LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT engine pics! Turbo, manifold, TMIC

Btw, Subaru really made sure to make the turbo upgrade a bitch. Look at the compressor cover with the flanges, it even has a flange for the inlet.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Btw, Subaru really made sure to make the turbo upgrade a bitch. Look at the compressor cover with the flanges, it even has a flange for the inlet.

It will be easier then the stupid inlet tube we have now.

I for one, am actually quite excited to see what Subaru will have in-store for us.

Maybe the next STI (cause LGT is too big now) will have DI, and the turbo under the motor. That might make for some wicked mod potential. Maybe a TS3076 will spool at 3000 rpm given the proximity to the cylinder heads.

I like the flange. Yes, it makes it harder to upgrade (more flanges will be needed)... but at the same time you feel more comfortable about the seal IMO. Compressing an O-ring with 2-bolts makes for a good seal and you don't have to worry about hose clamps, etc. At the same time, there is less room for "give". You will have to have a hump-hose on aftermarket intakes... I foresee a flange being made that you clamp a hump hose onto for aftermarket intakes.

Well, I should have said - it's unlikely it's twinscroll. One, the exhaust housing doesn't look like one. Two, this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Rutch/CarPics/noscroll.jpg

If the gasket is as pictured, then its prolly not a TS, but dont forget that this ins only a sketch. It may be drawn wrong. definitive proof would be pics of the actual turbo, which we have not seen yet.

^ I know very well, I have that turbo :)

Note, the inlets are still offset and you can see the scrolls in exhaust housing.

If it was a twinscroll the gasket should separate both streams.

Ugh, I'm going to my dealership tonight to order the gasket along with some other parts. If the gasket is oval like in the service manual, then it is definately NOT twin scroll. If the streams aren't separated, it's not twin scroll.

I know when I posted my pics I said it was twin scroll, I've studied it more, I really doubt it is TS now. If you take a good look at that JDM manifold and turbo off the car, you can see the hotside of the turbo just funnels both exhaust streams into one. Our best bet at this point is that they start using this turbo placement on the WRX/STi eventually. Still a crapshoot, but I wouldn't think they'd do all this redesigning just for one chassis.

Ugh, I'm going to my dealership tonight to order the gasket along with some other parts. If the gasket is oval like in the service manual, then it is definately NOT twin scroll. If the streams aren't separated, it's not twin scroll.

I know when I posted my pics I said it was twin scroll, I've studied it more, I really doubt it is TS now. If you take a good look at that JDM manifold and turbo off the car, you can see the hotside of the turbo just funnels both exhaust streams into one. Our best bet at this point is that they start using this turbo placement on the WRX/STi eventually. Still a crapshoot, but I wouldn't think they'd do all this redesigning just for one chassis.

In the past they were known to experiment with strange setups on Legacy turbo. 3rd gen. JDM turbo (and also 2nd, but I am unsure) had a weird twin turbo setup, while Impreza kept the original single turbo setup (exhaust plumbing wise) from the 1st generation Legacy turbo. JDM 4th generation Legacy got a unusual twinscroll setup incompatible with the JDM STI, while USDM went back to Impreza layout.

In other words - who knows...

• 2 months later...

it seems like for a car that's gonna get driven and sold all over the world, a front, low mounted turbo doesn't seem like the best spot?

I mean isn't a lot of crap gonna get all over that thing, even with a shield/skidplate and whatnot.

it seems like for a car that's gonna get driven and sold all over the world, a front, low mounted turbo doesn't seem like the best spot?

I mean isn't a lot of crap gonna get all over that thing, even with a shield/skidplate and whatnot.

Go ask all the Evo owners of the world.

And what do they have to say? Cause i was wondering about that when these things came out.

As for the twin and single scroll, the JDM 2L's will undoubtedly be twin. No idea about the "world spec" 2.5's though.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Thinking of putting a bigger turbo on the LGT 2010+ new low mount location.

But the exhaust manifold seems to be very restrictive, I guesstimate the ID of the runners to be ~30mm, only. that, compare to the 40mm Exhaust port IDs...

And, the merger is only ~55-degrees - plenty of exhaust turbulence and some

will definitely be pushed back into the opposing cylinder...

Is there anybody who makes an after market upgrade to exhaust manifold for there 2010+ LGT which address the above issues ?

Thanks!

Holy old thread resurrection man!!! I think 5 years + is a new record. Lol!

Take some time to look in the 5th Gen model specific forum. There are multiple discussions going on right now about aftermarket headers, etc. Also, folks have been putting 18g and 20g turbos on our cars for some time now. Our header setup is great for low end torque, not top end power like other Subarus. We need to go twin scroll if that's ever going to happen, so join those other discussions.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived