again. What should I look for as far as to diagnose this?

I just installed AEM CAI on the car last week. It wasn't raining at all when I was drove the car home.

Thanks!

~Dru

That reminds me of something a friend of mine experienced. He was out test driving a car for a car manufacturer and when they did come up to a certain airflow the air intake "collapsed" effectively strangling the engine. It did bounce out again as soon as they eased off on the throttle so it took a while to figure that one out. You may want to check if that may have been the cause.

453747.png

Since nobody mentioned it.. it was probably fuel cut. And yes because your car got too much airflow.

I'm thinking this too.

Years ago I had the same type issue and then again just after a retune. Years ago when I dropped it into 3rd on a long on ramp the car just stumbled. Shifted back into 4th and it was fine. After the retune, it would hit redline much faster then before. I have learned...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

nope! :lol:

would the intake be the culprit? :spin:

Aftermarket intakes come with their own MAF housing, which is most likely going to be sized differently than the OEM MAF housing. Since the MAF is calibrated for the stock housing size, the airflow number is going to be off, and if the aftermarket housing is sized larger than the OEM housing you'll experience a lean condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Tactrix cable today. Anybody with AEM CAI with stock injectors tune willing to share it with me? :) I guess one way for me to learn how to tune is to log my tune now, and try reach the other tune results. If its feasible.

you know, tweak stuff and pray not to blow the motor. LOL!

I not claiming to be an expert, but as I understand it, the MAF sensor only counts the air speed of flow across it's sensor. Then cubic airflow is calculated by the cross sectional area of the intake. If the AEM intake has a significantly larger cross sectional area than stock (which I think it does), the ECU will think there is less air in the A/F mixture than there actually is and the car will run lean. IMHO, this is dangerous. Given what the OP experienced in the opening post, I would be quite concerned at the least that he is running too lean. Even when the stock box is put back on, the car should be driven easily until the ECU learns it's way back to stock A/F ratio.

Are there intakes that don't need a tune - maybe, at best. I have heard from others that you need to tune any new intake. Maybe you were lucky. But, that won't help the OP if he damages his engine.

+ 1

Get infamous1 to do it, he knows his $#!^

Archived